cpu utilization of BI process rises up to 100%

LTek

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
use google you will see that other software has this issue too...it is specific to h.264 decoding...its just that most packages dont offer quicksync h.264 decoding
if you think its BI, why would you fail to email support and ask?

If this is an Intel bug, the BI devs should post this publicly as most people would be installing the latest drivers (manually or automatically) and should be warned of this - without needing to know this forums. AND, the devs should have been working with Intel to get this resolved. Having this issue for over a year there is really no excuse other than lack of effort. Intel is VERY responsive to devs that show them bugs - I have been on teams where we showed them bugs and they were fixed in days or weeks.

I will email support too. I did many searches with terms like... intel quicksync h.264 high cpu bug encoding decoding- No searches result in any posts stating this is an Intel bug... and I've found no posts at all about high CPU with quicksync other than on his forum. Where is this documented?

I'd have thought app like Plex, MCEBuddy and such would be reporting this too. I've not found anything.

Last edited:

Jinx

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Mine has just started crashing in a similar fashion every couple of days.

I checked my driver when I saw this thread originally but all was fine on 21.20.16.4574

I have checked and this driver has not been updated but my PC is now affected.

I cannot get 4664 linked to above to install but requesting an update has now given me 4749 so fingers crossed.

It seems very strange nothing has changed but the memory/CPU usage issue has cropped up.

My PC is a i5-6500 win10pro HP prodesk

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
Just went through this process. Had to upgrade to the Microsoft basic graphics driver to get the 4664 installer to work. Finger crossed, so far so good.

Jinx

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Well as I think most of you know 4749 doesn’t work, or at least not in my case.

It has however changed the problem. 4574 would max out RAM, 4749 takes RAM to around 80% but then causes CPU usage to max out afterwards.

I need to get 4664 installed but that will have to wait for now.

ypl

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Since it is a memory leak, then usually after memory is consumed then garbage collector or different "memory cleaning mechanism" starts/tries to free up some memory resources rapidly which in turns results with high cpu utilization. Garbage collection is cpu intesive procedure, the normal way to find some memory related issues is to make a so-called memory dump of a suspected process and then analyze it with WinDbg.

Just for the record, since I locked the intel driver with version 4664, I do not have any memory or cpu related issues. I make BI updates on a regular basis, all works fine. Someone should kick intel reps asses here to read about the problem, then proper diagnosis and finally fix within new drivers.

Last edited:

ypl

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@Always Learning, I understand your frustration, but I have a software development team of around 40 people here in Warsaw and I can confirm what fenderman said - with one or two experienced and qualified people you can do big projects and with a team of 4-5 developers you can do huge projects. It is also completely normal in nowadays IT world that you make use of different available frameworks instead of reinventing the wheel which I undestand Intel QuickSync is. It would be probably daunting task for Ken to refactor the project now to cooperate with Nvidia/ATI/Ryzen in the same maner. I do not understand why Intel is not fixing the issue, probably I can only assume that the reason of this bug might be some serious architecture problems/flaws a bit like in case of Meltdown/Spectre. Believe me or not, if I have a critical bug on production which I can fix, I will definitelly fix it, instead of listening to client moanings. Intel would do the same, I doubt they are not aware of the issue.

cahiatt

n3wb
Reaction score
I have the 7700k (7th gen) on Win Server 2012r2 and can't get any of these preferred drivers installed. It shows the HD 630 chipset in device manager and all the drivers mentioned don't even list the 630 when tying to manually install it.

ypl

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello everybody, I had a tought time recently with my 3rd kid who was born in April this year, so I haven't been present here very often. Recently I discovered that my Windows 10 updated itself to a newer version (1803 OS Build 17134.345) and the driver version 4664 was incompatible with that Windows build so I started getting 100% cpu utilization again. Before reinstalling Windows 10 I decided to give it a try and I decided to upgrade intel drivers to latest revision - in my case it's:
Driver Date: 01.10.2018
Driver Version: 25.20.100.6326

I can happily report I have not suffered 100% cpu problem anymore!!! I am testing it since 3 weeks and it seems the problem is gone! Can anyone else test it and confirm that this driver version is ok? I can also imagine that the problem is related to Windows version so my driver version might not work with other Windows 10 builds. I can also report that I am on the most recent version of BlueIris.

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
I just purchased a used Dell on eBay with a i7-6700 and what worked for me was downloading the zip file of 4664, then running the setup from there. The exe file for 4664 was giving me the "The driver being used is not validated for this computer" error but the setup file in the zip worked fine. New system running steady under 20% now on BI 4.8.4.7.

https://downloadmirror.intel.com/26772/eng/win64_154518.4664.zip

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I just purchased a used Dell on eBay with a i7-6700 and what worked for me was downloading the zip file of 4664, then running the setup from there. The exe file for 4664 was giving me the "The driver being used is not validated for this computer" error but the setup file in the zip worked fine. New system running steady under 20% now on BI 4.8.4.7.

That usual occurs when using the oem install vs a clean windows media installation.

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
That usual occurs when using the oem install vs a clean windows media installation.
Thanks, I saw you mention that and was about to do a wipe since I got lazy and didn't, but figured I would try the zip and it worked :headbang:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks, I saw you mention that and was about to do a wipe since I got lazy and didn't, but figured I would try the zip and it worked :headbang:
Do the wipe anyway, well worth it.

Netwalker

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

I just ran into this same error with a refurb HP 6700.

An OEM clean install is probably the best solution, but on this install it wasn't a good option. (Too Late, too far away).

In case someone else runs into this issue, I thought I'd further expand on Mike's post. You'll need to download the .zip file, extract it somewhere (hint - make a new folder when you unzip as it spews its contents into multiple subfolders), then install the driver manually via windows device manager, using local files and select have disk.

The automatic installer won't run in the .zip or .exe downloads.

Reaction score
Like a lot of you, my i5-6600 setup suffered 99% ram usage after a few days running blue iris on the microsoft updated driver (i dont remember which version number)
so i downgraded the driver and installed the 4664 driver. Now ram usage is creeping up to 78% after a few days.

taskmanager.JPGdriver4664.JPGBI-hwacc.JPG

hardware acceleration on, windows version 1903 build 18362.418
installed memory is 8gb dual channel, currently recording 3 2345 hik ipc.
blue iris version 5.0.4.8
i dont think 78% ram usage is normal, is it? especially because after a reboot the ram idles at 40% solid.

are there more known stable drivers available or am i missing something?

regards,

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Any % RAM usage can be normal depending on how much RAM you have and what you do on the PC. What matters is Blue Iris's memory usage rising over time. I suggest you look at it on the Details tab of Task Manager, sort by memory usage, and screenshot it. Then come back every few hours and screenshot it again and compare. If BlueIris.exe is using significantly more memory each time, that is a good sign of a memory leak.

You could also try the newest drivers instead of the 4664 version. Download Intel® Graphics - Windows® 10 DCH Drivers

Phil Indeblanc

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The driver mentioned here on the Intel site says it supports up to UHD P580. My onboard intel Graphic chip is 630.(BlueIris 5.07?..latest)
CPU hits 100% in a couple MINUTES or so.
I THINK I have HWA OFF, but not sure if there is more than one location for it...I see it in Settings, CAMERAS tab, and 4th option "Hardware accelerated decode (restart). "No" is what I have.
I will report back on how HWAccel does when on with "Intel" option selected.
**So far not hit 100% within minutes, but around 3-5% with 5-8GB Ram use so far(its slowly climbing, then dropping), yet a cameras are going from online state to the OFFline state...Hmmmmm!?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Any % RAM usage can be normal depending on how much RAM you have and what you do on the PC. What matters is Blue Iris's memory usage rising over time. I suggest you look at it on the Details tab of Task Manager, sort by memory usage, and screenshot it. Then come back every few hours and screenshot it again and compare. If BlueIris.exe is using significantly more memory each time, that is a good sign of a memory leak.

You could also try the newest drivers instead of the 4664 version. Download Intel® Graphics - Windows® 10 DCH Drivers
Thank you for your reply. In my case the amount of ram used by blueiris.exe was normal - around 1100mb
In fact, all other processes where using normal ram, yet my ram usage was increasing after 2~3 days. (Ram didn't add up)
A reboot fixed it every time though, so I just set my system to do a daily reboot now and no problems since.

Regards,

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply. In my case the amount of ram used by blueiris.exe was normal - around 1100mb
In fact, all other processes where using normal ram, yet my ram usage was increasing after 2~3 days. (Ram didn't add up)
A reboot fixed it every time though, so I just set my system to do a daily reboot now and no problems since.

Regards,
that is simply a band aid for using a bad driver with a leak.

Phil Indeblanc

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yes, cant have my system rebooting. that's unacceptable.

I have yet to revolve the issue as my system is a DELL, and the drivers I tried from Intel are not allowed to install. It reverts me back to DELL as a MFG to download from. No clue what driver I should try from there, yet its not even that easy, as DELL just has you connect and while connected, it decides the driver.