CPU Usage with GUI on

AdySan

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I work from my home office in the basement, and one of the main use cases I had in mind for the BI Server was to connect a massive 4K TV to it and use it as a live monitor. But spending some time with BI today I've realized that even with my fancy new i7-8700, the CPU usage hits 60-70%, when the GUI is on. I only have 5 cameras as of now and all are set to direct to disc.

So the questions I have are
- Is this expected behavior? CPU usage with GUI minimized is 12-13%, and with GUI showing all cameras its 60-70%, and the fans spin up..which is the annoying part.
- I also have a rather stupid Dahua NVR, which I was gonna either keep as a backup NVR or completely ditch, since I couldn't get any motion detection stuff to work correctly. Should I rather use that as a Live View monitor? It does not seem to break sweat with or without a monitor connected.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I posted here after trying every single tweak mentioned in the wiki.
you have not posted enough info...what is your fps? what cameras are you using? are you simultaniously logged into this pc remotely using teamviewer or similar?

AdySan

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
you have not posted enough info...what is your fps? what cameras are you using? are you simultaniously logged into this pc remotely using teamviewer or similar?
Cameras are 4-6MP, one 8MP camera. I am running at 15 FPS as suggested. No remote login. I see that cpu usage goes up when I login via the iOS app, but that’s understandable. I’m just try to understand, is this expected steady state performance. And can there be such a big difference with GUI on and off.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Cameras are 4-6MP, one 8MP camera. I am running at 15 FPS as suggested. No remote login. I see that cpu usage goes up when I login via the iOS app, but that’s understandable. I’m just try to understand, is this expected steady state performance. And can there be such a big difference with GUI on and off.
That is not normal...the only thing i can think of is the 4k monitor which i have seen take lots of cpu power...try changing the output to 1080p.
Are you running a licensed version or the demo?

AdySan

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That is not normal...the only thing i can think of is the 4k monitor which i have seen take lots of cpu power...try changing the output to 1080p.
Are you running a licensed version or the demo?
I don’t have a 4K monitor yet, just a 2K for now. It is the licensed version. I noticed after a Windows update overnight, it has settled down to 35% CPU usage. Will monitor more.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I don’t have a 4K monitor yet, just a 2K for now. It is the licensed version. I noticed after a Windows update overnight, it has settled down to 35% CPU usage. Will monitor more.
double check that each camera is using direct to disk and all cameras have hardware acceleration enabled...are you using h.264 or 265.

AdySan

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
double check that each camera is using direct to disk and all cameras have hardware acceleration enabled...are you using h.264 or 265.
H.264 and yes the hardware acceleration is set to Intel. I do see that the GPU has some activity.

AdySan

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Happy to report that now even with the GUI on, CPU usage is stable between 20-30%, best of all, the fan doesn't come on!

AdySan

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Windows probably had some bad drivers out of the box. After windows updates thing seem very stable.

MacFun

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What version of Windows are you using and what fancy i7 do you have? New or used?

Btw: I like the idea of monitoring a few cams on a regular basis on a 55” 1080p display and I might want more than one device to see these cams. I’ve not purchased a physical PC in my life being a Mac guy I’ve always virtualized. Yet, now I’m doing some research to help select an appropriate BI rig.

Thanks,

Robert

AdySan

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What version of Windows are you using and what fancy i7 do you have? New or used?

Btw: I like the idea of monitoring a few cams on a regular basis on a 55” 1080p display and I might want more than one device to see these cams. I’ve not purchased a physical PC in my life being a Mac guy I’ve always virtualized. Yet, now I’m doing some research to help select an appropriate BI rig.

Thanks,

Robert
I got an HP Slim Desktop, with an i7 8700. Using Windows 10. Am a Mac guy here too, and BI is pretty high on the list of ugly windows softwares, but its worth it!