Continuesly streaming kills Wi-Fi

Reaction score
Hello Folks,

I've got a strange problem since two months now. I am doing the maintenance for some camera installation of a family of mine. He has multiple camera Dahua installation on his property in town. He wants to watch every one of them from his office. Even tho i've adviced him to run VPN's, he doesn't want it. But the problem is that on one of the location, we've got the following weird problem.

When the ports are forwarded and you're just opening the app for some couple times a day, eveything works smoothly. But when you connect via an external NVR, in this case from his office, the whole network on the property freezes and no one can get internet access. When you unplug the network cable from the modem/router, internet access restores.

The NVR on his office : Dahua NVR5232-16P-4KS2E
Setup on the property: Dahua NVR4104-P-4KS2 with 3x DAHUA HWD4631EM-ASE. Bandwith on location 24 down and 6 up. When connected it uses around 3up. Office NVR connects via main stream.

Does someone have some tips for me?

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
If he's streaming the main stream try the sub stream, that will save some bandwidth.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello Folks,
...I am doing the maintenance for some camera installation of a family of mine. He has multiple camera Dahua installation on his property in town. He wants to watch every one of them from his office. Even tho i've adviced him to run VPN's, he doesn't want it...

When the ports are forwarded and you're just opening the app for some couple times a day, eveything works smoothly. But when you connect via an external NVR, in this case from his office, the whole network on the property freezes and no one can get internet access. When you unplug the network cable from the modem/router, internet access restores.

The NVR on his office : Dahua NVR5232-16P-4KS2E
Setup on the property: Dahua NVR4104-P-4KS2 with 3x DAHUA HWD4631EM-ASE. Bandwith on location 24 down and 6 up. When connected it uses around 3up. Office NVR connects via main stream.

Does someone have some tips for me?
Hi Yasin

given:
1) Friend exposes network to the internet and port forwards
2) Friend streams video streams out and complains that when streaming out that the internet "chokes" at the remote site...

My advice:
RUN AWAY from this job for your friend. Stop doing free tech support for those who do not value your recommendations.

Reaction score
Don't port forward ffs.

Do a speed test to a server somewhat close to his office (in the same city if possible), maybe he isn't getting 6Mb/s UP as advertised. Maybe either his home/office provider is throttling his internet upload/download because of bandwidth limits (for example, you could easily exceed Comcast limit of 1000 GB/month streaming constantly plus added other traffic).

I have a remote 10/3 connection that is completely swamped with 3x 2MP cameras at 2 FPS each. Depending on your friends frame rate per camera, and combined with the higher resolution of 3x4MP that could entirely be the issue.

After doing it for a few years now, I would say don't stream over a connection if you can help it. The next time I am at the remote location I will install a dedicated PC, and just stream substreams over the VPN tunnel to conserve bandwidth so I can handle basic monitoring (99.999% of the time NOTHING is happening) and have a local copy at higher FPS and resolution to retrieve in case of an event.

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip guys. Well maybe you're right to. Shouldn't spend much time with people who don't respect my advice. But I hope that he doesn't learns it the hard way... The information about the bandwith is actually my own tested speed rates via speedtest.net

Back to the topic. I am trying to connect to the remote channel via the substream. But the only option i see is the "decoder buffer" setting. When i try to decrease the resolution via encode, it also decreases it on the remote NVR... How can i help to fix that?

My aim is just as CRW030 is saying to give him a reasonable low fps stream while recording locally on high fps. Thanks for the input!

Reaction score
I am not familiar with the NVR landscape so hopefully someone else can help you progress further. In my cameras, there is an option to enable substream (substream1 and substream2) in the camera interface, and combining that with a URL parameter in Blue Iris you can record the sub-stream instead of the main stream. This particular model has a main stream plus two substreams that can be independently enabled and a resolution can be selected from a predefined list. If the stream is not enabled in Blue Iris you get an error "No Signal" indication.

samples: substream1: /cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=1&unicast=true&proto=Onvif
main stream: /cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=0&unicast=true&proto=Onvif

Reaction score
I am not familiar with the NVR landscape so hopefully someone else can help you progress further. In my cameras, there is an option to enable substream (substream1 and substream2) in the camera interface, and combining that with a URL parameter in Blue Iris you can record the sub-stream instead of the main stream. This particular model has a main stream plus two substreams that can be independently enabled and a resolution can be selected from a predefined list. If the stream is not enabled in Blue Iris you get an error "No Signal" indication.

samples: substream1: /cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=1&unicast=true&proto=Onvif
main stream: /cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=0&unicast=true&proto=Onvif
Well this makes sense. But unfortunately it doens't work like this with de NVR with Dahua. I will look at it further in the Dahua sub-forum. Maybe any Dahua Expert you can mention here?