Computer recommendation for 7 HD cameras with BlueIris

jrn

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have been a spectator to this forum quiet some time and enjoyed a lot of good topics, tips and hints so far. Thanks a lot for that!

While I have been using my current computer/camera setup a lot, I recently added more HD cameras (Hikvision DS-2CD2042WD-I), totaling 7 cameras, and now my computer is running at >90% constantly - an Intel NUC i3 4010 @1700MHz with 8GB RAM installed, Windows 7 (Home).

I did follow some great advice already, e.g. to use direct-to-disc, limit the live frame rate and recording frame rate but couldn't use the hardware acceleration yet since it's not supported by my current setup I guess.

Since my computer is almost running at 100% without even recording anything, I think it's time to upgrade.
What would be a good setup to buy that will last me a couple years even if I were to add two or three more cameras?
Should I look into buying a Dell (warehouse deal?) or is it cheaper to buy the parts (I don't have any issues putting the computer together by myself)?

Thank you very much for your help and looking forward to reading your replies,

jrn

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have been a spectator to this forum quiet some time and enjoyed a lot of good topics, tips and hints so far. Thanks a lot for that!

While I have been using my current computer/camera setup a lot, I recently added more HD cameras (Hikvision DS-2CD2042WD-I), totaling 7 cameras, and now my computer is running at >90% constantly - an Intel NUC i3 4010 @1700MHz with 8GB RAM installed, Windows 7 (Home).

I did follow some great advice already, e.g. to use direct-to-disc, limit the live frame rate and recording frame rate but couldn't use the hardware acceleration yet since it's not supported by my current setup I guess.

Since my computer is almost running at 100% without even recording anything, I think it's time to upgrade.
What would be a good setup to buy that will last me a couple years even if I were to add two or three more cameras?
Should I look into buying a Dell (warehouse deal?) or is it cheaper to buy the parts (I don't have any issues putting the computer together by myself)?

Thank you very much for your help and looking forward to reading your replies,

jrn
Welcome to the forum, you computer is running a very low power i3-U laptop processor...its only scores a 2400 on passmark...by comparison a modern i5-6500 skylake system scores 7000....however, your processor does support quicksync...so hardware acceleration should work, try that first. Search the forum for optiplex and elitedesk...an i5-6500 based system can be had for around 300.
Here is an example, ask the seller to check the warranty status or provide you with the serial number..you can check it yourself on hp's website..
HP Elitedesk 800 G2 Business PC Intel i5-6500 3.2Ghz 8GB 500GB Win 8.1 - P4K16UT | eBay
Make a 300 dollar offer, you will likely get it. Note it indicates windows 8.1 but check with the seller, that cannot be accurate...

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reactions: jrn

jrn

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you very much! I'll look into this computer.
What do you think of this one?
Dell OptiPlex 7040 MT
i7-6700 (6th Generation)
8GB
500GB (no SSD though, so will add SSD)
AMD R7 350 4GB (not really needed for this setup I guess...)
~$550

[...]however, your processor does support quicksync...so hardware acceleration should work, try that first. [...]
Whenever I enable hardware acceleration all cameras stay blank and I don't get a signal anymore. Does it have something to do that I enabled direct-to-disk?
Is it more CPU intensive to have motion detection running or should I write the whole stream to disc without motion detection?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you very much! I'll look into this computer.
What do you think of this one?
Dell OptiPlex 7040 MT
i7-6700 (6th Generation)
8GB
500GB (no SSD though, so will add SSD)
AMD R7 350 4GB (not really needed for this setup I guess...)
~$550

Whenever I enable hardware acceleration all cameras stay blank and I don't get a signal anymore. Does it have something to do that I enabled direct-to-disk?
Is it more CPU intensive to have motion detection running or should I write the whole stream to disc without motion detection?
You will want to remove the amd card (you will need to get a blank plate from dell).....they have some systems without the cards...They go for 525 generally, but I have been able to purchase an elitedesk i7-6700 tower for 400...but that is rare..note the elite desk has room for 2 3.5 drives and 1 2.5...I believe the dell tower holds one 2.5 and one 3.5...generally that is not an issue but for some it is...
motion detection adds negligible cpu use...you also want it so you can mark movement in the video...
If its going blank it may be driver related...dont use VPP if you were...

jrn

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you fenderman! :)

You will want to remove the amd card (you will need to get a blank plate from dell)
Would it be bad if left inside?

They go for 525 generally, but I have been able to purchase an elitedesk i7-6700 tower for 400...but that is rare
I can't seem to find any Elitedesk i7-6700 tower even near that range :D

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you fenderman! :)

Would it be bad if left inside?

I can't seem to find any Elitedesk i7-6700 tower even near that range :D
Yes, it will suck power, generate heat, add a point of failure and may prevent the system from using the intel hd graphics which is needed for hardware acceleration.
You have to check every day...they are usually not that cheap but easy to find in the 500 dollar range...Honestly you dont need an i7 in your case...an i5-6500 will be way more than sufficient...keep the 200 dollars for an upgrade in 5 years...

jrn

n3wb
Reaction score
You have to check every day...they are usually not that cheap but easy to find in the 500 dollar range...Honestly you dont need an i7 in your case...an i5-6500 will be way more than sufficient...keep the 200 dollars for an upgrade in 5 years...
That's the best I can find: ebay - 4GB only?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
That's the best I can find: ebay - 4GB only?
that is priced too high..you will also want 8gb of memory...
You have to check every day...

jrn

n3wb
Reaction score
You have to check every day...
Thanks, I'll do that :)

Any idea why my other setup with an Intel i7 4770R (Gigabyte Brix) runs at 80%, even if just two out of eleven cameras are recording @1920x1080/20fps? Hardware acceleration enabled, direct-to-disk. :(
It records to an external HDD, could this be the issue?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks, I'll do that :)

Any idea why my other setup with an Intel i7 4770R (Gigabyte Brix) runs at 80%, even if just two out of eleven cameras are recording @1920x1080/20fps? Hardware acceleration enabled, direct-to-disk. :(
It records to an external HDD, could this be the issue?
that is not normal...are you running the demo on that system? or a licensed version? Also are you remoting in to the system or are you viewing it on a monitor attached to the pc?

jrn

n3wb
Reaction score

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Don't use the micro..you want room for a local drive... they also use weaker processors even the sff requires squeezing in an ssd..the HP allows room natively for both

jrn

n3wb
Reaction score
Don't use the micro..you want room for a local drive... they also use weaker processors even the sff requires squeezing in an ssd..the HP allows room natively for both
That's a good point!
So I should either get the HP you recommended in your first reply or wait for something like this to come down in price a bit?

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, you computer is running a very low power i3-U laptop processor...its only scores a 2400 on passmark...by comparison a modern i5-6500 skylake system scores 7000....however, your processor does support quicksync...so hardware acceleration should work, try that first. Search the forum for optiplex and elitedesk...an i5-6500 based system can be had for around 300.
Here is an example, ask the seller to check the warranty status or provide you with the serial number..you can check it yourself on hp's website..
HP Elitedesk 800 G2 Business PC Intel i5-6500 3.2Ghz 8GB 500GB Win 8.1 - P4K16UT | eBay
Make a 300 dollar offer, you will likely get it. Note it indicates windows 8.1 but check with the seller, that cannot be accurate...

What should it come with? Win10? Thanks.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't really care that much... is there a major disadvantage of choosing Win8?
There is no way that pc came with windows 8 unless the seller put it on there....it was on the market way after windows 8 was shelved..you can still upgrade using the link i provided...then do a clean install after the in place upgrade is activated..its easy to check with the seller...windows 10 is superior to 8..

Andyman

n3wb
Reaction score
I use a NUC i5 with 5 cameras, but not sure it would support 10 cameras. It would not surprise me if it could be made to work with 10, particularly as frame rate is adjustable and there are many adjustments and optimizations like direct to disc. I7 would definitely work.

NUCs are good choices as they are made for 24/7 use and use relatively low power. You want to just set this up and forget about it. There are some challenges like DNS issues.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I use a NUC i5 with 5 cameras, but not sure it would support 10 cameras. It would not surprise me if it could be made to work with 10, particularly as frame rate is adjustable and there are many adjustments and optimizations like direct to disc. I7 would definitely work.

NUCs are good choices as they are made for 24/7 use and use relatively low power. You want to just set this up and forget about it. There are some challenges like DNS issues.
Nuc's are poor choices for several reasons...
1) they are much more costly than standard desktops. I can get a skylake i5-6500 hp elitedesk with 3 year (next business day) warranty for about 300...with windows 10 pro.
2) They cant hold a 3.5 hd for local storage.
3) they are easier to remove from the premises.
They dont use much less power than a standard system....

jrn

n3wb
Reaction score
Nuc's are poor choices for several reasons...
[...]
2) They cant hold a 3.5 hd for local storage.[...]
Agreed, while I did like the size specs of my i3 NUC, I am now excited to get a more cost effective i7 (no next business day delivery for me though ;))

Do you guys know how it works with the Win 10 licenses when purchasing on ebay? If I need to reinstall the OS on a SSD - do I usually get CD, or just a license key? What is your experience?