Crummy Night Vision W/O IR

Illya_Kareoke

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm trying to optimize night vision without IR on my LTS. Any idea what I'm doing wrong? Thanks
Snip 11-27.JPGCam3.20151127_000000_1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
In my opinion you need to add more light: either IR light or flood lights. Why are don't you want to use the camera's IR light?

Illya_Kareoke

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Q2U,
When I run IR, the street scene is better but I'm interested in activity near the vehicles too which is covered by security lights. The security lights wash out faces when triggered unless I roll down the brightness. I never could achieve a satisfactory balance using both. I have tried different bulbs and aiming away form the cars always with so-so results.

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
To use colour at night at that level you will fail every time, looks like a 2.8 lens so faces at that distance are never going to be good at night.
You need to light the area a lot better, if you can't do that switch to IR and night mode.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Maybe if you post screen shots of your current settings in Configuration > Image > Display Settings someone may be able to make a suggestion which will help you. What lens does this camera have? "-28" means a 2.8mm correct? Alternatively, you simply may need to purchase a camera with better night-vision capabilities Iilya.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
I have similar new 4MP Hik dome with 2.8mm which is covering driveway with street light and my flood lights as well and I couldn't get satisfactory results with or without IRs. It's just wrong cam for this type of application, although daylight picture is great.

Illya_Kareoke

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have similar new 4MP Hik dome with 2.8mm which is covering driveway with street light and my flood lights as well and I couldn't get satisfactory results with or without IRs. It's just wrong cam for this type of application, although daylight picture is great.
Unfortunately, I think I bought too much camera for this application. Maybe Santa will set me up with a 2MP that will work better.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Have you tried leaving the lights on all the time instead of motion?

Illya_Kareoke

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Fenderman, I'm trying to spare my neighbors from full time on. Plus, I like the idea of the lights coming on if someone sneaks up to my cars. I don't think my current security light has a day/night mode or I might consider that as a solution with the right bulbs.

dalepa

Reaction score
I bought these LED Mr Beams Networked Lights the other day. They run on 4D batteries and are all networked together (when one comes on they all come on). Awesome solution for motion lighting. There's a non-network version which is less expensive, but I really like the networked version.

390-close-forweb_1.jpg

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Illya_Kareoke

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
dalepa, I might try and find an IR version of that in combination with low intensity white lite in the security lights. Just to let them know that they have been detected. Thanks