Considering Dahua

Probird79

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
But obviously it can get hacked whenever I suppose too so,....??!!
It can be hacked immediately since it would be exposed to the world. Setting up VPN on an Asus router is extremely easy and is no harder than port forwarding. Get a RT-AC68U or RT-AC66U B1 as they aren't too expensive. If you are charged a rental fee for your modem/router I would return it in a heartbeat and purchase my own. I did the same and it paid for itself in 6-7 months.

To dumb down what you are looking at this is what I would do:
Modem (whatever is compatible with your ISP provider)->Router (RT-AC68U or RT-AC66U B1)->POE switch (gigabit & fanless with however many ports you need)->NVR (NVR5216-4KS2)->IP cams (what you've been looking at)

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
CJ555,

I feel safer having it as remote view when I'm not home as opposed to no VPN. At least for a "short" while until I get the VPN thing conquered.
Let's ignore the security aspect for a moment, and discuss the scenario you suggest:
Get system set up, then get the remote viewing app setup on your phone.
Then learn about port forwarding, and implement that on your current router.
Later, learn how to disable port forwarding.
Then learn about VPN, and implement that on a new router.
It sounds like two lessons in "japanese" - an analogy you used earlier for these forays into tech-land.

I suggest skip the port forwarding, and learning how to configure a router that will be going away soon. Seems more straightforward to go straight to a router with vpn so you get true remote viewing.
"Wait, There's More!"
~~ VPN means more security!
~~ Using an Asus router means you can get out of paying xfinity rental fees!
~~ More Savings! More Security!
"Operators are standing by! Take advantage of this wonderful opportunity!"

CJ555

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I suggest skip the port forwarding, and learning how to configure a router that will be going away soon. Seems more straightforward to go straight to a router with vpn so you get true remote viewing.
I totally agree. I was just saying (possibly) before I even get a new VPN supported router, I would still like to remote view from my phone - at home AND away from home.
I do understand that's not the best idea without setting up VPN, but I was thinking I would be "OK" for a week or 2 until I get a new router that is Comcast compatible.
Of course I should dive right in and deal with that now,....but I finally figured out what cameras I am going to buy,...and now I'm researching HDD's, switches, and monitors!
(and not having much luck!!! -- I have SOOO many bookmarks,... but unfortunately I didn't bookmark the posts about switches and monitors like I would of sworn I did! :banghead:)

"Wait, There's More!"
~~ VPN means more security!
~~ Using an Asus router means you can get out of paying xfinity rental fees!
~~ More Savings! More Security!
"Operators are standing by! Take advantage of this wonderful opportunity!"
Now that was funny!!! :D

CJ555

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hacking doesn't take long. There are millions of devices scanning the network 24/7 looking for vulnerable people to play with. Wanna see a scary list? This is from the last 7 days. Each one of these is a separate device that has tried to hack me. Look at the total at the bottom. Then look at the timestamps. They are coming in several a second.

Plug any one of those into a web browser (due this with caution, actually don't do it at all), but you'll find nearly most of them are Camera Systems. Why are they trying to hack me? Cause they got hacked and reprogrammed by somebody to do so.
Well OK then,....guess I will DEFINITELY need to set this VPN up ASAP! Damn thats scary

CJ555

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am actually in the process of emailing and sending an order into Andy right now for a Paypal invoice.
I will go back and read the VPN suggestions given to me earlier and read up on the VPN sticky thread. Just a little on edge since I know my Comcast router is going to make it a little more difficult than usual.

CJ555

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thank you sir, I definitely will. What software (?) is that that gives you that info? (Probably NOT something I should be asking or looking into right now!!!,...but I had to ask!)

CJ555

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
OK here is where I am at,....

Already ordered:

1000ft solid cat6 from Monoprice
RJ45 WITh Inserts from Monoprice

Klein VDV226-107 RJ45 crimp tool
Proxicast Pro grade weaherprood self bonding tape 30mil.

Ordering from Andy:

NVR5216 w/out ports
(2) 5231ZR
(1) 5231ZE
(1) 5231 ZE5
(1) 5231 ZE12
------------------- want to try out different zooms for myself! Feel free to give opinions on that theory!
Dahua junction boxes for all above (may not need for all but Ill at least get a few)

(1) hdbw4231 -- figured I'd try this near my front door,...if turrets work better I have 2 other places I can install it

Home Depot --
mounting block for siding -in case I may need
siding removal tool --JUST in case some cable needs to be routed that way

Now for the hard part,....and I swear I have done my own research but now that I want to find it again,...my brain is fried and I quit!!!
so,...PLEASE make my life easier and tell me what PoE switch to get. I read through the PoE suggestion thread but I have no idea which one is better/best?!!
Same with Purple 6TB HDD's some say PURX some say PurZ,...I THINK Z just means newer,...but should I go with Purple Purz or even something else?

And I know choosing a monitor is easy breezy as long as its 1080p or greater,... can be TV or PC monitor,....but my research brings me in the 70-100 dollar range (TV anyway) Is that average or is there a "known" monitor that most people like for quality AND price?

I'll do my own research on Comcast compatible routers and I know some were recommended so Ill go back and look, so I wont ask that again,....yet!
But is there anything else I am missing? (fish tape and fish rods are already on the list!)

Probird79

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Now for the hard part,....and I swear I have done my own research but now that I want to find it again,...my brain is fried and I quit!!!
so,...PLEASE make my life easier and tell me what PoE switch to get. I read through the PoE suggestion thread but I have no idea which one is better/best?!!
Same with Purple 6TB HDD's some say PURX some say PurZ,...I THINK Z just means newer,...but should I go with Purple Purz or even something else?

And I know choosing a monitor is easy breezy as long as its 1080p or greater,... can be TV or PC monitor,....but my research brings me in the 70-100 dollar range (TV anyway) Is that average or is there a "known" monitor that most people like for quality AND price?
Here's a really good switch; it's managed, fanless, gigabit, POE+, & 8 port: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GU1KULM/ref=psdc_281414_t1_B01LX9925Z. It is used by others on here. Remember though that 1 port will be taken due to your Ethernet cable from your router. You will have 7 available ports.

The PURZ are the new HDD's and the PURX are the older HDD's. Go with the PURZ. The drives are on sale now so get then ASAP: https://www.amazon.com/Purple-Surveillance-Hard-Disk-Drive/dp/B071KVB4F8?th=1 The best $/TB is the 4TB HHD at $29.75/TB then the 8TB HHD at $32.4/TB then the 6TB HDD at $34/TB & finally the 10TB HHD at $35.7/TB. I'm not sure how much storage you want but obviously 2 4TB HHD's is the best bang for the buck. However, I say purchase the largest amount you can afford.

$70-$100 for a monitor seems good depending on size & resolution. Everyone uses different monitors as one size doesn't fit all. Don't overthink this purchase, it's just a display so choose what's important to you (i.e. price, size, reliability, and max resolution). There really is no right or wrong in this category. I personally would get a cheap 4K TV/monitor for future proofing.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

CJ555

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Last edited:

CJ555

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

SkwatzForFood

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Or this
Zyxel 16-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch - Fanless Design [GS1100-16]
https://www.amazon.com/16-Port-Gigabit-Ethernet-Unmanaged-Switch/dp/B004EIFCHK/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1512141054&sr=1-4&keywords=Zyxel+16-Port+Gigabit+Switch

This one is the original brand but its 16 ports and unmanaged which I assume is better for my with my limited knowledge
I have a Zyxel Managed 8 Port switch (GS1900-10HP) and with my limited knowledge was able to get it running fairly easily. I figured out with the help of everyone here that I needed to set my default gateway and to change the POE type and its been running flawlessly. I ended up going managed because I may not know all the ins and outs of it now but I can learn and have more possibilities in the future without having to upgrade. A lot of people like the simplicity of the unmanaged switches though, so it's up to you which route you decide to go there.

CJ555

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Awesome. I will get the Zygel but only in a 16 port model. Thanks Skwatz!
And I respect your decision to go w/ a manged switch! I really do not understand the differences but yeah,... I'm pretty sure I should go unmanaged for now!!! :D
I will be asking enough newbie (and probably common sense) questions as it is!!!! :rolleyes:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Awesome. I will get the Zygel but only in a 16 port model. Thanks Skwatz!
And I respect your decision to go w/ a manged switch! I really do not understand the differences but yeah,... I'm pretty sure I should go unmanaged for now!!! :D
I will be asking enough newbie (and probably common sense) questions as it is!!!! :rolleyes:
@CJ555
WARNING: The 16 port is NOT POE, it's just a switch.
ftp://ftp2.zyxel.com/GS1100-16/datasheet/GS1100-16_9.pdf

CJ555

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
RRRRGGGHHHHH!!!! Back to research Thanks looney,...that would of sucked!!!!!

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

CJ555

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I went with this guy and it's been solid. Only good for 7 cams though.
Yeah unfortunately I definitely want to go 16ch NVR and at least 16 port PoE switch. I know by the time I tackle the back yard I'll be well over 10 cameras!!

I have read about a 24 port Intellient from Walmart but of course I can not find that thread now!! Any opinions on that if it sounds familiar?

And this a little pricey but it's 16 port (does not say managed or unmanaged but does say "plug and play")
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MQHD54L/ref=sspa_dk_detail_2?psc=1

CJ555

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
you can always add another if you need more ports.
Guess I never thought of that. But the "managed" part does intimidate me. I have enough questions coming your way in the near future!!
I do like it is fanless though!

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Guess I never thought of that. But the "managed" part does intimidate me. I have enough questions coming your way in the near future!!
I do like it is fanless though!
As penguin says, you don't have to do anything but plug it in, if you don't want to.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah unfortunately I definitely want to go 16ch NVR and at least 16 port PoE switch. I know by the time I tackle the back yard I'll be well over 10 cameras!!

I have read about a 24 port Intellient from Walmart but of course I can not find that thread now!! Any opinions on that if it sounds familiar?

And this a little pricey but it's 16 port (does not say managed or unmanaged but does say "plug and play")
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MQHD54L/ref=sspa_dk_detail_2?psc=1
That would work, and in the skeem of things, it's not pricey when you want it to be dependable.
Buy once, cry once.