CPU usage in Blue Iris against actual CPU usage in task manager

Reaction score
your processor is i7-4720HQ @2.60 GHZ. But it is only running at 1.20GHZ, this the problem with a laptop as it heats up it slows down. That is why you see the speed differences.

Check out Blue Iris Update Helper

There is only one entry for your processor and it is running nearly max out.

Laptops are not design to run 24/7/365, You will Burn it up.
Thanks. Yes thats now understood. I appreciate the response. I am already trying to hunt around for a proper desktop with the suggested BI specs

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Do not known about the UK availability. My current BI PC (HP EliteDESK tower) came from a seller on EBAY. I junked the disk drive add a 120GB SSD and a 4 TB WD purple. It takes time to look and shop on ebay, it took about a month for the correct system to show up at the correct price.

Pick a system that meets your needs for the next 2 years, do not over buy.

go slow and take your time.

cferd5

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
To get to the original question though, does anyone know why BI is reporting 100% CPU and task manager is showing only 46%?

I have noticed differences between the two figures on my machine, but they were only a few percent. Perhaps @bp2008 would know why?
Have you tried changing Settings>Other: CPU usage factor? Setting it to 0.5 should drop the BI reading in half.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The original post stated that the machine was lagging, video lagging. That indicates underpowered. Changing a number won't fix that. Just opening task manager changes how the machine is handling each task so there will, inevitably, be differences.

cferd5

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My reply was not to the OP, but to a post asking if someone knew why the 2 readings would be different.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Differences in the way the calculation is made or read. None of this is an absolute so the actual numbers involved aren't all that critical. If I run CPU temp I get yet a another percentage. Does it really matter? Not really. I would take task manager over any of the other readings as being, probably, the most accurate.

cferd5

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It doesn't matter but it's nice to have a general idea where your CPU usage is at any given time. I'm sure nobody keeps their Task manager open all the time, so a quick glance at the BI CPU reading should be enough to know whether there may be issue or not. And the best way to keep it reliable is to make sure it's not way off from the Task manager reading. The setting mentioned above helps with that.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
A laptop will never have the correct cpu value in BI. As the clock keeps changing speed. So setting the number in BI a waste of time. On a desktop CPU may change when it jumps to Turbo mode if available. CPU is a guide, it is not accurate on modern cpus.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I would take task manager over any of the other readings as being, probably, the most accurate.
Yeah, but the Details tab disagrees with the other tabs!

A laptop will never have the correct cpu value in BI. As the clock keeps changing speed. So setting the number in BI a waste of time. On a desktop CPU may change when it jumps to Turbo mode if available. CPU is a guide, it is not accurate on modern cpus.
CPU usage measurement is certainly complex and sometimes fails hard like in the OP's laptop, but a blanket statement like "A laptop will never have the correct cpu value in BI" is just not true ;)

Desktop CPUs can also underclock themselves when idle or when at a thermal limit. Modern CPUs can even run each core at a different frequency based on its individual load, temperature, and performance characteristics. It is basically impossible to keep track of what my CPU is doing.

1597353118494.png