console video not updating, remote ok, also cannot access with phone app, both new issues

gmouer

n3wb
Reaction score
Running BI as a service under windows 10, the local console video is not updating, clocks frozen, video froze at time of login. Remote access either over my lan with either a computer or the phone app works fine., problem only exists on the BI console/server.

ALSO, The phone app (adroid) which did work fine will not connect to the server over the cell network, connecting over my wifi is fine. This also used to work fine. I found that by manually entering the IP address in the phone app it would connect so apparently the BI server is not publishing its address and updating properly.

Any suggestions on cures?

Last edited:

saltwater

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I may not be able to help in the end but straight off the bat more information is needed. What version of Blue Iris are you running? For remote access, how do you access? Is it a VPN? Do you have a static IP from your ISP, if not, this could be a factor? If I can borrow a line from the British sit-com, The IT Crowd, "have you tried turning it off and on again?"

gmouer

n3wb
Reaction score
I may not be able to help in the end but straight off the bat more information is needed. What version of Blue Iris are you running? For remote access, how do you access? Is it a VPN? Do you have a static IP from your ISP, if not, this could be a factor? If I can borrow a line from the British sit-com, The IT Crowd, "have you tried turning it off and on again?"
Running Ver 5, latest release. Accessing with BI android phone app over cell network, no VPN, this is where the problem lies, accessing it within my lan works properly, IP from ISP is not static but usually remains for a year or better. About a week ago the ISP had a fiber cable damaged and I was out for about a day, got a new IP when restored and I believe that is when the problem started, the BI server did not properly publish that new IP even though it is set to do that every 30 minutes in the setup tab. I manually entered the new/correct IP in the BI phone app and it now connects BUT that should have happened automatically.

Bigger concern is the frozen video/time on the BI server/console... works ok remotely.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Not being a wise guy, but exactly how would the app, which isn't connected to the BI machine, know what the new IP would be and since it doesn't know the new IP BI can't send it the new IP. IPCT offers a DDNS service to avoid problems like this, have a look in the Wiki for it.

VPN Information Thread

gmouer

n3wb
Reaction score
Not being a wise guy, but exactly how would the app, which isn't connected to the BI machine, know what the new IP would be and since it doesn't know the new IP BI can't send it the new IP. IPCT offers a DDNS service to avoid problems like this, have a look in the Wiki for it.

VPN Information Thread
Have a look at the setup screen in BI, its supposed to check/publish the WAN IP every 30 minutes it would appear, DDNS functionality is built into blue iris and its android remote app it seems. Its worked this way for me for a couple years now.

Right on the BI software webpage it says "automatically adjusts if the IP changes" It has done that for the last couple years for me.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
As long as it's in communication, maybe, but in this case all communication was lost between the original IP and the new IP. Set up a VPN first, the use a DDNS service. If you have an Asus router both are built in.

saltwater

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Bigger concern is the frozen video/time on the BI server/console... works ok remotely.
To be clear, you are receiving a live video stream, but the time is frozen, that is, not updating?

How are you imprinting the date/time? Is it from the cameras or are you allowing Blue Iris to imprint it?

gmouer

n3wb
Reaction score
As long as it's in communication, maybe, but in this case all communication was lost between the original IP and the new IP. Set up a VPN first, the use a DDNS service. If you have an Asus router both are built in.
As I posted, I have that problem resolved. I am more concerned on the console video/time not refreshing and being frozen.

gmouer

n3wb
Reaction score
To be clear, you are receiving a live video stream, but the time is frozen, that is, not updating?

How are you imprinting the date/time? Is it from the cameras or are you allowing Blue Iris to imprint it?
No live video on the console is frozen images at the instant of login, also the time display for each camera is frozen. BI supplies the time, not the cams. Functioning is normal accessed remotely, problem is only at the console/server. Fairly new problem, worked ok for a couple years. I rarely use the console so didn't notice it for a while.

saltwater

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
No live video on the console is frozen images at the instant of login, also the time display for each camera is frozen. BI supplies the time, not the cams. Functioning is normal accessed remotely, problem is only at the console/server. Fairly new problem, worked ok for a couple years. I rarely use the console so didn't notice it for a while.
Sorry, re-read your first post where you did say, "video froze at login".
Running Ver 5, latest release.
Precisely, what version are you running? Can you confirm shutting down Blue Iris (that is the service) and re-starting and that the same problem persists? And while you do that, you might as well do a shutdown and restart and if the problem persists, all I've got is install a previous version (easily done from the Blue Iris Settings page).

gmouer

n3wb
Reaction score
Sorry, re-read your first post where you did say, "video froze at login".

Precisely, what version are you running? Can you confirm shutting down Blue Iris (that is the service) and re-starting and that the same problem persists? And while you do that, you might as well do a shutdown and restart and if the problem persists, all I've got is install a previous version (easily done from the Blue Iris Settings page).
Right now on ver 5.5.0.12 dated sept 16 but I have already tried older versions as well, all exhibit the problem described. Yes, I restarted many times as well and it restarts automatically when I tried other version releases.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Has your Windows installation updated recently? Are you using hardware acceleration on the cameras?

gmouer

n3wb
Reaction score
Has your Windows installation updated recently? Are you using hardware acceleration on the cameras?
Yes, windows 10 has updated a few times, as windows does. No hardware acceleration. Simple system, only 3 cams on a I7 WIn10 console.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
It could be video driver related. Something, somewhere, on your system has obviously changed. I'd disable automatic updates in Windows, Win10/Pro hopefully.

gmouer

n3wb
Reaction score
It could be video driver related. Something, somewhere, on your system has obviously changed. I'd disable automatic updates in Windows, Win10/Pro hopefully.
I verified the video driver has not changed since original installation. Other software I tested runs fine on the same computer, even graphic intensive stuff like cad/cam. Normally the computer is dedicated to BI only though.
It appears to be a issue with the BI video driver for the console, question is which file and how to replace it without a full uninstall and re-install which would be a pain with having to do all the settings all over.

The video streams are ok, otherwise I couldn't watch them remotely. Its a video issue at the console and apparently BI related only. Instead of generalities, what is needed is someone familiar with the actual files BI uses for console video display and their functionality.

gmouer

n3wb
Reaction score
Just a long shot, try removing a camera completely from Blue Iris, shut down, re-start, then add the camera back through the 'Find Inspect' routine.
WIll give it a try tomorrow for kicks. Don't have high hopes though.... video stream must be ok or I couldn't watch remotely. It appears to be something in the overall BI video integrated driver interfacing.

I wouldn't mind uninstalling and re-installing BI except for the probably 100 or so parameters I would have to reconfigure ! That would be a real pain.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Running BI as a service under windows 10, the local console video is not updating, clocks frozen, video froze at time of login. Remote access either over my lan with either a computer or the phone app works fine., problem only exists on the BI console/server.

ALSO, The phone app (adroid) which did work fine will not connect to the server over the cell network, connecting over my wifi is fine. This also used to work fine. I found that by manually entering the IP address in the phone app it would connect so apparently the BI server is not publishing its address and updating properly.

Any suggestions on cures?
Two separate problems. Both user error.
The video is not updating because you hit the pause button.
The remote viewing over cellular could caused by various issues but not BI. Double check the ip address and if you are using port forwarding (not secure) double check that everything is setup correctly.

gmouer

n3wb
Reaction score
Two separate problems. Both user error.
The video is not updating because you hit the pause button.
The remote viewing over cellular could caused by various issues but not BI. Double check the ip address and if you are using port forwarding (not secure) double check that everything is setup correctly.
Never used the pause button that I know of.... BUT would the "pause" remain in effect even after a cold reboot or for that part updating to a newer version even?