CPU Usage HIGH

Ox1574

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I assume you mean on the HikVision camera itself and not inside BI. But yes I have it completely set to OFF instead of NORMAL or just dropping it down to 0. Turned it back on to normal and off again...still ghosting.

I'm sorry, I was not describing my issue correctly. It is not ghosting, but say a car drives by the car itself kind of blurs, skips, and pixelates.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah I already turned off the Noise reduction hoping that would fix it, but it's still an issue. I know I need to get a machine strictly for BI...that opens a whole new can of worms.
buy a 300 dollar haswell machine for blue iris. you cannot use a blue iris machine for gaming, its silly and will only cause problems.
for ghosting, make sure the cameras iframe interval matches the fps.

Ox1574

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Back to my original question though....should the cpu spike 30-40% when just maximizing the BI app on the desktop as opposed to having it minimized?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Back to my original question though....should the cpu spike 30-40% when just maximizing the BI app on the desktop as opposed to having it minimized?
no it should not. Are you viewing direct on a monitor or remoting in.

Ox1574

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
direct

I might have figured out my pixelating issue on recordings. In an effort to curb the CPU spike I started writing to disk, which is an attached USB 3 external HD. Once I turned off D2D the recordings cleared up.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
direct

I might have figured out my pixelating issue on recordings. In an effort to curb the CPU spike I started writing to disk, which is an attached USB 3 external HD. Once I turned off D2D the recordings cleared up.
your cpu usage is abnormally high for the load. there could be many things causing this. That is why you need to have a clean system from the get go.

Ox1574

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Actually I was D2D on an internal SAS drive, not a external USB. My SSD drive is for my C: partition and the D: is the SAS. This is a newly built system. I just wiped the entire thing clean and started over. I am running Windows 10 fully patched.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Actually I was D2D on an internal SAS drive, not a external USB. My SSD drive is for my C: partition and the D: is the SAS. This is a newly built system. I just wiped the entire thing clean and started over. I am running Windows 10 fully patched.
I don't understand your first sentence. Is each camera set to direct to disc?

techfun

n3wb
Reaction score
This is my main desktop/gaming machine so I won't be pulling out that card. :) These new HikVision cameras are screwing everything up! They are much better than the Foscam's I have been running. I probably need to tweak the cameras more. I am getting ghosting on them now when the foscams never did. Should I be running these are 20fps? what about bitrate, video quality, etc?
You can actually use your graphics card as well as Intel hardware acceleration. Simply connect your monitor to the graphics card and connect a display emulator to the HDMI port of the motherboard. This way you will be enabling both. When you open Display Settings you will see two monitors. Make sure to set 'Duplicate these monitors'. It worked out perfectly for me.

http://www.amazon.com/CompuLab-4K-Display-Emulator-fit-Headless/dp/B00JKFTYA8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1454634027&sr=8-1&keywords=fit+headless+4k

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Ox1574

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You turned it off, not just set it to 0 right?

If so turn it on and off again. The other day I experienced a glitch where it said noise reduction was off but it was actually on. I had to turn it on and off again to fix it.

Man, I had to turn Noise Reduction back on and set to 50....at night time it looks crazy grainy and just plain awful.

Ox1574

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
OK so time to poll everyone about what kind of machine to get for a dedicated BI box. Definitely don't want to break the bank, but don't want a piece of junk either. Can anyone chime in on what a good option out there is?

Thanks!

kboxvegas

n3wb
Reaction score
Lenovo ts140, Dell t20, or t110 with the Xeon E3. Keep an eye on slickdeals.net, they come up every 3 months or so for ~$280. Last round was nov&dec so they should be on sale again soon.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
OK so time to poll everyone about what kind of machine to get for a dedicated BI box. Definitely don't want to break the bank, but don't want a piece of junk either. Can anyone chime in on what a good option out there is?

Thanks!
It will depend on the number of cameras and resolution you intend to run. For most applications an i5 haswell is sufficient. Search the forum for elitedesk and optiplex. You can get a 4th gen haswell for 300 with a 3 year next business day warranty.

Reaction score
Man, I had to turn Noise Reduction back on and set to 50....at night time it looks crazy grainy and just plain awful.
To be honest with you, I'm not a fan of the new 4mp Hikvision cameras. I prefer the 3mp and 2mp variants for this reason.

What's the firmware version and date running on the Hikvision cameras? I upgraded mine to V5.3.6 Build 151105 and it improved the image quality.

Ox1574

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
To be honest with you, I'm not a fan of the new 4mp Hikvision cameras. I prefer the 3mp and 2mp variants for this reason.

What's the firmware version and date running on the Hikvision cameras? I upgraded mine to V5.3.6 Build 151105 and it improved the image quality.
That is the exact same version and build that I am running. I find it hard to believe that this camera is worse than my ~$150 foscams, and I was about to order 3-4 more. I'm hoping with some tweaks and a standalone BI box that this setup will be much better than my previous one.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
That is the exact same version and build that I am running. I find it hard to believe that this camera is worse than my ~$150 foscams, and I was about to order 3-4 more. I'm hoping with some tweaks and a standalone BI box that this setup will be much better than my previous one.
Your foscam is 720p. A 720p hikvision or dahua will also provide better low light images.

Bradmph

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
In the OTHER menu of Blue Iris Options located in the lower ADVANCED box where SCALING/REVERSE MOUSE SCROLL WHEEL SENSE & CPU USAGE DIVISOR is located, What is the CPU USAGE ADVISOR doing when changing for example...1 to 4?
There is no clear description in BI "?" and since I changed from 1 to 4, my CPU usage is doing much better. I hope this setting is for CPU cores because it would disappointing if I had to reset it back 1.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
In the OTHER menu of Blue Iris Options located in the lower ADVANCED box where SCALING/REVERSE MOUSE SCROLL WHEEL SENSE & CPU USAGE DIVISOR is located, What is the CPU USAGE ADVISOR doing when changing for example...1 to 4?
There is no clear description in BI "?" and since I changed from 1 to 4, my CPU usage is doing much better. I hope this setting is for CPU cores because it would disappointing if I had to reset it back 1.
That does nothing to reduce the cpu...it simply divides the cpu consumption for reporting purposes. If you look in task manager you will see that nothing has changed.
I guess in some cases folks were getting incorrect numbers.