Computer help please

99ls1tj

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've read the wiki. I'm running a HP Elitedesk with an I54570 and 16 gigs of ram. I'm running 1 1080p camera and 6 hikvision 4 k bullet cameras. I have 2 of the 4k cameras set to their lowest resolution. My cpu is running 95-100% now. I'm guessing I'm going to have to upgrade my BI computer. I don't want to cheap out and have to upgrade again. I'm looking at the possibility of adding 2 more 4k cameras as well. Any suggestions on how to economically (links are great) upgrade my BI computer to handle my cameras? Thank you

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I've read the wiki. I'm running a HP Elitedesk with an I54570 and 16 gigs of ram. I'm running 1 1080p camera and 6 hikvision 4 k bullet cameras. I have 2 of the 4k cameras set to their lowest resolution. My cpu is running 95-100% now. I'm guessing I'm going to have to upgrade my BI computer. I don't want to cheap out and have to upgrade again. I'm looking at the possibility of adding 2 more 4k cameras as well. Any suggestions on how to economically (links are great) upgrade my BI computer to handle my cameras? Thank you
Post an image of the status page >cameras so we can see the actual load.
For a new setup, see choosing hardware in the wiki,.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Is this what you want to see? I deleted 2 of my cameras since my posting, but moved the quality of the other 2 back to 4k. I added 1 camera back before I took the screenshot.
No. On the top left click on the arrow graph to the left of the question mark. Then select cameras.

99ls1tj

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I know you said you've read the Wiki, but did you get a chance to implement the Optimization steps? That'd probably be my first port of call.

I did, but to be honest I just checked the direct to disk recording and the frame rate on the 4k cameras. I didn't think the other settings would help enough. Maybe I should go through the whole thing? Thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
My bad. Thanks
You are pushing the limits of your system.
Are you using a 4k monitor? That will take a huge amount of resources.
I see that hardware acceleration is only being used on one camera? Is that because you are using h.265?
If you want more headroom for future expansion look at an i7-8700 or up. An i5-8500 will sit at about 30 percent on that load.
In the mean time lower all your frame rates to 15 or less - in the cameras. Lower the live view frame rate to 10 or less.
Enable hardware acceleration on all cams if using h264, your processor does not support h265 HA.

99ls1tj

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am not using a 4k monitor
I do have the cameras set to h.265 in the camera setup menus
Attached are the BI and the camera software settings for my 5 bullet cameras. Is there somewhere else I need to go to enable hardware acceleration? Sorry, a bit confused on that.
I understand I'm maxing out my system. I'm going to try to upgrade soon, but Covid has hit me in the wallet pretty hard for the near future.
I'll look into lowering the frame rate on my ipc-hdw2231r-zs. The bullet cameras are already set to 15fps. I'll check the live view frame rate as well.
Thank you

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I am not using a 4k monitor
I do have the cameras set to h.265 in the camera setup menus
Attached are the BI and the camera software settings for my 5 bullet cameras. Is there somewhere else I need to go to enable hardware acceleration? Sorry, a bit confused on that.
I understand I'm maxing out my system. I'm going to try to upgrade soon, but Covid has hit me in the wallet pretty hard for the near future.
I'll look into lowering the frame rate on my ipc-hdw2231r-zs. The bullet cameras are already set to 15fps. I'll check the live view frame rate as well.
Thank you
Your processor does not support HA for 265. Lower all your frame rates to 10. At 100 percent you will miss video or crash. Lower live preview rates as explained in the wiki.
There is a limit decoding option that will significantly lower cpu, but read wiki and understand the downsides.

99ls1tj

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So I should change all the video encoding settings in the camera software to H264? I think I can figure you the rest. thx

99ls1tj

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Does this seem like a good deal? I considered building one or starting with a barebones, but then I believe I have to buy Windows 10 so there's really no cost savings. I used to build computers years
ago, but I lost the desire to do so. Surely HP computers are reliable these days?

Computer

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

area651

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Does this seem like a good deal? I considered building one or starting with a barebones, but then I believe I have to buy Windows 10 so there's really no cost savings. I used to build computers years
ago, but I lost the desire to do so. Surely HP computers are reliable these days?

Computer
you didn't ask me so you're welcome to discard it but here are my thoughts:
RAM - it looks like that system is already at 8gb ram and thats the max it can take? imho, you'd want your BI system to have 16gb at least. Right now I only have 8gb and I'm looking forward to the day that I can get to 16gb. (I'm just waiting to find that pile of money laying around here somewhere. Now where did I put it?....)

HDD - Also if it were me, I'd want at least a 4tb drive. 10tb would be awesome but then I'm greedy like that. I like the idea of storing at least 2wks of video footage on all cams. That's just my wish though.

SSD (that's the optane) - to me, that's not really needed if you got a big enough HDD. Yeah I guess you could run the OS on it but at only 16gb, that's barely enough for 32bit windows and not big enough to house the OS if you want 64bit.

When it comes to computer shopping on ebay , I focus on systems that are being clearances off business lease. There's lots of sellers selling them and you could get a system that was in a Dr office that was used very little.

area651

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Here's the Hp support spec page for that system. It looks liek to go larger than 8gb of ram then MUST be running 64 bit OS. Still, I think there's better out there for ya,

HOLY CRAP! I just noticed the price! Its $10 short of $500. Nah man.....no way.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

Computer
That is overpriced. Look for a deal on an elitedesk or prodesk with the same processor. You will get windows pro as well as a better machine.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
check systems that run BI. The stats are general, MP/Sec is about the Best measurement number. The camera count is not a good number.

Read the wiki on BI hardware. To effectively use hardware acceleration for h265 use a 6th gen intel processor or newer.

for now
1) I would set all cameras to h.264
2) Set the frame rate to 10 and the Ifame to 10 or 20
3) on Blue iris setting, camera tab select Intel
4) on the camera setting set , video, set hardware accleration to default.
5) i use limit decodding, on some non critical cameras.
This is just the start

intelgpu1.jpg

intelGPU2.jpg

99ls1tj

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That is overpriced. Look for a deal on an elitedesk or prodesk with the same processor. You will get windows pro as well as a better machine.
I found a couple Prodesks for $599. Does that sound overpriced? Those were the least expensive ones I could find on EBay. Thx

Kn10

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I found a couple Prodesks for $599. Does that sound overpriced? Those were the least expensive ones I could find on EBay. Thx
Too many variables to tell. It could be a 10 year old machine or a 6 month old machine. Share the specs and the eBay country you are using. Or even better, share the eBay link.

99ls1tj

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Too many variables to tell. It could be a 10 year old machine or a 6 month old machine. Share the specs and the eBay country you are using. Or even better, share the eBay link.

I7-8700