CPU Help - New Here

Bigzebra

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,

First time posting here. I'll start by stating this forum has been a wonderful resource thus far and I appreciate the help I've gained from lurking.

Anyway, I'm running a new seven camera system with a combination of Hikvision 3mp turrets and minibullets. I made my own NVR on a mini ATX platform with an MSI motherboard. The processor is an i7-7700 @ 3.6 GHZ, 3600 Mhz. 4TBH HHD that the footage is stored on, with a 120GB Sandisc SSD. 8 gigs of RAM. Windows 10 Pro. The unit is headless and I'm accessing the NVR via Teamviewer.

I've set each camera to record direct to disc. Each camera has been programmed to record at 15 FPS; I've set the recording rate in BI at 20 FPS.

When the Blue Iris window is closed the system is using between 35% and 50% of the CPU's capacity. When BI is opened it shoots up to about 80%.

Here's the problem: When I attempted to play back recorded footage the CPU use immediately shoots to 100% and the computer locks up.

I also noticed in the system info the the installed physical memory is listed at 8.0GB, but the physical memory is only 3.74GB. Not sure if that has anything to do with the issue.

I've also followed (most) of the advice here: Optimizing Blue Iris's CPU Usage | IP Cam Talk

Thanks!

Gymratz

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
That usage definitely seems high, I believe my system is pushing a lot more through it and has a much older i3 running it.
First suggestion would be to ditch Teamviewer, using native RDP should lower the processor utilization.
Also for the hardware acceleration, have you tried Yes+VideoPostProc to see if that operates better for you?
Finally - are you using 264 or 265? While 265 will use less space, I've found it to use more CPU. While it may not be that big of a deal on your processor - on my older i3 it was a huge difference - all of my cameras are set to 264.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Your problem is TeamViewer...also if you accidentally installed 32 bit windows you could be having a low memory issue

Bigzebra

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

So I've researched to access the NVR via the native Microsoft's remote desktop. I'm still experiencing higher CPU numbers, although not quite as high as previously experienced.

I might add that the CPU numbers really got high when I recently added two cameras that come in on Nanobeams. Do those things use up CPU?

Do you recommend I delete Teamviewer from the NVR? I suppose my concern is that if I'm out of town or something I won't be able to get into the NVR. But then again it's been working great.

Edited to add: I have installed 64 bit Windows.

MichiganBroadband.com

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
As a first I'd drop the TeamViewer install just to see if the issue clears up.
Then com back to the question after everything is working great if putting TV back on breaks it or CPU usage.
TV may have settings that you can tweak to reduce the CPU usage.
You also may have options of just using built in RDP in windows remotely. Or you could use another computer on the local network to run TeamViewer
The RDP from that over to the NVR to get around this issue at the cost of having to involve two PCs :(

Anyhow one step at a time,
My Recco- see if dropping TV makes it play nice or if the problem is still there without TV.

Reaction score
If you right click on start and select "System" on the window that pops up in the middle or some where it tells you it is 32bit or 64bit. if it is 32bit. You def need to reload to 64bit as you will gain the use of all 8GB of ram.

Also Don't use TeamViewer, Use RDP it isnt that hard to setup and if you like a windowed mode you can get RDCMAN from MS and that will make is appear in a window all the time.

How many camera's are you running from the server?

If you are using h.264 are you using HW acceleration ?

Bigzebra

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok, so I've uninstalled TeamViewer.

The NVR is headless, so it's already sans monitor/TV.

I'm running 7 cameras to the NVR.

When the BI interface is closed and/or minimized, the usage us right ~27%. When it's opened, or unminimized, CPU usage jumps up to between 70% and 95%.

Interestingly, if I disable one camera CPU use drops to ~40%. Disable two cameras? Drops to 25%.

It appears as though I get the best reductions in CPU use percentages when I disable the two cameras that are the most recent additions. They are transmitted to the house via the Nanobeams. Perhaps that has something to do with this issue?

I have made sure both new cameras record direct to disc.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok, so I've uninstalled TeamViewer.

The NVR is headless, so it's already sans monitor/TV.

I'm running 7 cameras to the NVR.

When the BI interface is closed and/or minimized, the usage us right ~27%. When it's opened, or unminimized, CPU usage jumps up to between 70% and 95%.

Interestingly, if I disable one camera CPU use drops to ~40%. Disable two cameras? Drops to 25%.

It appears as though I get the best reductions in CPU use percentages when I disable the two cameras that are the most recent additions. They are transmitted to the house via the Nanobeams. Perhaps that has something to do with this issue?

I have made sure both new cameras record direct to disc.
how are you viewing the pc?
also, check the available physical memory...if its still 3.74 then that could explain your issue..blue iris needs ram...Blue iris and CPU consumption as it relates to memory usage

Bigzebra

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks again for your replies.

how are you viewing the pc?
also, check the available physical memory...if its still 3.74 then that could explain your issue..blue iris needs ram...Blue iris and CPU consumption as it relates to memory usage
I am now viewing the PC via the previously suggested native Microsoft remote desktop.

I ended up buying another 8 GB stick of RAM from Amazon. I just installed it and all the problems seem to have cleared up. In fact it's running lightening fast. The highest percentages I can get out of the CPU are around 50% when reviewing recorded footage on all seven cameras.

I'm guessing the first stick might have something wrong with it. I may return it and get a replacement.