Conduit from basement to attic

Heavyopp

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I’m in a single story ranch, want to run a conduit from my basement to my attic for camera wires.

I happen to have a piece of copper dwv pipe 1 1/2 - new. It’s a really thin wall pipe, I never see myself using it for drainage anywhere. Had this pipe for over 20 years.

Anyone see any issues running 10 or 12 cat 6 unshielded camera wires thru it? Any issues with the pipe being copper and conductive with the camera signals? At least one of the cameras will be PTZ.

I’ll figure out something for the ends and sharp edges.

Want to use the copper because it’s a smaller outside diameter than pvc, and I have it.

Thanks, Jer

kjinxx2

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
To answer your question - no there wouldn't be any issues or interference in a stand alone copper pipe that isn't part of the main home's grounding system

There may be other considerations that you haven't thought about (aside from your original question) regarding whether running low voltage line through copper conduit is up to code, whether a future builder could mistake your conduit as functional copper pipe, etc. But those are all really pedantic issues that you didn't ask about - if you're not planning on selling your home or don't particularly care about code then you'll have no issue

Heavyopp

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Never really thought about any codes - simply thinking of using what I have vs buying

an intruder noticing cameras and looking for the wires may think its a drain pipe vs conduit too

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
If someone is in your house and has the time to mess with your conduit you have already lost. More important than a camera system is a good loud alarm system. Then add the cameras for perimeter early warning, audio deterrence or video confirmation.

Heavyopp

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I do have a few 10’ pieces of 1” emt — I can’t imagine much more than 6 wires fitting in 1” pipe

Oldtechguy66

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Or if like me, you tend to keep everything that looks potentially useful for "some day", you're pretty sure you have that item, but cannot find it when needed most - so it's a trip off to the local supply house/store because you know where the items are there. But, soon as I buy the item, use it on a project or job, i find the original "well stored" item.. which is usually much older and of better quality than the new one just purchased. So, the old part goes back into storage, for another future possible use... or not. I'm sure that's only me and doesn't happen to anyone else... :rolleyes::rofl:

ludshed

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Or if like me, you tend to keep everything that looks potentially useful for "some day", you're pretty sure you have that item, but cannot find it when needed most - so it's a trip off to the local supply house/store because you know where the items are there. But, soon as I buy the item, use it on a project or job, i find the original "well stored" item.. which is usually much older and of better quality than the new one just purchased. So, the old part goes back into storage, for another future possible use... or not. I'm sure that's only me and doesn't happen to anyone else... :rolleyes::rofl:
Oh yes, with tools too. Once a month I have to tear truck completely apart and reorganize everything.

Oldtechguy66

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Oh yes, with tools too. Once a month I have to tear truck completely apart and reorganize everything.
Sounds way too familiar. If tools I need are not to be found in the tool boxes or in the shop, they may be in the service truck... which is another story in itself. A hardware store and tool storage bin on wheels... IF I could only find what I need at any given moment... :facepalm::lol:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yep. Never would have guessed 10 years ago I’d need one of these again! Then someone asked if I could reestablish comms with an old mircom gate.View attachment 186281
man !!

I just e-wasted a bunch of modems ..

US Robotics 56k was the best one in the bunch I tossed