Computer vs NVR

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
No one is arguing that they are identical, and your needs appear to be different than mine. Like I said upthread "I'm losing out on capabilities compared to using BI, but it's still worth it to me."
Like I said, anyone who wants to actively monitor their cams. Something as basic as instant video review or disabling indoor cameras and alerts when you get home is not available on the hikvision NVR.

jasauders

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I chose an NVR because it is "fire and forget." I did not want to babysit another Windows PC. I'm losing out on capabilities compared to using BI, but it's still worth it to me. It's just personal preference.
I can't lie, but I agree with you there. The 'babysitting' aspect of a Windows system is one to consider. Given Blue Iris requires Windows, it's the reason I haven't investigated it further. Bluecherry, an entirely different NVR software (with their server portion being Linux based), certainly got my attention though. If I hadn't caught wind of Bluecherry I would have likely gone the NVR route as well.

I work in IT. I can handle updates, backups, system image captures, etc etc in my sleep. But like I said... I work in IT. Some days when I come home, another system is the last thing I want to futz with.

Just my 2c. Different strokes.

horseflesh

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for mentioning Bluecherry, I hadn't heard of that. I do have a FreeBSD server already running, so I should play with it.

So far I am satisfied with my NVR though, despite its more limited capabilities. If my requirements change, I can always change course.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I can't lie, but I agree with you there. The 'babysitting' aspect of a Windows system is one to consider. Given Blue Iris requires Windows, it's the reason I haven't investigated it further. Bluecherry, an entirely different NVR software (with their server portion being Linux based), certainly got my attention though. If I hadn't caught wind of Bluecherry I would have likely gone the NVR route as well.

I work in IT. I can handle updates, backups, system image captures, etc etc in my sleep. But like I said... I work in IT. Some days when I come home, another system is the last thing I want to futz with.

Just my 2c. Different strokes.
I have over 20 blue iris machines..no "babysitting" required. Runs perfectly. Maybe im doing something wrong. The idea that windows requires more baby sitting than an NVR or linux is ridiculous...

jasauders

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for mentioning Bluecherry, I hadn't heard of that. I do have a FreeBSD server already running, so I should play with it.

So far I am satisfied with my NVR though, despite its more limited capabilities. If my requirements change, I can always change course.
There's not a FreeBSD port at the moment, though there's been some noise about the developers creating one. As of now it stands as a Linux program for the server with a cross platform client for Windows/Mac/Linux. I'm sure it lacks some Milestone-esque features, but for what it does do, it does well. Motion detection is good, the control panel within the client is great, it exports as MKV which takes out the nonsensical proprietary formats that a lot of others still (astonishingly) use, etc. It lacks a dedicated mobile app, but I interfaced it with TinyCam Pro, which works great for live view. The developers have been awesome; spoke to them a few times already. It's also shockingly light. I have my 4 cams in full time record at the moment, but my system load is 0.01. I was running motion detect at one point, but even still, it surprised me at how low it ran on this 2nd gen low powered i3. And here I was expecting I'd have to get a mammoth i7...

There's a 30 day free trial that they encourage folks to spin up and see what you think.

I have over 20 blue iris machines..no "babysitting" required. Runs perfectly. Maybe im doing something wrong.
Hey, to each their own, brother. All I'm saying is, having seen what sort of random issues that can come up with Windows, it's not a platform I would rely on for video surveillance. If it works great for you, more power to ya. :)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
There's not a FreeBSD port at the moment, though there's been some noise about the developers creating one. As of now it stands as a Linux program for the server with a cross platform client for Windows/Mac/Linux. I'm sure it lacks some Milestone-esque features, but for what it does do, it does well. Motion detection is good, the control panel within the client is great, it exports as MKV which takes out the nonsensical proprietary formats that a lot of others still (astonishingly) use, etc. It lacks a dedicated mobile app, but I interfaced it with TinyCam Pro, which works great for live view. The developers have been awesome; spoke to them a few times already. It's also shockingly light. I have my 4 cams in full time record at the moment, but my system load is 0.01. I was running motion detect at one point, but even still, it surprised me at how low it ran on this 2nd gen low powered i3. And here I was expecting I'd have to get a mammoth i7...

There's a 30 day free trial that they encourage folks to spin up and see what you think.

Hey, to each their own, brother. All I'm saying is, having seen what sort of random issues that can come up with Windows, it's not a platform I would rely on for video surveillance. If it works great for you, more power to ya. :)
Its has proven extremely reliable. I run many more windows machines for business use. Work perfectly. Trick is not installing crap ware on your VMS.

jasauders

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Its has proven extremely reliable. I run many more windows machines for business use. Work perfectly. Trick is not installing crap ware on your VMS.
That's not so much of a trick as it is common logic. I wouldn't consider putting anything else on it in the event I'd be running it. That doesn't replace MS's lacking update system (as one example) which sometimes comes with its own little surprises.

But hey, clearly you have your preference. I have mine. Use what works.

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
That's not so much of a trick as it is common logic. I wouldn't consider putting anything else on it in the event I'd be running it. That doesn't replace their lacking update system (as one example) which sometimes comes with its own little surprises.

But hey, clearly you have your preference. I have mine. Use what works.
You say common logic, many dont recognize it. You dont need to constantly update windows if you are using a VPN which you should be. Update issues are rare...
I dont have a preference just pointing out that the myth that windows is somehow unstable or less stable than linux is just that, a myth.

jasauders

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You say common logic, many dont recognize it. You dont need to constantly update windows if you are using a VPN which you should be. Update issues are rare...
I dont have a preference just pointing out that the myth that windows is somehow unstable or less stable than linux is just that, a myth.
All software has issues, all operating systems have their quirks, and certainly nothing is "perfect" as to what was alluded to above. I run what I run based on my own experiences, nothing more. Like I said, use what works. ;)

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Installed trial version of BI thinking maybe they improved that interface that I saw couple years back... nope still there. My impression it's confusing, overwhelming and completely unattractive in the age streamlined interface designs. Hopefully they will improve this in the future.

Interesting though, it seems this application was originally designed with Foscams. I ran search for cams and it's looking for really old Foscam models in the log.

Foscam FI86xx/98xx compatible?
Foscam FI89xx compatible?
Foscam FI9821 V2 compatible?
Foscam FI9821 media port compatible?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Installed trial version of BI thinking maybe they improved that interface that I saw couple years back... nope still there. My impression it's confusing, overwhelming and completely unattractive in the age streamlined interface designs. Hopefully they will improve this in the future.

Interesting though, it seems this application was originally designed with Foscams. I ran search for cams and it's looking for really old Foscam models in the log.

Foscam FI86xx/98xx compatible?
Foscam FI89xx compatible?
Foscam FI9821 V2 compatible?
Foscam FI9821 media port compatible?
The interface is just fine. you dont have to look at it on a daily basis...its no worse than a hikvision NVR. The hikvision interface is slow and clunky.
Its not confusing at all, there are just many options because its extremely flexible and not limited like an NVR. There is a help file that explains everything. I hope he doesnt waste time on improving the interface but rather adds more function.
As far as foscam, foscam as been rebranding and selling BI for many years..so its no surprise that it searches for those cams.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
The interface is just fine. you dont have to look at it on a daily basis...its no worse than a hikvision NVR. The hikvision interface is slow and clunky.
Its not confusing at all, there are just many options because its extremely flexible and not limited like an NVR. There is a help file that explains everything. I hope he doesnt waste time on improving the interface but rather adds more function.
As far as foscam, foscam as been rebranding and selling BI for many years..so its no surprise that it searches for those cams.
Just to clarify I was referring to web interface. I am not sure if you seen the latest Hikvision NVR interface, but it's much nicer then what I've seen in BI.

jasauders

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just to clarify I was referring to web interface. I am not sure if you seen the latest Hikvision NVR interface, but it's much nicer then what I've seen in BI.
Is this in any way comparable/similar to the Hikvision web UI of cameras? I haven't used Hikvision for long, only had my 2432 cube's for a few weeks, but I really like the web UI of those cameras. A quick Google image search brought a few results that made me wonder if the NVR interface is anything like that of individual Hikvision camera's web interface. If so, thumbs up.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Is this in any way comparable/similar to the Hikvision web UI of cameras? I haven't used Hikvision for long, only had my 2432 cube's for a few weeks, but I really like the web UI of those cameras. A quick Google image search brought a few results that made me wonder if the NVR interface is anything like that of individual Hikvision camera's web interface. If so, thumbs up.
The web UI is very nice and clean, I don't use NVR interface via HDMI at all, only for initial setup

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The web UI is very nice and clean, I don't use NVR interface via HDMI at all, only for initial setup

Its slow, clunky and limited. When you have many less options its easier to clean up the look. I dont feel blue iris is cluttered. Its just fine. IF you dont like the blue iris interface you dont need to look at the after initial setup...

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Slow? The E series may have been slower to start streams for 4MP cams I noticed, but I2 has better performance. I am a power user and if I find something "slow" I will get rid of immediately. This isn't slow as you make it seem.
Clunky? If this is clunky, then what would you call a BI web interface? A piece of art?
Limited? No, it doesn't come with a kitchen sink and doesn't make a me a dinner, but I am perfectly fine with what it provides.

I get it, once you go BI, it's difficult to go back to something that provide limited function, but then you have to understand not everyone needs those features or will use them and would rather appreciate the simplicity and efficiency of the NVR.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Slow? The E series may have been slower to start streams for 4MP cams I noticed, but I2 has better performance. I am a power user and if I find something "slow" I will get rid of immediately. This isn't slow as you make it seem.
Clunky? If this is clunky, then what would you call a BI web interface? A piece of art?
Limited? No, it doesn't come with a kitchen sink and doesn't make a me a dinner, but I am perfectly fine with what it provides.

I get it, once you go BI, it's difficult to go back to something that provide limited function, but then you have to understand not everyone needs those features or will use them and would rather appreciate the simplicity and efficiency of the NVR.
A hikvision NVR is extremely neutered. If I cant fire up a mobile app and review video in less than 3-5 seconds, skip through video quickly the NVR is worthless to me. If i cannot instantly disable alerts/recording from specific cameras then the alert function becomes useless. Most folks want that basic functionality. If all you want is basic 24/7 recording then an NVR is sufficient.BIUI.JPG

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
BIUI2.JPGThe ptz and timeline bars can be removed to produce an "cleaner" look...

SandmanXX

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Fenderman,
I'm interested in how your hardware is set up. What would be needed, for example to run 6 to 8 outdoor cams and blue iris as the software, instead of going the nvr route.
Mind charting out some basics on what parts are needed? Maybe a little more cams for dummies-type post?
And one of my main questions, aside from how to connect those cams ultimately to the PC used for vid recording/storage, is there an ability to be able to view that on a TV in a separate room, a TV already connected to the home wifi network via AP and Cat5 ?
Thanks for your input!