Contractor left me with this to mount my cameras

HRain2020

n3wb
Reaction score
Got the laziest contractor who fought to do the most basic job. I asked to have the cat6 run outside for my reolink cameras. But he left me with this circular metal box. It has 4 screw holes and they only align to the reolink’s 3 holes. My idea is to buy the metal cover from Home Depot and get some metal screws to attach the reolink cameras. Any better or easier options?

Attachments

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah, I'd use the standard electrical box cover and then mark the reolink holes on the blank cover with a pencil and drill holes small enough to self-tap some sheetmetal screws into it....
Might want to moisture proof/ bug proof it with something.
1700206787921.png

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
you could conceivably order a camera mount and attach it to the blank cover. I was looking for one with 4 mounting hole cut into it. but I'm not sure what dimensions you have there....might have to drill 2 additional holes in a standard blank to get a secure fit. if your gonna hang more shit off of it....

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Got the laziest contractor who fought to do the most basic job. I asked to have the cat6 run outside for my reolink cameras. But he left me with this circular metal box. It has 4 screw holes and they only align to the reolink’s 3 holes. My idea is to buy the metal cover from Home Depot and get some metal screws to attach the reolink cameras. Any better or easier options?
Any better or easier options?

dump the Reolink ?

Starglow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
How heavy is the camera...? Three screws might be enough depending on what you're mounting but doing some custom fabrication work is normal when it comes to installing cameras.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I thought from a previous post you bought cams from Andy?

Anyhoo, what specific model(s) of Reolinks are you wanting to mount to that circular ceiling box?

Starglow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I used one of those as a backer plate to mount my PTZ camera because the metal cover that came with the camera box was too thin to hold the heavy weight of the PTZ. I drilled some holes and used JB weld to fasten nuts behind the thicker plate which works fine as long as you don't use a screw gun to install or remove the camera mounting screws otherwise the nuts will break loose because of the high torque, but a regular screwdriver works great. Unfortunately I didn't take any photos when I did the work. :(

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi @HRain2020

Home builders / electricians typically end up using electrical boxes .. and we need to then mod a plate or find a special premade plate ..

HRain2020

n3wb
Reaction score
I thought from a previous post you bought cams from Andy?

Anyhoo, what specific model(s) of Reolinks are you wanting to mount to that circular ceiling box?
Another reason why late night posting is a bad idea. You're right and my brain was mush. I did get the 5442 Turrets and IPC-Color4K-X 2.8mm & 3.6mm cameras.

Sounds like there is a bracket that might work: OR just get the standard metal plate and drill some pilot holes for metal screws.

Appreciate the advice and I'm glad I am just a little bit closer to finally getting the cameras up and running.

Thank you everyone!!

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
OR just get the standard metal plate and drill some pilot holes for metal screws.
That'd be my first try...

The cam's junction box will likely cover and prevent access to that metal cover for the in-wall box so you may have to drill pass-through holes in back of your camera junction box, drill and tap holes in the metal cover for the in-wall box that line up with the pass-through holes in the back of your camera junction box, mount the metal cover to the in-wall box then mount the camera junction box to it.

Instead of drilling & tapping holes in the metal cover for the in-wall box, it's likely pretty thin metal and so either self-tapping screws or sheet metal screws with the sharp tips ground down to smooth, then tightened into the pre-drilled holes may be better.

Whew! :lol: