Could someone who knows what they're doing looking over my wiring "schematic"?

evilblackdog

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I got an awesome new Dahua system from Andy and I'm hoping one of you generous souls could look over my plan to see if I'm correct. I'm hoping this works so I don't have to run new line between the house and the shop. Thank you all.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Looks good to me, as long as your routers have enough ports, and the shop router is set to bridged mode.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I got an awesome new Dahua system from Andy and I'm hoping one of you generous souls could look over my plan to see if I'm correct. I'm hoping this works so I don't have to run new line between the house and the shop. Thank you all.

you want to connect the dahua NVR and the poe switch next to the router, you also want to connect the second poe switch to the first, this way no data is passed through your primary router.

evilblackdog

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
you want to connect the dahua NVR and the poe switch next to the router, you also want to connect the second poe switch to the first, this way no data is passed through your primary router.
Thanks for the help Fenderman but I've read that a few times and I'm not sure I follow so I'm restating it below as I understand...

The switch in the house and the NVR should be connected to each other without involving the router in the house.
The switch in the shop should be connected directly to the switch in the house.
This means that I'll have to run another line between the shop and the house.

Thank you for the help.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help Fenderman but I've read that a few times and I'm not sure I follow so I'm restating it below as I understand...

The switch in the house and the NVR should be connected to each other without involving the router in the house.
The switch in the shop should be connected directly to the switch in the house.
This means that I'll have to run another line between the shop and the house.

Thank you for the help.
connect the dahua nvr to the switch in the house, then connect the house switch to the house router.
in the shop, connect the incoming line (from the house) to the switch, then connect the access point to that switch.

evilblackdog

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
connect the dahua nvr to the switch in the house, then connect the house switch to the house router.
in the shop, connect the incoming line (from the house) to the switch, then connect the access point to that switch.
Thank you, I've updated the layout for absolute clarity.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
What is the problem with this? What does this accomplish?
Routers are primarily for routing.
Some routers don't cope well with continuous high traffic being passed via the switch ports.
Quite a while back I swapped out the ISP-supplied router as the internet download speed dropped 50% when a couple of switch ports were running at 30% utilisation.
Even low-end switches should be non-blocking up to full wire speed on all switch ports.
Switches are for switching.