Current Logitech Alert user, Seeking Alternatives

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have run laptops with blue iris for year...that is not an issue..the problem is that its under-powered unless you will only run a few 720p cameras.

Zxel

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The laptop would probably handle the cameras if they were low resolution and doing no motion detection, i.e they were recording 24/7 (which is not a problem for a laptop - they can run 24/7 as well as any desktop). Motion detection done by BI will be what uses the most CPU. If all you want motion detection for is alerts, many cameras can do this internally themselves and don't need BI (or any NVR software) to send you an email. Recording 24/7 will use the least CPU and memory resources, so unless you want recordings that go back months, recording 24/7 will be the easiest and least computer intensive.

You really should just download the FREE trial of BI at the link given in my previous post and try it out - then you'll KNOW now instead of guessing.

For video clip storage an inexpensive (around $100) external USB3 2 to 4 TB hard drive will give you plenty of time for practical use at home - highly recommended.

I have no practical experience with the D-Link camera line, however, why do you want to get a camera with the same resolution as your Logitechs? You might as well keep them if you aren't interested in 1080p + video resolution. I would think you would be looking for at least 2-3MP cameras (anything that can do at least 1080p at 30 fps). There are several cameras like the D-link you mentioned that can do better.

If you sell your 6 Logitechs you'll have about $2,000+ for your budget - this will buy you a VERY nice system - even professionally installed, and with that budget I would seriously consider getting a full blown 8 or 16 channel NVR, it would be MUCH easier to set up and use than a PC with BI (or any NVR software for that matter). Since ease of use is one of your primary goals I think a real NVR would be a better fit.

There are several professional security camera installers on this board and I'm sure any of them would be able to supply you with a "plug and play" sytem on your budget. I would also weigh the advise given by @fenderman and the handlful of other professional here on the board on camera choice - he is one of the more experienced members on this board with cameras and NVR's and has practical experience, which is very helpful - this is why I've been asking him about camera choices (in several threads on the board). :cool:

Reaction score
Ya i looked at some Youtube videos on Blue Iris and the software looks a bit intimidating since i don't have much networking knowledge. I'll have to try the free trial version on one of my Logitechs to see how it works out. I'm sure i can get a decent system running with the help of you guys, but I am really time constrained and would prefer i can find something i can just plug-in, make a few minor adjustments and BOOM its working... I know there's several security camera companies in my area, but they all seem to do primarily CCTV which i don't want to do.

Anybody know of any IP cam installers in Los Angeles area?

Zxel

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Looking forward to the side by side...
You will never have a scenario like logitech again at least not with ip cameras...its a special case...Even with the logitechs, it should not be happening, folks just dont want to mess with what they know works for them, but it makes no sense...
OK, after lots of back and forth I've decided to go with your recommendation, the Hikvision DS-2CD2632F-IS as the camera to replace the Logitechs, I'll be ordering one here soon and then we can do a side by side comparison with the Logitech 750e I still have.

The things I like are:

1. Onboard SD storage (64Gb supported) that can be used for motion detection recording internal to the camera (so BI doesn't have to do it) for theft protection of the NVR.
2. Audio in/out and alarm inputs, did my research - attaching a mic and speaker wont be an issue - thanks to the threads on this subject already on the board.
3. Adjustable varifocal lens (2.8mm to 12mm) which will allow me to dial in the camera for its specific location.
4. Solid mounting adjustments that prevent the camera from being easily moved (thank you @networkcameracritic - saw that in your review).

Although I plan on running the cameras at 1920 x 1080 @30fps I am finding places that sell this camera and claim it can do [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2048 × 1536 @30fps[/FONT], while most places state 15fps at that resolution, and what is even more bizarre is Hikvision's website lists the specs at 20fps. If I could do 3MP @ 30fps that would be VERY nice - but I doubt it can - just very confusing.

The pricing also varies by more than $120 depending on where you get it, so while I would like the English version of the camera, for $120 apiece I can learn Chinese. :cool:

I'm still looking for the vendor to use - there are many who sell this camera - any recomendations that can provide it for around $200 (the Chinese sellers are well under $200) I'm willing to check out.

So when I receive it I'll do a side by side with the Logitech and we'll see about the FOV (FYI Hikvison docs state the diagonal for this camera at 2.8mm is 105 degrees). :D

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@Zxel, I dont see anywhere where hikvision states the angle of view is diagonal...all their other cams use the horizontal as the angle rating...Varifocal might be different but i doubt it..you need to compare apples to apples.
Just to give you an example..I installed this camera http://www.dahuasecurity.com/products/ipc-hdw4300c-620.html with a 2.8mm lens, which dahua specs at 90 degrees horizontal view...the image was almost exactly as wide as the hikvision 2032 (actually a swann version 4mm) running in 2mp mode. I have no doubt that a 2.8 mm hikvision will be much wider...
The camera do 20fps at 3mp and 30 at 2mp.
If you are running in 2mp mode, LTS has this camera in 2mp version, which will likely have better night and low light vision than the 3mp for 269....it does include the junction box as well.

Zxel

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@Zxel, I dont see anywhere where hikvision states the angle of view is diagonal
It was on the specification sheet from Hikvisions website link in my last post:

If that is horizontal it should be REALLY close to the Logitechs 130 - we'll see.

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@Zxel, Its says nothing about diagonal..what im saying is that hikvision uses the HORIZONTAL FOV not the diagonal.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zxel

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@Zxel, Its says nothing about diagonal..what im saying is that hikvision uses the HORIZONTAL FOV not the diagonal.
Ya, I noticed that afterwards - edited the post - but not fast enough. :eek:

It is interesting that @networkcameracritic states in his review that the camera does 3MP at 15fps and so does Nelly's - what's up with that?

I did look at the 2MP version over at LTS (nice they include the junction box), however, the price is more than the cost of the 2632 and etreeme low light performance is not required for me (I have IR's already in place were needed) and the lure of 3MP is strong. I may even be able to avoid IR altogether on most of the cameras - fairly well lit around the house - thanks for the recommendation. :cool:

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fenderman
Looking forward to the side by side...
You will never have a scenario like logitech again at least not with ip cameras...its a special case...Even with the logitechs, it should not be happening, folks just dont want to mess with what they know works for them, but it makes no sense...

I'm guessing since all the video/audio data is streaming thru Logitech's servers is the reason why its so easy to setup a lot of the cool functionality with ease compared to setting it up youself with Blueiris?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ya, I noticed that afterwards - edited the post - but not fast enough. :eek:

It is interesting that @networkcameracritic states in his review that the camera does 3MP at 15fps and so does Nelly's - what's up with that?

I did look at the 2MP version over at LTS (nice they include the junction box), however, the price is more than the cost of the 2632 and etreeme low light performance is not required for me (I have IR's already in place were needed) and the lure of 3MP is strong. I may even be able to avoid IR altogether on most of the cameras - fairly well lit around the house - thanks for the recommendation. :cool:
You are correct about the 15fps, thats what the specs say...i could have sworn that it was 20fps at 3mp..maybe thats dahua...gonna login to some cams and check...

Zxel

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm guessing since all the video/audio data is streaming thru Logitech's servers is the reason why its so easy to setup a lot of the cool functionality with ease compared to setting it up youself with Blueiris?
The cloud service that Logitech provides used to be unique to the Logitechs - not anymore - most IP cameras can use third party cloud services (and they're inexpensive).

The ease of setup comes mostly from their Alert software and the camera firmware - it is customized for the Logitech cameras only. Many of the Logitech's configuration options are hidden from users - they keep users hands off of them. Most IP cameras out there have a wide variety of configuration options available to the user in current OEM camera software/firmware - this is great for users who want that flexibility at the cost of being a little overwhelming for the general public.

There is always a helping hand here for camera setups though so I wouldn't let that deter me - setup is a one time thing. :cool:

Zxel

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
i could have sworn that it was 20fps at 3mp..maybe thats dahua...gonna login to some cams and check...
It does say 20fps on the Hikvisions website (check out that spec sheet again) - so you aren't going crazy - but what it really does I have no idea, a bit confusing.

Zxel

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yuppers, however, this (http://www.hikvision.com/UploadFile/image/2014022014553652181.pdf) and this (http://www2.ltsecurityinc.com/en_us/product/1084.html) show it as 20 - go figure. You can also find numerous links on aliexpress selling them with specs showing 20fps - even 30fps.

I'm not expecting more than 15fps, but it is very bizarre a simple spec like that could be so wrong in so many places. :)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I believe it will allow for 20...maybe someone who can login to a hik can confirm...

Zxel

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Do you think it could have something to do with the newer firmware? Firmware normally wont change something like that (because it's a hardware spec), however, if they somehow made it more efficient perhaps... just duno - but I will when I get one. :cool:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I doubt it because i believe it was 20fps since inception...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@Zxel, if you look at networkcameracritic's review that you linked to, he has an image where the camera is set to 3mp and 20fps...

Last edited by a moderator:

Zxel

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@Zxel, if you look at networkcameracritic's review that you linked to, he has an image where the camera is set to 3mp and 20fps...
LOL, I was re-reading it at the time you posted this, I see the pic you're talking about, also noticed it's at the highest bitrate - hehe. :)

@networkcameracritic should come in here an 'xplain hiself, because it's listed at the top of his review as 15fps. :rolleyes:

Zxel

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I doubt it because i believe it was 20fps since inception...
I went over to review made by @networkcameracritic and asked him for an explanation , his response was very interesting. If true the firmware can make a difference in the fps, so I wonder if the peeps advertising it at 30fps have hacked the firmware to get the 30 fps - again very confusing. :wondering:

I wonder if I should purchase it from a vendor that advertises 3MP @ 30fps and see (after asking them directly if it does 3MP @ 30fps - that is if they say it does), whatcha think?