Concerned about a new AMD ryzen pc I just bought today! Will BI work??

Pentagano

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I've just ordered a new PC, Ryzen 5 3400g on an A320 motherboard. 16Gb ram.

Been warned on FB that BI will not work on a 3400g!

Now I am rather stressed. Do I need to quickly cancel the order and change for an intel? I'd rather not.

What do I need to be aware of running BI on ryzen amd?

Just FYI - I use BI for triggering snapshots only - not recording.

Reading through some threads now:

If I understand correctly so far the only limitation is the hardware acceleration so should be ok?

Thanks

Last edited:

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
What are the cameras? If they support sub streams than you will be fine.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes the only limitation is hardware acceleration. However if you paid anywhere near 260 which is the going rate for the amd you should instead look at buying a business class intel i5-8500 system for about 300-350 total including windows pro os.

Pentagano

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What are the cameras? If they support sub streams than you will be fine.
I have Ezviz C3WN cameras which have an option for substream in the studio app settings.
What adjustments do I need to make to my camera configurations in Bi?

Would I need to add a Nvidia graphics card?

Thanks

Pentagano

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yes the only limitation is hardware acceleration. However if you paid anywhere near 260 which is the going rate for the amd you should instead look at buying a business class intel i5-8500 system for about 300-350 total including windows pro os.
I'm in Uruguay so you can take any US prices and multiple them by 2-3 times.

A320
16Gb ram
Ryzen 5 3400g
ssd 240
cabinet, atx power source/ fans etc
615 USD

Also wanted an ATX board for future upgrades so I'm not tied to a non-atx dell or hp for example.

Pentagano

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So this is where the hardcoding is configured? I see a Nvidia option which I don't have yet but the a320 has the expansion slot for one.

Or just use the substreams? As mentioned I only use BI for jpeg snapshots, no recording. I have direct to disk option also.

1622082114954.png

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Use sub streams if you can get them to work with those cameras. Right now graphics card prices are totally crazy so if you can make it work with sub streams no need for the NVidia card, power consumption and heat generation.

Pentagano

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
These appear to be the different settings between sub and main.
Not sure if I follow - what difference will the substream make for snapshots? Just the lower quality for faster processing?

I use the rtsp feeds also for the cameras if that helps.

Thanks!
(have you seen the prices for the ryzen 7 and 9's? Crazy also)

1622082920807.png

1622082953638.png

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
For best performance the frame and iframe rates should be a ratio of one, typically 15 FPS with an iframe rate of 15 for both the main and sub streams. When you configure the cameras, enter the IP address and login information, then click the box "find/inspect". This is under the video tab of the camera. It will auto populate the main stream and you can select the sub stream in the "substream" box. It's really simple to do and, with the lower resolution of the sub stream, takes a lot of work off the CPU. I'm running most of my cameras at D1 resolution for the sub streams.

Pentagano

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
For best performance the frame and iframe rates should be a ratio of one, typically 15 FPS with an iframe rate of 15 for both the main and sub streams. When you configure the cameras, enter the IP address and login information, then click the box "find/inspect". This is under the video tab of the camera. It will auto populate the main stream and you can select the sub stream in the "substream" box. It's really simple to do and, with the lower resolution of the sub stream, takes a lot of work off the CPU. I'm running most of my cameras at D1 resolution for the sub streams.
ah yes thanks I've done that- I did use them for a while but then saw that my current i7 was processing the mains very fast. It died on me though, getting fixed soon but can't really use that pc anymore for BI.

So basically we're just talking about reducing the overhead on the ryzen cpu, because it has no hardware acceleration built-in like the intel? Am I understanding correctly?
I've always had the fps down to a minimum of about 6fps anyway.

If I use the substreams I'll need to reconfigure all of the masks and detection zones correct? The resolution will drop so will mess these up.

I have another dedicated nvr unit that does all the recording

Last edited:

Pentagano

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Morning,

If I add the substream here I see both streams in the general tab with the same quality.
The main profile is greyed out below and can't seem to deselect it. Am I going wrong somewhere?

1622114799272.png

1622114841677.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Did you hit the find/inspect the configure option under the Video tab?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Most of the time BI does a good job finding the right ones.

What does the pull-down options show - does it show a substream there? If not, then change the 1 after channel and = to a 2 and see if that pulls the substream.

1622118466502.png

Pentagano

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
drop-down shows none or default.

I'll try the 1/2 as you suggest.
Thanks!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Do a search here and see if anyone has that camera and figured out how to get the substream in.

There are some cameras that despite having a substream, BI cannot pull it for whatever reason. I have a few cameras that I cannot get the substream pulled in. I suspect it is a limitation with the camera more than it is an issue with BI.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The general rule for frame rate with substreams is that the main stream and the substream must have the same frame rate values. The Iframe value on the main stream and sub stream must be the same value.

It is recommended that the Iframe value be equal to the frame rate or twice the frame rate.

Pentagano

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Wow what a difference changing to substreams on an underpowered old Intel laptop (temporary)! Deepstack processes them very fast. Much less cpu too