Current Known Problems?

davej

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
As a newbie who is finally beginning to assemble a test system I am curious about the current set of known problems. Since I have been reading this forum off-and-on for perhaps a year I am a little confused about the current known issues and advice. Let me just list a few questions...

-- Bullets vs. domes vs. turrets? Some time ago there were complaints about "IR bleed" with the domes and the bullets were said to be safer choices, however recently comments about domes do not mention the bleed. Was this a firmware or dome-material fix or does it still exist as a problem?

-- Chinese vs "Multi-language" vs "USA English" language versions? What are the cost-effective choices and the related problems?

-- Firmware versions with problems? What particular versions are known to be trouble? Or is it a question of trouble only when matching up particular camera firmware with other particular software or hardware?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
IR bleed is only a possible issue with dome..not turrets...I would chose a 2332 turret over a buttet...they are more resistant to vandal movement and have slightly better ir than the standard 2032 bullet..
As far as Chinese vs usa...it depends on how much hassle you want-harder firmware updates, no warranty..the price difference is about 50-70 each....
I wouldn't worry about firmware versions...how are you going to record these?

davej

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Oh, I see... a turret is like a dome style -- but without the dome. I've revised my original question. Thanks!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh, I see... a turret is like a dome style -- but without the dome.
Yes, it has an EXIR led which is a bit better then the bunch of leds on the bullet...also it is available in a 2.8mm lens if you need wide angle..the bullet is not..

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I expect to need 5 cameras, and will probably go with Chinese for the cost-savings. I am undecided on NVR.
If you buy hikvision then get a hikvision NVR if you are going with a standalone NVR....if you are using a pc..then consider the hikvisions free ivms or blue iris...

davej

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm a little amazed that this thread has gone nowhere. So apparently are no known problems???

There is no buglist of known problems?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
There is no list...you need to look through the threads on the camera you are considering.

DaveP

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So apparently are no known problems???
As far as I'm aware.. no

A lot of 'issues / problems' that are reported and asked about, can be avoided by RTFM.. however in defence of of peeps, the manual is a bit of a steep curve and could (maybe) of been written differently.

A prior knowledge of related things helps :cool:

Reaction score
I'm a little amazed that this thread has gone nowhere. So apparently are no known problems???

There is no buglist of known problems?
Not sure who to point the finger at, but anytime my Synology NAS reboots it erases the motion settings on my cameras. If a camera resets or loses connection, the settings also reset. Very frustrating.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
If you are using the built-in camera model in Surveillance Station (ie not ONVIF or Generic RTSP or another similar camera) you could raise a HelpDesk ticket with Synology. That way, the problem will be highlighted to them and maybe fixed.

fmflex

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Not sure who to point the finger at, but anytime my Synology NAS reboots it erases the motion settings on my cameras. If a camera resets or loses connection, the settings also reset. Very frustrating.
Happens to me as well. I think it has to do with Surveillance Station polling the cams which defaults the motion detection settings. Previously it hasn't too bad to manage with just 3 cams and having to reload configs but it's going to become a nightmare with 11 cams so if there's a possibility of it being resolved then I'm all for it.
If you are using the built-in camera model in Surveillance Station (ie not ONVIF or Generic RTSP or another similar camera) you could raise a HelpDesk ticket with Synology. That way, the problem will be highlighted to them and maybe fixed.
Neve thought of that. I will see if it is still an issue in 3-4 months when I'm back in my home again and log a support ticket accordingly. Thanks for the heads up.

Reaction score
I am. I contacted support and they suggested I verify I'm up to date on all firmwares/software versions. I was out on two of the cameras and I'm up on the Surveillance Station version. I'm upgrading the cams and we'll see.

Edit: Still resetting the cameras. I am using the build in config - probably due to overwriting the settings when the NAS boots the surveillance program.

Last edited by a moderator:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
The NAS has been given control of the cameras, for the settings that you are able to choose in Surveillance Station, such as video resolution, frame rate, quality. It would be normal for those settings that if you set them differently in the camera, the NAS would overwrite them at startup and periodically. But if Surveillance Station is changing other settings that are not available for selection within its camera configuration screens, that is a flaw in the design of the in-built model.
You should get back to Synology and say that you've updated the firmware to current (that's always a quick easy response from a HelpDesk!) and the problem persists. They should be able to replicate it if they go check.

LittleBrother

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Even on the latest firmware these cameras can be a pain to setup recording to a NAS if you're not using DVR hardware or a dedicated software running on a PC. they can absolutely do it, but it's not necessarily easy to setup, as the settings need to be very precise and the cameras are finicky if you get off the tight path of steps. There should be enough threads to get through it, though, as a number of us have documented in detail how to do it, whether a NAS or SMB/CIFS (windows share).

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
The Surveillance Station on a Synology NAS, and a QNAP NAS, is their version of NVR software, just runs under the umbrella of the general-purpose NAS environment.
In theory, for a supported camera, you just pick the brand and model from the drop-down lists and choose some of the settings such as resolution, fps, quality.
How well it works depends on how well the particular camera model has been implemented. Not all are perfect, and can be messed up by software and firmware updates on either side.

Reaction score
The NAS has been given control of the cameras, for the settings that you are able to choose in Surveillance Station, such as video resolution, frame rate, quality. It would be normal for those settings that if you set them differently in the camera, the NAS would overwrite them at startup and periodically. But if Surveillance Station is changing other settings that are not available for selection within its camera configuration screens, that is a flaw in the design of the in-built model.
You should get back to Synology and say that you've updated the firmware to current (that's always a quick easy response from a HelpDesk!) and the problem persists. They should be able to replicate it if they go check.
That's how I interpret the process - it won't properly interface with the camera using a non-admin login. I've pulled logs and sent to HelpDesk.

I think it's the NAS overwriting the setting in the camera. I think I'll probably upgrade to a newer/faster box (My 211j is getting pushed with four cameras) and do motion detection on the server.