Costco LNR 6108 -Did I make a mistake?

gregorio

n3wb
Reaction score
I took advantage of the $699 sale at Costco for the Lorex LNR6108 by getting two of them. After a flawless installation of the first, the second one had some issues. First, there seems to be a bad camera. It is recognized by the system but there is no video. Sadly, I already painted and mounted it. Second, it takes a lot longer to load the multiple camera feed on mobile devices even on the same network. I made sure to select sub stream but the second NVR takes about 5-10 times longer to load the video. All settings look to be the same - I didn't change anything. Last and worst of all, the NVR is much louder than the first one. To confirm it, I moved it next to the first one and plugged it in. The fan sounds like a jet engine while the first one is practically silent by comparison.

Did I get a lemon or are these irregularities common and to be expected?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I took advantage of the $699 sale at Costco for the Lorex LNR6108 by getting two of them. After a flawless installation of the first, the second one had some issues. First, there seems to be a bad camera. It is recognized by the system but there is no video. Sadly, I already painted and mounted it. Second, it takes a lot longer to load the multiple camera feed on mobile devices even on the same network. I made sure to select sub stream but the second NVR takes about 5-10 times longer to load the video. All settings look to be the same - I didn't change anything. Last and worst of all, the NVR is much louder than the first one. To confirm it, I moved it next to the first one and plugged it in. The fan sounds like a jet engine while the first one is practically silent by comparison.

Did I get a lemon or are these irregularities common and to be expected?
Thanks @gregorio

Interesting, one NVR is louder than the other.

Wondering if one fan is spinning more than the other one? or just a freak variation? ( a theory is that a lot of the noise is coming from air turbulence at the air intake grill. )

Did you test the camera with a known good cable before installing? ( remember, those following this post - bench test each camera before installing )

I would try a known good cable and a known good port to test it.

Delays on the 2nd NVR - double check the cable, make certain the cables are not running next to AC electrical lines.

gregorio

n3wb
Reaction score
I thought it was interesting as well. Night and day difference in sound level and frequency is much higher. Not sure if it is only a speed difference.

I didn't start bench testing the cameras until I had this problem. :embarrassed: It was tested with a known good (short) patch cable plugged right into the NVR with similar results. Definitely some kind of problem with the camera. I might try plugging it into my test network and probing it directly just for grins.

Excellent idea on the delay issues. I'll run some speed/noise tests on the uplink to see if there is something inherently wrong there.

gregorio

n3wb
Reaction score
Quick update.

The noise seems to be mostly vibration. I can apply pressure to the case or try to twist it and the sound is much improved. Still a little louder but not as annoying. Might be a crap fan inside.

Ran some speed tests on the cable and port that was used for the NVR and they come back almost identical to the router's built in test. Maybe I'll try to restore it to defaults and start over. Should not take long to rebuild and I missed something in the config.

Camera is not giving up any information. Probably not going to waste much more time on it. Not sure how Costco is going to handle this. I've installed the other 5 cameras and painted them all as well.

gregorio

n3wb
Reaction score
So, talked to Costco. They want the whole thing back. I've already run wires and mounted cameras, two of them 20' up! Not going to rip it all out to get one camera fixed. Thought about buying a complete new system and return it with the bad one but they are out of stock and the other store near me has what looks like a new model. Contacting Lorex directly to see what I can do.

Speed test came back great. Funny thing is that after rebooting and reconnecting the system, it seems to run normally. Hoping it stays that way.

I put a heavy book on the NVR and the noise doesn't bother me much any more.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So, talked to Costco. They want the whole thing back. I've already run wires and mounted cameras, two of them 20' up! Not going to rip it all out to get one camera fixed. Thought about buying a complete new system and return it with the bad one but they are out of stock and the other store near me has what looks like a new model. Contacting Lorex directly to see what I can do.

Speed test came back great. Funny thing is that after rebooting and reconnecting the system, it seems to run normally. Hoping it stays that way.

I put a heavy book on the NVR and the noise doesn't bother me much any more.
just buy the same color cables and send it back. They wont check. Or better yet take it back to a store.