Construction Site fiasco

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
We have been monitoring this site for a few months now. They are building on an empty lot that had a bunch of large old trees and brush and housed a homeless camp. So when they cleared the lot, the residents had to go somewhere else. The contractor figured there would be a ton of theft here and he was right. They had wheels and tires stolen off of the crane that lifted the walls when they putting the building together. Shortly afterwards, we set up our system, with a thermal camera on the roof. This guy entered the building through an opening where there wasn't a window installed. We called P.D. and they arrived a few minutes later.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Just out of interest, what were the cameras used?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
wow that was quite a good response by the police, wondering what does it take for a home owner to get such a timely police response?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
wow that was quite a good response by the police, wondering what does it take for a home owner to get such a timely police response?
If the homeowner calls with verified camera surveillance indicating the suspects are in the house they will respond quickly.

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
I would think a home owner should get the same, if not better response. Most of the time, a homeowner is calling in after the crime has taken effect. It really does not matter if officers show up in 5 minutes or 5 hours. When the crime is in progress, police departments put the call out as a priority.

Tom S

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If the homeowner calls with verified camera surveillance indicating the suspects are in the house they will respond quickly.
Totally agree huge difference in I came home and found my house was broken into vs my house is being broken into right now.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I would think a home owner should get the same, if not better response. Most of the time, a homeowner is calling in after the crime has taken effect. It really does not matter if officers show up in 5 minutes or 5 hours. When the crime is in progress, police departments put the call out as a priority.
FYI - from my experience then, breaking into a garage does not count as a home...

coney27

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
A garage, either way, is considered a dwelling. Anytime an active burglary is into a dwelling you will almost always get a overly dramatic, immediate police response. If it's a home invasion, a burglary into a occupied dwelling, you'll get most, if not all on duty patrolmen responding.

Video verifying an active crime in progress is like tempting a cat with a live mouse right in front of its face. Most cops who are looking for the adrenaline spike and want to catch the bad guy will never say no to a call where a crime in progress is being watched live by another person.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Do you mean a garage that is attached to a house or a mechanic's shop garage?
Dwelling detached garage ... eventually 2 cops showed up for 4 delinquents

it was a part of the reason why I started looking for better security cameras solutions and thus came here to ipcamtalk