CPU Utilization at 100% on i9 9900

bmachia

n3wb
Reaction score
I apologize for asking the same question, right up front.

Can someone point me to a link that has different settings I can make in BlueIris to lower CPU usage?
About a month ago, BlueIris updated and now my 6 cameras max out my CPU utilization 100%.
Has anyone else recently had this problem?
I do not know what changed.

I’ve run BlueIris for years monitoring 6 cameras, all Amcrest IP2M-853’s at the moment. Also, I built a new PC for my cameras about 8 months ago. Some of the specification include i9 9900, 32GB, 1TB M2, there are others and ask if you wish, I’d be happy to fill you in. This is quite a system except for the CPU usage described above. It has run at 30% CPU utilization until a month ago.

Things I’ve tried,
If I disable 3 of the camera’s CPU drops to about 30%. It does not matter which I select, I initially thought I might have bad camera.
Shut BI down, deleted all files in \db and restarted. Problem still there.

Just for fun, I turned on the BlueIris Tools, CPU Watchdog and set the Reboot percentage at 50%. BlueIris Restarts itself about every minute.

Hoping someone will start a discussion with me. I am brand new here, I think this is my second post.

Thanks for your time
Bill

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
:welcome:

My, what passes for normal for me, hello -

Welcome to the land of video surveillance lunatics. Be sure to check the WiKI, in the blue bar at the top of the page. Study, carefully on a real computer, the Cliff Notes in there. There is also a lot of other good information for sizing a system and keeping it safe on the internet, foil the "phone home" features. Read, study plan, ask questions, revise plans and test before spending money. It'll save you time, frustration and money in the end. There's tons of reviews here on cameras, and NVRs to help confuse you even more when trying to make a decision.

Look in the Wiki, at the top of the page fourth from the left. Tons of information on optimizing BI and CPU utilization.

Use direct to disk for all recording.
In the camera configs, cameras themselves not in BI, limit frame rates to 15FPS and set bit rates to VBR at no more than needed for a decent video, say 4096 or lower, if possible.
Use Intel hardware acceleration but be aware that it is sensitive to the specific video driver and hardware involved.
Disable overlays in BI and use them from the cameras, themselves.

I run eleven cameras with a total of about 400MPs on an i7-6700K and utilization is at about 20%.

concord

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Also, check your GPU utilization. There was discussion of the graphics driver causing issues, as mention in the Page list

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I apologize for asking the same question, right up front.

Can someone point me to a link that has different settings I can make in BlueIris to lower CPU usage?
About a month ago, BlueIris updated and now my 6 cameras max out my CPU utilization 100%.
Has anyone else recently had this problem?
I do not know what changed.

I’ve run BlueIris for years monitoring 6 cameras, all Amcrest IP2M-853’s at the moment. Also, I built a new PC for my cameras about 8 months ago. Some of the specification include i9 9900, 32GB, 1TB M2, there are others and ask if you wish, I’d be happy to fill you in. This is quite a system except for the CPU usage described above. It has run at 30% CPU utilization until a month ago.

Things I’ve tried,
If I disable 3 of the camera’s CPU drops to about 30%. It does not matter which I select, I initially thought I might have bad camera.
Shut BI down, deleted all files in \db and restarted. Problem still there.

Just for fun, I turned on the BlueIris Tools, CPU Watchdog and set the Reboot percentage at 50%. BlueIris Restarts itself about every minute.

Hoping someone will start a discussion with me. I am brand new here, I think this is my second post.

Thanks for your time
Bill
Make certain you have excluded all BI folders from Windows Defender, or any other AntiVirus you may have on the machine.
Read this: Optimizing Blue Iris's CPU Usage | IP Cam Talk

jmhmcse

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
what else, if anything, is running on the Blue Iris system?

as you see, the more information/detail you provide about your setup/configuration the more accurate and helpful we can be in responding.

please do read and follow the wiki hints/tricks as most of the things recommended will already be identified there. it's the =unusual= things that sometime bite us when we least expect it that someone has probably seen before and provide the magic fix.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
1) Make sure you have the correct video driver for the I9. Windows update some times mess this pu.
2) is this computer headless ?
3) when at 100% are you running UI3, if so how many copies ?
4) when at 100% are you running the console?
------------------------------------------

Please provide a screen shots. full frame (use windows 10 snip & sketch tool)
1) windows task manager process tab sorted by memory (most at the top),
2) Blue Iris Setting about tab
3) Blue iris status clip storage
4) blue Iris status cameras

bmachia

n3wb
Reaction score
THANK YOU to all! What a response. I was not expecting that, I actually thought someone with criticize me for asking a questions that had been asked before. BUT, you guys didn't do that. What a group! :)

[B]sebastiantombs[/B] I started at 11:00 AM with your settings for both BI and Cameras. It dropped my CPU utilization from 100% (i.e. Pegged) to 28-35%. I kept BlueIris Tools running CPU Watchdog with a reboot at 50% utilization. BI has restarted itself 2 times since 11:00 AM, so I am making progress.

I'll try everyone else's suggestions a little later this evening.

Again, THANKS TO ALL

Bill

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Based on your results so far, I'd suspect the video driver/ Search IPCT and you'll find numerous threads discussing it and listing available drivers. Windoohs 10 has a habit of "upgrading" things like that automagically and, in the WiKi you'll find instructions on stopping that in the future.