Concerns with BI missing motion

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Today I had the post office deliver a package to my back door. The only recorded video alert I got from BI was him leaving my back door area and jogging back up the driveway. It completely missed him coming to the door. My other software, Sighthound, captured both. What am I doing wrong with BI?

Here are my motion settings for that camera. Thanks!
Screen Shot 2015-12-14 at 7.58.27 PM.png

typo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
on the record tab, Pre Trigger Video Buffer Frames, increase this (experiment and test until you get what you want). I have mine set to 50 for a 15FPS camera and that's getting what I want.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
on the record tab, Pre Trigger Video Buffer Frames, increase this (experiment and test until you get what you want). I have mine set to 50 for a 15FPS camera and that's getting what I want.
Thanks typo... here's what my current record tab settings are.

Screen Shot 2015-12-14 at 8.26.15 PM.png

typo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I just started with BI, but just try doubling that value and then test and see what happens.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Your problem is object detection.
Disable it... Also lower min object size.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Your problem is object detection.
Disable it... Also lower min object size.
Thanks fenderman, do you have a suggestion for min object size? I'll deselect object detection as well.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks fenderman, do you have a suggestion for min object size? I'll deselect object detection as well.
It will vary by how close the camera is to the target and size of the target...

typo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
can't you go out there and walk around like the delivery guy to test? I did that, but I walked around with my laptop to see what was happening.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
can't you go out there and walk around like the delivery guy to test? I did that, but I walked around with my laptop to see what was happening.
Yes, I've done that before and thought I had things dialed in pretty good. The delivery guy was actually running so maybe that had something to do with it.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I turned off object detection and reduced the object size and this morning when the camera went from night vision to day, it generated an alert with no motion.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I turned off object detection and reduced the object size and this morning when the camera went from night vision to day, it generated an alert with no motion.
Yes, set up cloned cameras, one for alerts one for motion...if you make the threshold too high you will miss motion..

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Yes, set up cloned cameras, one for alerts one for motion...if you make the threshold too high you will miss motion..
Thanks fenderman, I'm still unclear on this. How would cloning the camera the way you describe fix the issue where an alert is sent when changing day/night modes?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks fenderman, I'm still unclear on this. How would cloning the camera the way you describe fix the issue where an alert is sent when changing day/night modes?
At that point you can set the threshold higher (higher make time) and not be afraid of missing events - you can apply masks, test object detection using various settings etc....pixel based motion detection is never going to be perfect but if you dial it in right you can get very close to it...
Set the recording camera to a low threshold.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
At that point you can set the threshold higher (higher make time) and not be afraid of missing events - you can apply masks, test object detection using various settings etc....pixel based motion detection is never going to be perfect but if you dial it in right you can get very close to it...
Set the recording camera to a low threshold.
Ah, I get it now. Thanks!

bennuss

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I also have the same issue. had a robbery and the person first appears when he is inside already then disappears. no recording of him entering the door which he must have and there is a camera trained on the door. I am using Hikvision cameras and they have the ability to prerecord ten seconds before the motion. Does BlueIris have that capability? I just want motion to record and continue to record until it ends . Also recordings seem to be missing 10 seconds constantly. Willing to pay if someone can login and see why i have missing times.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I also have the same issue. had a robbery and the person first appears when he is inside already then disappears. no recording of him entering the door which he must have and there is a camera trained on the door. I am using Hikvision cameras and they have the ability to prerecord ten seconds before the motion. Does BlueIris have that capability? I just want motion to record and continue to record until it ends . Also recordings seem to be missing 10 seconds constantly. Willing to pay if someone can login and see why i have missing times.
No need to pay.. You have your motion settings wrong.. Post screenshot of both your motion and record tab.....

bennuss

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
record.jpgrecord.jpgrecord.jpg

I believe object detection was on when the incident occurred . I turned it off based upon what you wrote above. Also it was changed to continuos to see if the files are being written but previously it was on when triggered.