Composite video?

Reaction score
Sony Exmor more than likely, would have to check the spec sheets.. majority of 1080p+ IPCameras (and nearly all camera phones) use them.. some older or lower res ones are using the pre-exmor sony digital ccd
It's 640x480. Where can I find this information? Spec sheet link?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
There is this website called google, which reported back on the first link to a website called foscam.com... there they confirmed its using a Sony CCD, which as I told you is a digital imaging sensor and cant be "hacked" to take an analogue input from another source.

Your going about this entirely the wrong way; theres plenty of hardware that can do what you want.. and not one of em is an IPCamera.. Why not just get a usb analogue video capture device in a laptop and do it the easy way?

The ONLY way your getting what you want is to put a monitor up and point your foscam at it, im sure the quality will be great!

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
that DSP isint going to take a composite video input; Digital Signal Processor.. see the digital part, he's going to have to digitize it first (and into the exact same format and specs as the ccd outputs).. and I bet thats only the output, can he input to the DSP over USB?

He is wanting to cut the CCD out and inject an analogue video stream into the cameras DSP and out the ethernet port via an IP stream... which is a pipe dream at best.. .no IP camera I know of has any analogue inputs and takes digital data right off the image sensor without an ADC anywhere in the mix.. the IP cameras with an analogue output use a DAC to convert the digital signal into analogue output, but the source is still digital.

Last edited by a moderator:

networkcameracritic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I too doubt that what you want to do makes any sense. What makes more sense is what people use for FPV on RC stuff now, already made for that purpose like GoPro or Mobius. Also, these surveillance cameras are very heavy, over 1lbs and use a lot of power, does not even make sense. If you are the experimental type, get a Raspberry Pi, put a 5MP camera board on it and a 5.8ghz wireless device.

Reaction score
You're not understanding what I'm trying to do. Even if I have to convert from analog to digital using a single chip, it would still be worth doing it this way, because I'd save $35,000 compared to the other option presented. I can't leave my PC at a remote location Nayr. Since I don't care about quality, only cost, I think you hit upon the obvious answer! At least for my prototype.

Last edited by a moderator:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
i dont see how that will cost $35k, but then again nothing you say makes much sence.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
i dont see how that will cost $35k, but then again nothing you say makes much sence...

your simply freaking insane.

Reaction score
Thanks Don, he's been a D*** since my very first post on this forum. He still doesn't appreciate that I've been an EE and Ham since 1978, and I'm not that old. Let me introduce myself. I've worked for Fortune 500 companies my whole life, managing and designing systems that serve 1000's of users since 1988. I've designed an entire factory including inventory, PLC's, vision systems, and robotics. I'm famous for the software I've written including an article in Time about my innovations. So I'm not an expert on IP cams, shoot me. I know more about video and JPG compression than he's pretended to. I developed Magic Lantern firmware for Canon cameras. I've been flying FPV since before there was FPV. Now working for a defense contractor in the drone industry. Remember when it costs $10k to build a small toy? Anyway...

Interest forum thread you linked to.

I also have some experience with the legal issues of photography, at the beach, and from above. I've been flying all summer, and took some amazing footage from 4,000ft, oops I mean 400ft. I've been busted by cops and asked to show them my work, which they deleted from my camera. Then I won a civil suit against them. I'm no stranger to photography and the law. I've been using a UAV to photograph accident scenes and PI work for years. My family works for the FBI, and I'm aware of their capabilities. You wouldn't believe me if I told you. I've recovered stolen vehicles from junk yards with information from above being used for the warrant. Yes, that is legal.

Can you show me an example of an affordable IP camera model where there is a composite video signal inside? If that exists it can be used for input or output. That's how electrons work. I will find it inside if you can just tell me for sure it's there. My Foscam Fi8910w just came today, it's for another project. Does it have the signal I'm looking for?

Reaction score
Does anyone else have a useful opinion for my project? I'm not asking those I'm already PM'ing with. When I have success I will post it here, along pictures of the completed project. It will give me satisfaction after being told it is impossible by someone who has not a Clue. Already I have a working prototype after 5 minutes of effort and help. Yeah, it's Impossible. Better go spend money!

Razer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I wish there was an easy way or an easy way to get video out composite too, but I've not found a simple way myself anyway. I have needed analog and IP out of cameras for a few specific uses, but no longer have current need of that anymore. I hope you get what you need figured out, it would be interesting for sure.

Now I need the Hikvision cube cameras to also work as webcams through USB at the same time they are working as an IP camera. No luck there lol, I always come up with oddball requirements for my camera uses too!

If I were personally looking for analog out and it did not specifically need to be an actual IP camera I would look at one of the SJCAM 4000 or 5000 models as they will output an analog signal while they are also recording. For right around $100 for 1080p and wireless in the 4000 model they are a pretty good deal. I'm getting one to record in our conference room here soon as a better alternative to an expensive gopro. I might get the 5000 model just becasue why not get the higher fps? :)

http://www.sjcam.com/home/29-sjcam-sj5000-plus-ambarella-a7ls75-1080p-60fps-sport-action-camera.html