Computer crashed ....... again

Cor

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Greetings,

When I bought my new computer last year (I-7 latest generation) I had lots of problems with max CPU and or memery usage. This was "solved" by an older video driver.

But now on 2 occasions the memory went up again to 9-10GB ( normally it is in my case around 4.4GB). reinstalled the 4664 driver ad all seemed ok .... until a day or so later. I saw the memory ( or was it cpu?) going through the roof again. I stopped blue iris in task manager and wanted to restart.
Now I have ( again) a boot problem "critical_ process_ died" and the computer won't start anymore , also not in safe mode. Probably I will have to install windows 10 again next week when I am home ..... no cameras for the next 7 days ... very bad , I think I am addicted looking what's going on when I am not at home :oops:

Anyway , this is now the second time in les than 6 months , and I have no idea how to solve it , the only thing I can think off and do is a fresh start , windows and BI.

-Anyone knows how it works when blue iris is not deactivated? If I remember well , you can install it only a couple of times! , I think this will be the third time I ran into problems without being able to deactivate.

-I don't have a backup / export of my latest changes ( I think) of blue iris . I saw I can still look around on the HD with explorer when I use a flashdrive with some tools trying to restore windows 10 . Is there a file I can copy to keep my configuration? maybe even for the licence code-deactivate?

-Last thing on my mind is , what about next time. This crashing of my computer and BI not working , not able to watch my cameras , it is very frustrating . AND always happends when I am about to go away from home for a couple of days of wen I am allready gone. I do have my older I5 ( previous BI-computer) , which I don't use a lot. I am thinking of making that a backup-plan. Install BI there as well , and when there are issues , shut down the new computer , run BI on the older computer and I am back in business Untill I am home again . BUT , I don't think I can use the same licence-key for this ...... can I? . The only option I can think of is buy a second licence for that once-twice a year :confused:.... Anyone has another solution?

Thanks,
Cor

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
On BI you can move license keys between computers. You can deactivate the Key and reinstall the key on another computer. The computer must be connected to the internet to deactivate the key.

I would do a clean install of Windows 10. Then install BI. Nothing else, no antivirus, nothing else..

Cor

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@ Qtm: Nope a own build computer with a very clean install of windows 10. I suspect an issue with the video driver , and something went wrong with re-installing that 4664 driver .

@ SouthernYankee: Yes , I know ; the problem is , like now . I am unable to boot the machine , so I can not deactivate BI . I need a backup for when that happends again.

Cor

Tmos

n3wb
Reaction score
1 Does it have a UPS backup?
2 How many watts is your power supply?
3 How warm does it get? Is it well cooled?
4 Have you check the HD for issues. Can you pull it and run a scan on it?

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
If you're using a UPS, is it a pure sine wave type if the PC has a power supply with active power factor correction?

Cor

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi Guys ;

I appreciate the answer , but I am not asking for a solution of the faulty computer/windows~!

@J Sigmo; I am pretty sure my UPS has the injected warp drive core!

My questions are:

-Can I get the config file somehow , using file explorer or the command prompt?
-A solution how to use a backup computer with blue iris - licence key , when the "main" computer is not working anymore , so also not able to deactivate the key.

Thanks,
Cor

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Guys ;

I appreciate the answer , but I am not asking for a solution of the faulty computer/windows~!

@J Sigmo; I am pretty sure my UPS has the injected warp drive core!

My questions are:

-Can I get the config file somehow , using file explorer or the command prompt?
-A solution how to use a backup computer with blue iris - licence key , when the "main" computer is not working anymore , so also not able to deactivate the key.

Thanks,
Cor
C:\Program Files\Blue Iris 4
this will contain the registry backups BI does automatically.
You should still be able to install and activate even if you didnt deactivate. The issue arises when you do it repeatedly.

Cor

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@fenderman ; thaks for the answer, cool , that will make it easier to set eveeything up again, hopefully that automatic backup was from not that long ago.
Repeatedly....... I think this is the third time now when I had to install without deactivating due to problems..... When I activate next time , and than deactivate , will that "reset" the totall tries?

Thanks,
Cor

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@fenderman ; thaks for the answer, cool , that will make it easier to set eveeything up again, hopefully that automatic backup was from not that long ago.
Repeatedly....... I think this is the third time now when I had to install without deactivating due to problems..... When I activate next time , and than deactivate , will that "reset" the totall tries?

Thanks,
Cor
There is something wrong on your end. I have over 20 BI installations running for many years and I have never had to reinstall except for a new version and one HDD failure.
I dont know how the activation mechanism works.

Cor

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@fenderman : I know , and I can not figure out what. On 1 occasion the HD failed. 1 occasion windows doesn't boot anymore ( after I reinstalled the 4664 video driver) , and couple of days ago the same.... last year , brand new computer , fresh windows 10 . but with that memory leak I pull my hair out.

Cor