Computer vs NVR

Reaction score
I saw few threads on this, but I don't have an NVR, but I do have a computer, and I was wondering why not just add an extra Hard drive dedicated to the video recordings. I have 14 Hik Vision cameras setup currently running of POE switches. It is my first few weeks of usage, and these cameras are beautiful.

It just seems so much cheaper to add a HDD to my computer. It is on all the time anyway.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
So what stops you to try this out without even buying a hard drive? You can just get trial version of BI or use free IVMS4200 to see if your PC can manage recording from all 14 cams. In general though you will need dedicated machine with beefy CPU

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
I am trying it, and it seems to be working fine. Just was curious if there would be an advantage to a dedicated nvr. Doesnt seem to be i suppose after searching other than your computer doesnt need to be on.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I am trying it, and it seems to be working fine. Just was curious if there would be an advantage to a dedicated nvr. Doesnt seem to be i suppose after searching other than your computer doesnt need to be on.
You should not be using a daily use PC to run a security VMS..you should be using a dedicated PC...a modern i5-4590 haswell based desktop can be had for 300.

Reaction score
I see, and is that a better option than an nvr then? Or nas even with the _everyday pc_ as the client?

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Opinions differ on this. PC with recording software is far more superior and at the same time more hassle to maintain and configure then NVR.

jasauders

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Everybody is different, but here's my take...

Under zero circumstances would I favor running an NVR as my main PC. I do a lot on my PC. Most of the time, it's nearly idle. But I may spin up a process that rocks my processor. Even the *chance* of that taking away from its capabilities to handle NVR related tasks flawlessly isn't something I'd entertain.

As far as PC NVR vs a typical NVR, I favor PC NVRs. I like the software I use a lot, as the server is Linux based yet it has a cross platform client. Allows me to toss on a free Linux distro, spin it up, and with minimal effort/cost I have it running. Likewise, being a tech guy, if something goes blows in it I can easily swap parts. I also like being able to add switches to my network to further branch out with additional cameras, as opposed to being limited by the ports on the NVR.

Both solutions work. Everybody has their preference.

Reaction score
Interesting, So an NVR limits the amount of cameras because of the ports. Thanks for the tip. I was under the impression I could run a switch from an NVR. yeah that is a definite deal killer for sure with the NVR. Plus I believe i could throw an extra computer together fairly easily with a bunch of parts I got layin around. My ONLY gripe about a PC vs NVR right now is the Power Consumption. I do have my home automation running off a little 100 watt computer, but I am not sure that would handle NVR tasks. Oh well.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Interesting, So an NVR limits the amount of cameras because of the ports. Thanks for the tip. I was under the impression I could run a switch from an NVR. yeah that is a definite deal killer for sure with the NVR. Plus I believe i could throw an extra computer together fairly easily with a bunch of parts I got layin around. My ONLY gripe about a PC vs NVR right now is the Power Consumption. I do have my home automation running off a little 100 watt computer, but I am not sure that would handle NVR tasks. Oh well.
Its not limited by the ports...its limited by the manufacturer and firmware. You can use a switch with any nvr, but you are still limited by the number the manucturer...if your pc is using 100w, then its really outdated...a modern i5-4590 will pull 50 watts under about 50% load...

Reaction score
Ok, I was under the assumption that CPU pulled almost 80 watts alone. No worries, Either way, I love the flexibility of being able to run a computer. Thanks Guys!

Reaction score
ok one more question. Could I run the client on my computer now ( I am running iVMS-4200) I have the storage server (iVMS-4200 Storage Server) on my computer as well, Could I then just setup the storage server to store recordings on a NAS?

horseflesh

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I chose an NVR because it is "fire and forget." I did not want to babysit another Windows PC. I'm losing out on capabilities compared to using BI, but it's still worth it to me. It's just personal preference.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I chose an NVR because it is "fire and forget." I did not want to babysit another Windows PC. I'm losing out on capabilities compared to using BI, but it's still worth it to me. It's just personal preference.
There is nothing to babysit on the pc...not anymore than an nvr...

horseflesh

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
There is nothing to babysit on the pc...not anymore than an nvr...
Sure there is. Windows Updates, occasional reboots, antivirus, you need to make a backup of your boot drive... It's not a ton of work, but it is absolutely more than the NVR. And I have 3 other computers already--I love them, but I don't want another one.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
That is a wise choice which frowned upon here :) I will never dedicate Windows PCs for anything other then internet browsing and using dev tools

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
That is a wise choice which frowned upon here :) I will never dedicate Windows PCs for anything other then internet browsing and using dev tools
I would never use a standalone NVR unless all i needed was 24/7 recording and never have to remotely check in on video or get alerts....The hikvision NVR and mobile app is a complete joke.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
I would never use a standalone NVR unless all i needed was 24/7 recording and never have to remotely check in on video or get alerts....The hikvision NVR and mobile app is a complete joke.
Hmm, I wonder how I survived with Hikvision NVR. I get motion alerts to my email just fine, no it's not as advanced as BI options, but I am ok with it. Also, I don't use Hikvision mobile app, I use Tiny cam Pro which is great. Finally, I can also remotely login to Hikvision NVR web UI and review motion alert as well as full recording footage. Magic?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hmm, I wonder how I survived with Hikvision NVR. I get motion alerts to my email just fine, no it's not as advanced as BI options, but I am ok with it. Also, I don't use Hikvision mobile app, I use Tiny cam Pro which is great. Finally, I can also remotely login to Hikvision NVR web UI. Magic?
Yes, but how do you disable those alerts when you get home? How do you instantly review those alerts - full video not static images? Tiny cam cannot play back recorded video. The hikvision NVR web interface cannot display motion alerts if you are recording 24/7. The mobile app makes it extremely difficult to review video, first you need to enter the time frame, then you need to sit through 4x video (nothing faster) and its not possible to accurately manipulate the timeline because its way too small...The web interface also requires that you be at a pc you trust and can install the plugin. I would strongly discourage the use of an NVR for someone who wants to actively monitor the cams.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Yes, but how do you disable those alerts when you get home? How do you instantly review those alerts - full video not static images? Tiny cam cannot play back recorded video. The hikvision NVR web interface cannot display motion alerts if you are recording 24/7. The mobile app makes it extremely difficult to review video, first you need to enter the time frame, then you need to sit through 4x video (nothing faster) and its not possible to accurately manipulate the timeline because its way too small...The web interface also requires that you be at a pc you trust and can install the plugin. I would strongly discourage the use of an NVR for someone who wants to actively monitor the cams.
Frankly, no I don't spend time reviewing footage, there is too much of it to review, I just rely on my main motion alert to tell me someone is approaching the house which I get immediately and if needed I can review that timeframe on all the cams.

horseflesh

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I would strongly discourage the use of an NVR for someone who wants to actively monitor the cams.
No one is arguing that they are identical, and your needs appear to be different than mine. Like I said upthread "I'm losing out on capabilities compared to using BI, but it's still worth it to me."