Costco Price Drop > Swann Rebranded DS-2CD2032-I 2-Pack

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
There's a $100.00 price drop at Costco, down to $249.99 from the regular price of $349.99. I believe that these are Swann re-branded Hikvision DS-2CD2032-I cams. I purchased 6 or 8 of these units a year or more back when they were the 2MP units (which have since been replaced by these 3MP units). My 2MP Costco/Swann/Hikvision cameras are all native English and they all took firmware updates a number of times which I had pulled off one of the Hikvision western websites (I'd have to track down the URL to remember which site).

While Milk or Nelly's or some other western vendor may be selling these units at the same price you've got to admit that no one will ever beat the Costco refund policy...which I believe may basically be FOREVER (I just returned a 10-year old copy Canon copier for a full refund).

I wonder if Swann/Costco is firesaling these cameras to make way for new 4MP units?...or perhaps someone simply made a mistake with the listing?

In any event, given the warranty it seems like a decent deal now and I hope that someone may benefit from this...

Swann 3MP HD IP Add-on Bullet Camera 2-Pack
2 Outdoor Rated 3MP HD IP 1080p Bullet Cameras, 115' NV, 2 60' Cables
http://www.costco.com/Swann-3MP-HD-IP-Add-on-Bullet-Camera-2-Pack.product.100146709.html

Attachments

BrandonR

n3wb
Reaction score
It appears Costco is still selling these for $199. I have heard Swann may have stopped re-branded Hikvision cameras. What is the best way to verify these units are actually still rebranded Hikvision?

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It appears Costco is still selling these for $199. I have heard Swann may have stopped re-branded Hikvision cameras. What is the best way to verify these units are actually still rebranded Hikvision?
Buy one. And if it's not take it back to Costco for a full refund.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
overpriced...the dahua varifocal turret for 170 is a much better value and the low light images will be much better as well

BrandonR

n3wb
Reaction score
I've already got some Hik turrets on the way as well. I just wanted to play around with these bullets in a few locations. I have a pair on order to see what these actually are.

They are $199 for 2, so a bit cheaper than the dahua varifocal and I don't think I need a variable where I plan to mount these (overlooking a small backyard).

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
They will be hikvision rebranded bullets...there is absolutely no reason to install bullets when turrets are available, you will regret it...even with easy returns you still need to install, uninstall return...

BrandonR

n3wb
Reaction score
So I guess turrets really are better in every way... I may just order 2 more turrets then as the price difference difference will be about $100-$150 at most for a pair between the Costco bullets and Hik turrets depending on where I source them from. Thanks...

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
They will be hikvision rebranded bullets...there is absolutely no reason to install bullets when turrets are available, you will regret it...even with easy returns you still need to install, uninstall return...
2 HIK bullets? Child's play! Try that task with four (4) 12,000 BTU window air conditioners; I can tell you it's no cakewalk!

BrandonR

n3wb
Reaction score
FWIW, I've got a 1 story with cable already run from my office to the eaves. Install/Uninstall would just be a few minutes on a ladder. :)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
2 HIK bullets? Child's play! Try that task with four (4) 12,000 BTU window air conditioners; I can tell you it's no cakewalk!
You look like you can handle it....

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Don't listen to Fenderman...he's been drinking too much of that Trump champagne. I started out with 6 of those Costco/Hikvision rebrands and they've been running great for over 2 years now. However, Fenderlicious is correct when he says that the turrets will serve you better, especially for an outside installation because they will attracts less spiders (webs) and will virtually eliminate IR reflection.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Don't listen to Fenderman...he's been drinking too much of that Trump champagne. I started out with 6 of those Costco/Hikvision rebrands and they've been running great for over 2 years now. However, Fenderlicious is correct when he says that the turrets will serve you better, especially for an outside installation because they will attracts less spiders (webs) and will virtually eliminate IR reflection.
I too have installed the costco swann cams years ago-even popped hik firmware on one for kiks.....they are running great..spiders cause issues...not worth it...for 70 dollars more you get turret design, motorized varifocal, sd card backup recording, mic and most importantly MUCH MUCH better low light and night vision...its a no brainer..

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
As noted in the other thread low light in that camera is a bit worse than the varifocal but still light years ahead of the hikvision....the 35 dollars is well worth it for the varifocal...varifocal also provides for a quasi resolution increase, for example, if you end up setting the varifocal to say 5mm then you are getting more pixels per inch then if you were to use a 4mm camera...

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As noted in the other thread low light in that camera is a bit worse than the varifocal but still light years ahead of the hikvision....the 35 dollars is well worth it for the varifocal...varifocal also provides for a quasi resolution increase, for example, if you end up setting the varifocal to say 5mm then you are getting more pixels per inch then if you were to use a 4mm camera...
And -- should you decide to move it to a different location in a year or so -- the variable focal length may come in immensely handy.