CPU Usage HIGH

Ox1574

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Out of nowhere my CPU usage is now hovering around 30% which is not bad. I even added a camera and now have 6 running. No idea how it dropped, but I know the direct to disk helped, and moving it to local storage instead of an external HD. One issue I am still seeing out of one of my 4MP Hikvision is the motion pixelation. Three other identical cameras aren't having any issue. All four are setup the exact same way yet this one has the motion blur/pixelation problem. Any ideas on how to resolve that? I do have noise reduction turned on all four @ 50 because of how terrible they looked at night while off.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Out of nowhere my CPU usage is now hovering around 30% which is not bad. I even added a camera and now have 6 running. No idea how it dropped, but I know the direct to disk helped, and moving it to local storage instead of an external HD. One issue I am still seeing out of one of my 4MP Hikvision is the motion pixelation. Three other identical cameras aren't having any issue. All four are setup the exact same way yet this one has the motion blur/pixelation problem. Any ideas on how to resolve that? I do have noise reduction turned on all four @ 50 because of how terrible they looked at night while off.
post a video of what you are seeing. First things to try is match the iframe interval to fps. Also increase the receive buffer in blue iris to 20mb.

Ox1574

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
post a video of what you are seeing. First things to try is match the iframe interval to fps. Also increase the receive buffer in blue iris to 20mb.
Awesome I think that did it. My iframe interval was already set to match the FPS. I did however increase the buffer to 20mb and that seemed to fix the issue. Default for all cameras or BI was 3mb. Should I increase all cameras to 20mb? What affect does that have on performance, etc.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Awesome I think that did it. My iframe interval was already set to match the FPS. I did however increase the buffer to 20mb and that seemed to fix the issue. Default for all cameras or BI was 3mb. Should I increase all cameras to 20mb? What affect does that have on performance, etc.
I have not noticed any impact on performance by setting all the cams to 20

cltbwc

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I too had high CPU issues. Using the input from several users on this forum (particularly federman) I purchased/built a dedicated machine with the following attributes. I've wrestled with several challenges and finally found (thus far) the best setup for me. I recently had a hardware failure and had the motherboard replaced. I took the opportunity to baseline the build and only load the minimal add-on software needed. I hope this helps.

Here's my system information:

-Dell 9020 Optiplex
-Intel i7-4790 3.6GHz
-32GB RAM (BI rarely goes above 4.1GB utilized)
-Intel HD 4600
-Windows 10 - built ground up
-BI Version 4.2.9.0
-C: Drive 1TB (internal - BI Application and DB
-E: Drive 2TB (internal) - BI Video clips "current" (BI assigned 1GB)
-F: WD My Cloud Duo 12TB (USB) - BI clips Files "older" (BI assigned 10.9TB)
-G: WD My Cloud Duo 12TB (USB) - BI clips Files "oldest" (BI assigned 10.9TB)
-Run disk defrag on c: and E: 3 times weekly
-Dahua IPC-HDBW4300E (4)
-Dahua IPC-HFW4300S (8)
-Set @30FPS for all cameras (some actual FPS range 25-30FPS)
-Norton Internet Security (BI directories excluded from scan)
-Running BI as a service
-Direct-to-Disk
-Hardware Acceleration - On
-I maintain ~40 days worth of clips

BI CPU 40% +/- 5% during the day. Evening hours 46% +/- 5%
If I open the console, I see a ~10% lift in CPU utilization

Ox1574

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I actually pulled the trigger on my Optiplex 9020 yesterday and will be doing close to the same thing.

cltbwc

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
FYI - My 9020 came with a Nividia card installed. I removed it to ensure I could take advantage of the hardware acceleration.

Ox1574

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Man what a difference a stand alone machine makes. Got my Optiplex 9020 today, got two more cameras installed, and BI w/tools installed and rocking. CPU running 8 cameras is around 10%, add one web connection 12%, then add phone app on top of that and it goes to a whopping 14%. Thanks for all the info on this board guys!

cltbwc

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Congratulations!! You'll continue to appreciate the value of a dedicated machine.

nikleb

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I started noticing high CPU usage after adding a second camera (Hikvision DS-2CD2542FWD-IWS).
Granted my server is old (Dell PowerEdge T100). I believe it has an integrated ATI ES1000 video.

Would it help if I installed a new GPU? Would it need to be Intel?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I started noticing high CPU usage after adding a second camera (Hikvision DS-2CD2542FWD-IWS).
Granted my server is old (Dell PowerEdge T100). I believe it has an integrated ATI ES1000 video.

Would it help if I installed a new GPU? Would it need to be Intel?
No it wont. You are way better of buying a haswell i5-4590 desktop for 300 dollars. You will save in power consumption as well (good chance the new system will pay for itself).

nikleb

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
No it wont. You are way better of buying a haswell i5-4590 desktop for 300 dollars. You will save in power consumption as well (good chance the new system will pay for itself).
Sounds like I can no longer push out installing a new PC. I have a Dual Core Pentium E2220 2.4Ghz 800Mhz CPU in the T100.
BTW. I noticed that the CPU goes down around 52% when BlueIris is minimized, when it is restored it is around 92%.

eric512

n3wb
Reaction score
I too had high CPU issues. Using the input from several users on this forum (particularly federman) I purchased/built a dedicated machine with the following attributes. I've wrestled with several challenges and finally found (thus far) the best setup for me. I recently had a hardware failure and had the motherboard replaced. I took the opportunity to baseline the build and only load the minimal add-on software needed. I hope this helps.

Here's my system information:

-Dell 9020 Optiplex
-Intel i7-4790 3.6GHz
-32GB RAM (BI rarely goes above 4.1GB utilized)
-Intel HD 4600
-Windows 10 - built ground up
-BI Version 4.2.9.0
-C: Drive 1TB (internal - BI Application and DB
-E: Drive 2TB (internal) - BI Video clips "current" (BI assigned 1GB)
-F: WD My Cloud Duo 12TB (USB) - BI clips Files "older" (BI assigned 10.9TB)
-G: WD My Cloud Duo 12TB (USB) - BI clips Files "oldest" (BI assigned 10.9TB)
-Run disk defrag on c: and E: 3 times weekly
-Dahua IPC-HDBW4300E (4)
-Dahua IPC-HFW4300S (8)
-Set @30FPS for all cameras (some actual FPS range 25-30FPS)
-Norton Internet Security (BI directories excluded from scan)
-Running BI as a service
-Direct-to-Disk
-Hardware Acceleration - On
-I maintain ~40 days worth of clips

BI CPU 40% +/- 5% during the day. Evening hours 46% +/- 5%
If I open the console, I see a ~10% lift in CPU utilization
Nice - but I would recommend you not defrag the disk. It just puts extra wear on them. Modern disks are fast enough. Then dump Norton, its worthless. Just slows your machine down. Leave the MS Defender built into Win 10. Good enough. 32G of RAM should run nicely, but yes a little too much.

cltbwc

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the recommendation. With the various versions since my post, I run just around 40% CPU. So far so good!!