Connect Camera Wires Directly to Cat 6 Wires

saudiboy

n3wb
Reaction score
This question was posed in a post years ago, but the answer was in a link and the link is dead.

The video wires coming out of my DS-2CD2155FWD are white, brown, blue, green, red, black, yellow and orange. Could someone tell me which wires should connect to the typical cat 6 wires (blue, blue/white, green, green/white, orange, orange/white, brown and brown/white)?

looktall

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You would be better off putting a new pigtail on the camera.
There's a thread here with some info.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
What I always do when the RJ45 jack on the camera is destroyed, is attach an RJ45 keystone jack where the camera's original jack used to be. These keystones are available at most home improvement or hardware stores in the electrical section.

The trick is figuring out which wires go to which pins on the adapter. If the camera's original RJ45 jack is intact you can figure this out with a multimeter's continuity test mode. Otherwise you're in for a difficult internet search to figure it out.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Could someone tell me which wires should connect to the typical cat 6 wires (blue, blue/white, green, green/white, orange, orange/white, brown and brown/white)?
This is a cross-reference from the T568B RJ45 pinouts to the Hikvision connectors.
Note - on the later (G1) cameras, Hikvision have swapped pins 4 and 5 (Grey and Purple).

T568B Hik cable
1 orange/white 1 orange
2 orange 2 yellow
3 green/white 3 green
4 blue 4 grey
5 blue/white 5 purple
6 green 6 blue
7 brown/white 7 brown
8 brown 8 white
11 12v outer
12 12v inner

saudiboy

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for all these responses. They are very helpful. I’d be inclined to go with a new pigtail, but I’m concerned about removing and reinstalling the wires in the tab connector.

I have done the RJ45 keystone Jack before and might try that again. A question though. RJ45 mail connectors are readily available, and I worked with those. But I can’t seem to find any RJ45 female connectors. Why is that?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
RJ45 female connectors tend to be designed either to surface mount on a PCB, or to be a keystone jack in a wall.

You can attach a male connector to the camera's pigtail, but then you need an RJ45 coupler which is a little adapter with two female sockets on it.