Considering Dahua

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
I tell myself;
"I can do anything! It might take longer. I might make mistakes, and then backtrack to fix them. And I might have to ask for advice (hard for me to do). But I will succeed!"

CJ555

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
haha Well it WILL take me longer,...I WILL make mistakes,...and I WILL ask for advice (obviously!:D),....and it will PROBABLY be "easy" for me to ask (obviosuly!),...
but I WILL succeed as well:headbang:
Got me all sorts of fired up,....I'm ready to go fish some cable!! But oh chit,...I never done that before either! haha but it's all good cause I'm definitely better with my hands than my brains. Plus I have an awesome neighbor who already offered his help.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
That's great to hear!
I'm ready to go fish some cable!!
Pull extra cable, in case the cam location changes after you use your "test rig" to finalize cam locations. The extra cable will allow location adjustments later.
Or use cable that lay in the grass to check test rig views.
Monoprice sells 100' terminated Cat cables, inexpesive, that are great for walking around with a tesst rig checking views. Then drill holes, and snake cable, then terminate. Some advise pulling two cables where you think you'll only need one. Why? Maybe an auxilary IR light, to avoid spider webs in front of cams with IR. Or maybe a PIR sensor, which is better than IVS and MD. Or a second cam, maybe long lens, to read license plates.

This hobby leads to that!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

CJ555

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Then drill holes, and snake cable, then terminate. Some advise pulling two cables where you think you'll only need one. Why? Maybe an auxilary IR light, to avoid spider webs in front of cams with IR. Or maybe a PIR sensor, which is better than IVS and MD. Or a second cam, maybe long lens, to read license plates.
yeah I will probably only need a few hundred feet with all my planned and even future planned cameras,...but believe me I plan on using up that 1000ft roll!

"Or maybe a PIR sensor, which is better than IVS and MD"
thanks,...now I have more questions to ask!! pretty sure IVS is Dahua's app correct? Heard good things about it suprised you like something else. anyway,....Haven't gotten there yet,...letting them dogs sleep for a while!

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Ooops.
I didn't intend for you to research something else!
"Or maybe a PIR sensor, which is better than IVS and MD"
Don't research that right now, let the dog sleep.
My point was "Pull two cables for every run. The 2nd cable may never be used. But that's better than pulling a 2nd cable later"

CJ555

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
10 4
And trust me that dog is sleeping!

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
There are pros and cons with the built-in POE switch. The main reason I went with a separate switch was to minimize the investment in the NVR if I want or need to replace it down the road. With Dahua, it's easier to access the cameras directly with the external switch (the only thing I think where Hikvision beats Dahua). The non-POE 5216's fan is pretty quiet. It uses a fanless external power brick. I've read posts saying the POE switch version is pretty loud. I would have preferred to get the 4-disk version of the nvr but wasn't willing to pay the price premium. I run headless, and feel the need to use the direct connect interface for something maybe once every 2 or 3 months. I'm using smartPss most of the time with occasional use of the nvr's web interface.

CJ555

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm actually on page 17 of 25 of the 5216 thread. There seems to be a lot of issues with frame pauses and reboots with all Dahua NVR's. Some have gotten better results with the latest software version (Think the thread is still around May 2017). Do you know if all those issues were fixed yet? I'm hoping the more I read the more people have solved their problems.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm actually on page 17 of 25 of the 5216 thread. There seems to be a lot of issues with frame pauses and reboots with all Dahua NVR's. Some have gotten better results with the latest software version (Think the thread is still around May 2017). Do you know if all those issues were fixed yet? I'm hoping the more I read the more people have solved their problems.
Yes.

CJ555

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
LOL yup I finally read through all 25 pages! Seems the firmware did the trick!
Looney,..in you honest opinion, is the 5416 worth the extra cost vs the 5216? Seems to me (from a brief comparison on BH Photo),..that the only difference is 320mbps incoming bandwith vs 200 on the 5216 AND the extra storage capacity (24 vs 12). Is the 5416 a better machine for the money?
Which would you get?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
LOL yup I finally read through all 25 pages! Seems the firmware did the trick!
Looney,..in you honest opinion, is the 5416 worth the extra cost vs the 5216? Seems to me (from a brief comparison on BH Photo),..that the only difference is 320mbps incoming bandwith vs 200 on the 5216 AND the extra storage capacity (24 vs 12). Is the 5416 a better machine for the money?
Which would you get?
Disclaimer, I don't use an NVR, I use BI.
My first pick would be Blue Iris.
It's not any harder to do basic setup, than an NVR.
There is a learning curve to both.
Any bugs in BI is fixed very quickly, typically.
NVR, not so much.

Both models have the same incoming bandwidth of 320mps.
The 5416 has many more alarm inputs and relay outs if you think you will use them.
The 5416 has double the storage capacity then the 5216.
The 5416 is approx twice the cost of the 5216.

I'd choose the 5216 non-POE version, not worth the cost of the 5416. That's my opinion.

NVR5416/5432/5464-4KS2 | Dahua Technology - Dahua Technology

NVR5208/5216/5232-4KS2 | Dahua Technology - Dahua Technology

Dahua 16/32CH 1U 16PoE 4K&H.265 Network Video Recorder NVR5216 16P 4KS2 NVR5232 16P 4KS2-in Surveillance Video Recorder from Security & Protection on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

CJ555

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Nice to know BI isn't much harder to setup than NVR's. I have considered it after reading a few posts but never researched it enough or read the IPCT sticky's on it. I do recall just recently either you or fenderman recommending a certain PC to use (possibly refurbished?),..do you happen to know of one you would recommend off the top of your head? I will start looking now but figured maybe I could skip a step as I will pretty much get whatever you recommend if it is in my budget. Seems like $50 for the software and a dedicated PC may not be "that much" more than a decent NVR.

Again I know I have some research to do,..but would BI also help with my Comcast router/modem issues I'll probably be dealing with since it is a combo unit and have been told setting up VPN will probably be tricky when I finally get to that step.
I even looked at NAS system but found out they cost more and more every time you add a camera (licensing fees I believe).
But if BI would eliminate me from having to purchase a separate router, etc,...that would make it more cost effective as well. Just trying to weigh out my options.

Thank you sir.

Philip Gonzales

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@CJ555 Dell Optiplex or HP Elitedesk is usually what is recommended. Here is an example of one that would work.

Dell OptiPlex 7040 MT i7-6700 3.4GHz* 8GB DDR4 RAM* 1TB HDD* DVD+RW* WIN 10 PRO. | eBay

This one has an i7-6700 so it would probably be able to run somewhere around 20+ 2mp cameras on it. That is just a total guess but I have read people running 20+ cameras on similar desktops.

You would still need to buy a large 3.5 inch drive to store your footage on (preferably a WD purple). I recommend at least a 4TB. If not a 6TB.

https://www.amazon.com/Purple-Surveillance-Hard-Disk-Drive/dp/B00IMPO5OW

https://www.amazon.com/Purple-Surveillance-Hard-Disk-Drive/dp/B00P0NV43E

And also it's recommended to buy a 2.5 inch SSD drive for the OS and BI database. Doesn't need to be very big since you shouldn't really be storing much on the SSD itself.

https://www.amazon.com/Crucial-BX300-120GB-Internal-Solid/dp/B073W3Q96S/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1511900932&sr=1-4&keywords=crucial+ssd+drive

Do you know the total number of cameras you are going to install? You will probably be fine with an i5 processor and you can save some money there but honestly I would just get the i7 as adding cameras can become addicting.

This is probably not the best advice in the world but honestly I would just run blue iris and port forward ONLY the blue iris port. If you don't port forward any of the cameras themselves you should be fine. I have VPN setup at home but honestly I do port forward the blue iris port. Just make sure you use a strong password, you will be fine. Where people get in trouble is when they port forward the cams themselves.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

CJ555

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks Philip. I have heard of port forwarding but honestly don't "fully" understand it yet even though I did google it. My problem with VPN is I may not be able to set it up with my Comcast modem/router/combo. But from what I can put together in my head,...the BI really wont help with that since it still connects to my router/modem. SO either way I may need to get a new "Comcast compatible" router and disable the router from my combo modem if I want VPN. (I THINK thats how it was explained but I haven't gotten to that step yet!) Every time I am about to place an order something new comes up!!! But this BI does seem like a good idea possibly with all the better features,....and it seems to be less headaches AFTER I would finally figure it out. Nothing is definite yet but my BI research starts soon!!! :eek:

Either way I would assume I am going to be between 10-12 cameras by the time I get into my back yard (14 tops -maybe?!)

Philip Gonzales

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
With that number of cameras I would think you would want to get an i7. An i5 would probably work but I wouldn't chance it myself. @fenderman or someone else can verify what they recommend as they would have a better idea of how many cams an i5 vs an i7 can run.

Yes, and that also sound right about the VPN. If you want to use VPN then you may need to purchase another router that supports VPN. Port forwarding allows you to reach a service/program from the internet. Let's say you use port 1234 for blue iris and it had an internal IP address of 192.168.1.10. You would access the webpage of blue iris on your home network by going to Http:\\192.168.1.10:1234. You would access blue iris via the mobile app on your home network at 192.168.1.10:1234 as well. This will not work from the internet as 192.168.1.10 is a private IP address, it is basically only allowed for home use and cannot be used on the internet. In order to access blue iris over the internet you can setup VPN, which will basically put you on your home network from the internet. It creates a private tunnel to your home network and you can still connect using 192.168.1.10:1234 since you will be on your private network still (over the internet using VPN). If you did not want to use VPN you can forward the port 1234 in your router. Let's say your public IP address was 55.55.55.55. You could then access Blue Iris at http://55.55.55.55:1234 via your browser or 55.55.55.55:1234 in the blue iris app. Anyone would then be able to access your blue iris login page, but as long as you have a strong password you should be fine.

Hopefully that helped clear it up a little, sorry if I made it more confusing lol.

CJ555

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Aint gonna lie 90% of that was like reading Japanese! but I kinda get the "point"
But it does seem port forwarding still leaves a backdoor.
But either way if I did what was recommended yesterday and kept my whole system offline (Til I get the hang of it),... not only would I NOT be able to use my phone for remote viewing,...but now I realize I would need a monitor as well. Looking like I will either need to purchase a separate router AND/or a separate monitor.:banghead: But then again if I used BI I assume I would need a monitor for the PC anyway?

Something is starting to tell me I will a need a monitor NO MATTER WHAT,....but my original plan was to just have all settings/adjustments/updates done through my phone.
Was I silly to even think that it could be done that way?? Or is it at least possible? Can't believe I didn't even realize this until now (I am sure I could get a cheap monitor but it was never in the game plan)

Philip Gonzales

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Aint gonna lie 90% of that was like reading Japanese! but I kinda get the "point"
But it does seem port forwarding still leaves a backdoor.
But either way if I did what was recommended yesterday and kept my whole system offline (Til I get the hang of it),... not only would I NOT be able to use my phone for remote viewing,...but now I realize I would need a monitor as well. Looking like I will either need to purchase a separate router AND/or a separate monitor.:banghead: But then again if I used BI I assume I would need a monitor for the PC anyway?

Something is starting to tell me I will a need a monitor NO MATTER WHAT,....but my original plan was to just have all settings/adjustments/updates done through my phone.
Was I silly to even think that it could be done that way?? Or is it at least possible? Can't believe I didn't even realize this until now (I am sure I could get a cheap monitor but it was never in the game plan)
Yep port forwarding is more like opening the front door haha. VPN is going to be the safest way for sure.

I'm not sure if you could setup a NVR without a monitor as I have never set one up, but I would think you would initially want to connect one to setup a static IP address or verify which DHCP address it was getting, etc.

You could always try using a TV as a monitor. Most newer computers/TV's have an HDMI port or you could try to find an adapter for whatever ports you do have. This is what I do for inital setups of my servers so that I don't have to buy a separate montior. Still a PITA though lol.