Customized Members Build

CountZero

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I used TP-LInk for a while before I upgraded to a managed system and they worked just fine. You just have to make sure you know what you are looking at. Some of the 8port switches are 4 POE and 4 regular ports. (Which is fine if you only have 4 cams. Less useful if you are trying to power more than that.)

Also make sure you plan for not only future cameras, but also any other expansion you may want to do in the house. As an example, I'm running 2 wireless access points that are powered over POE, so I need POE ports for them as well. Unrelated to cameras, but I needed to plan for them. I have a 16 port POE switch in the network closet, and two 8 port switches in the back closet and out in the extra building.

Saltster

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
OK, They say a photo is worth a thousand words...

I just found these diagrams which show different ways to use an external PoE Switch.
it also stated that the External PoE adds power and refreshed signal

Should I get a Managed External PoE or unManaged?

With NVR with PoE

NVR Without PoE

upload_2017-12-10_19-32-45.png

Basic NVR with external PoE

upload_2017-12-10_19-32-51.png

Saltster

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I used TP-LInk for a while before I upgraded to a managed system and they worked just fine. You just have to make sure you know what you are looking at. Some of the 8port switches are 4 POE and 4 regular ports. (Which is fine if you only have 4 cams. Less useful if you are trying to power more than that.)

Also make sure you plan for not only future cameras, but also any other expansion you may want to do in the house. As an example, I'm running 2 wireless access points that are powered over POE, so I need POE ports for them as well. Unrelated to cameras, but I needed to plan for them. I have a 16 port POE switch in the network closet, and two 8 port switches in the back closet and out in the extra building.
Thanks, Yes I need 16 ports for Cameras...
I take it that the managed systems are better for Cameras?

CountZero

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Again, it depends on what you want to do and what your budget is. A Managed POE switch will let you create a VLAN (Virtual LAN) that you can use to isolate your cameras from the rest of your network. (And also keep them from talking to the internet as well.) Managed switched are quite a bit more expensive than unmanaged switches though. There isn't really space here to go into all the different ways you could network your cams and the rest of your stuff. And I'm not a network expert either. I know enough to get by and usually get myself out of trouble.

Just checking Amazon quickly you can get an 8 port 130W POE Switch with power on all 8 ports up to 130W total for around $85. An 8 port managed switch with 150W of power to all 8 ports will set you back around $200. And some managed switched require an extra controller. The managed switches that I'm using do require a controller, which adds another $80 to the total.

8 ports unmanaged: $85
8 ports managed with controller: $280

For reference, the 16 port managed POE switch that I'm running is currently $285. Now I'm running all of my cams off of the two 8 port switches that I have, so to duplicate my setup, you'd be looking at $480 for 2 switches and the controller. Or $365 for the 16 Port and the controller. And then you have to learn how to make everything work. And that doesn't include any camera, the NVR or computer, hard drives, cabling, a monitor, and assorted little parts. :) Most folks will tell you that a managed switch is overkill for a home install. And if you are just doing cameras, then I'd tend to agree with them. If you are putting in a network and connecting everything in your house to it, then managed switches can be useful. But there is a learning curve if you aren't versed in networking already.

This is a basic overview of my network hardware. I'm running the entire home network off if it though. Ethernet jacks in almost every room. Two wireless access points. All the cameras. Everything with an Ethernet Jack or Wireless is connected to the network. :) Cameras are firewalled to protect them and the rest of the network, smart-home stuff is on its own separate VPN to keep it off the regular network, guests have their own separate network. Etc.

Network.JPG

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Again, it depends on what you want to do and what your budget is. A Managed POE switch will let you create a VLAN (Virtual LAN) that you can use to isolate your cameras from the rest of your network. (And also keep them from talking to the internet as well.) Managed switched are quite a bit more expensive than unmanaged switches though. There isn't really space here to go into all the different ways you could network your cams and the rest of your stuff. And I'm not a network expert either. I know enough to get by and usually get myself out of trouble.

Just checking Amazon quickly you can get an 8 port 130W POE Switch with power on all 8 ports up to 130W total for around $85. An 8 port managed switch with 150W of power to all 8 ports will set you back around $200. And some managed switched require an extra controller. The managed switches that I'm using do require a controller, which adds another $80 to the total.

For reference, the 16 port managed POE switch that I'm running is currently $285. Now I'm running all of my cams off of the two 8 port switches that I have, so to duplicate my setup, you'd be looking at $480 for 2 switches and the controller. Or $365 for the 16 Port and the controller. And then you have to learn how to make everything work. And that doesn't include any camera, the NVR or computer, hard drives, cabling, a monitor, and assorted little parts. :) Most folks will tell you that a managed switch is overkill for a home install. And if you are just doing cameras, then I'd tend to agree with them. If you are putting in a network and connecting everything in your house to it, then managed switches can be useful. But there is a learning curve if you aren't versed in networking already.

This is a basic overview of my network hardware. I'm running the entire home network off if it though. Ethernet jacks in almost every room. Two wireless access points. All the cameras. Everything with an Ethernet Jack or Wireless is connected to the network. :) Cameras are firewalled to protect them and the rest of the network, smart-home stuff is on its own separate VPN to keep it off the regular network, guests have their own separate network. Etc.

View attachment 24552
This is not correct...8 port managed switches can be had for 100 or less...https://www.amazon.com/8-Port-Gigabit-Managed-Fanless-GS1900-8HP/dp/B00GU1KULM/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1512961530&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=zyxel+poe&psc=1
Need more power? or an easier to use switch, (though 99.9 percent of applications will never need close to 70w on an 8 port switch) https://www.amazon.com/D-Link-Systems-10-Port-including-DGS-1210-10P/dp/B003KJTZYK/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1512961557&sr=1-5&keywords=dlink+poe
What in the world is a "controller"?
There are serious advantages to using managed switches that should not be overlooked.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The diagrams above an inefficient...when ever possible, the NVR/pc should be connected to the same switch as the cams, not to the router.

CountZero

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This is not correct...8 port managed switches can be had for 100 or less...
There are serious advantages to using managed switches that should not be overlooked.
I missed that switch in my quick amazon search this afternoon. :) Good to know. Thanks!

The switches and AP's that I'm using have a centralized management controller that can either be run on a local machine on the network, or on a stand alone controller device. The standalone controller is essentially a little computer that plugs directly into the network that allows secure local and remote management of the entire local network and any remote networks that its configured to manage.

https://smile.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Unifi-Cloud-Key-Control/dp/B017T2QB22

Its overkill for most home installs, but I'm able to use it to securely manage not only my home network, but also a whole bunch of business clients that I handle networking for.

I agree that managed switches have serious advantages. They also have a steeper learning curve to them as well.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I missed that switch in my quick amazon search this afternoon. :) Good to know. Thanks!

The switches and AP's that I'm using have a centralized management controller that can either be run on a local machine on the network, or on a stand alone controller device. The standalone controller is essentially a little computer that plugs directly into the network that allows secure local and remote management of the entire local network and any remote networks that its configured to manage.

https://smile.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Unifi-Cloud-Key-Control/dp/B017T2QB22

Its overkill for most home installs, but I'm able to use it to securely manage not only my home network, but also a whole bunch of business clients that I handle networking for.
its overkill and useless for all home and most small business installs...it should not be factored into the cost of managed switches as compared to unmanaged...

Saltster

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
This is not correct...8 port managed switches can be had for 100 or less...https://www.amazon.com/8-Port-Gigabit-Managed-Fanless-GS1900-8HP/dp/B00GU1KULM/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1512961530&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=zyxel+poe&psc=1
Need more power? or an easier to use switch, (though 99.9 percent of applications will never need close to 70w on an 8 port switch) https://www.amazon.com/D-Link-Systems-10-Port-including-DGS-1210-10P/dp/B003KJTZYK/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1512961557&sr=1-5&keywords=dlink+poe
Thanks for the links :) and info

Saltster

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

View attachment 24552
Thanks for taking the time to replay, very helpful. :)

Saltster

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
you dont need a system like that..dedicate another pc for the task...
Yeah I know, but my older units are not i7 so i just built this one, plus got a i7 Laptop... So I need to work with what I got at the moment. as time goes by, I always try to upgrade all my electronics.

Saltster

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Wanted to use a Dahua NVR with no ports, so I could use external ports.

Having a hard time finding a product model number for the Dahua NVR with no ports?

Thanks

Saltster

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Researching a new system from scratch, and Rounding it down to perhaps the below components. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Equipment:
  • 1) Dahua NVR5216-4KS2
  • 1) WD Purple 4TB Surveillance Hard Disk Drive
  • 1) NETGEAR GS724TPv2 24-Port Gigabit PoE+ Smart Managed Pro Switch190W = Switch Cheaper to get 24 ports then two 8, or 10s
Outside Cameras:
  • Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-Z Cameras
  • Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-ZE Cameras
  • Once I determine which of the Z or ZE cameras I like the best, will be getting around 10 +-
  • 2) Dahua IPC-HFW5231E-Z12E Cameras to cover both driveway entrances.
  • 1) Dahua PTZ (SD49225T-HN) to looks around the grounds when needed.
Mounts:
  • Dahua PFB203W Mounts for wall mount
  • Other Dahua mount?
Inside Cameras:
Not sure yet?

House 2 story
NVR Downstairs office
Switch Upstairs walk-in closet, backs up to Attic, center of house, easy access.
Using Cat5e Solid Copper Wiring
using Cable Strain Relief Boots Plug Cover

Reasons for Purchase:
  • Cameras, Recommended on this form.
  • Netgear switch offers lifetime warranty on there switches, and have free USA phone support.
  • Switch Cheaper to get 24 ports then two 8, or 10s

Last edited:

CountZero

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You might want to plan for 2 of the WD Purple drives right from the start. The NVR5216 has space for 2 drives, and it easier to just put everything together once.

I'd go with Cat6 cable as the difference in price is minimal and you get a little future proofing in the deal as well. I didn't bother with the strain relief boots. Once the cables are in they don't really move much. I just used a nice quality rj45 connector and sealed them up once they were plugged in. Routing the wires in the attic so they are up and out of the way and secure is a better use of your time in my opinion. Make sure your cable runs are neat and organized and up out of the way. Also, don't forget to label both ends of each cable so you know what you are dealing with. Those two things are not required for the install but they make adding to the system or servicing things later much easier.

Depending on where you are going to be mounting the cams, you may not need the wall mounts at all. The cams can be mounted in any position, they do not have to be hanging down. Most of mine are mounted to vertical wall surfaces or the eaves of the house, That gives you a lower profile mount that doesn't stick out from the wall as much. It also simplifies the install as I don't have to mount the mount, and then mount the cam to the mount and make sure they are both all sealed up properly. (If you want them to stick out or you cannot drill a large enough hole in your walls for the Ethernet pigtail, then the mounts are fine.) :)

Saltster

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You might want to plan for 2 of the WD Purple drives right from the start. The NVR5216 has space for 2 drives, and it easier to just put everything together once.
Oh OK I thought I could add the second one later?

I'd go with Cat6 cable as the difference in price is minimal
I already have the Cat5e http://amzn.to/2AUlXZy
why would I need the Cat6e for?

Depending on where you are going to be mounting the cams, you may not need the wall mounts at all.
Unfortunately I have cinder block walls, front and read porch... so I need to go with a wall mount on them...

May go with 2 of the D-Links, because they have NO Fans...? Price: $127.12 each

D-Link Systems 10-Port Gigabit Web Smart PoE Switch including 2 Gigabit SFP Ports w/78W PoE power (DGS-1210-10P) Limited Lifetime Warranty
http://amzn.to/2C0PNdZ

Last edited:

Saltster

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I just found out that I could get two more ports by using the below.

HiFiber for D-Link DGS-712, RJ45 Copper SFP Transceiver 1000Base-T , 100m
http://amzn.to/2yo0PYK

CountZero

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You *can* add the second drive later. Its just easier to take the NVR apart once and have it all taken care of from the beginning. Then you don't have to pull it out of wherever it ends up living to tear it apart to add a second drive later. (Which also takes your system down for however long adding that drive takes.) If you know you are going to want 2 drives, you can save yourself some work and just do they both to begin with.

Simple answer on the cable: Cat6 is certified for faster speeds and its a larger gauge wire.

5e is certified for 1 gigabit. Cat6 is certified for 10 gigabit.
Cat6 is 23G vs 24g for Cat5e.
And the interference specs are much tighter on Cat6, so there should be less noise on the line.

And for a difference of $10 for the roll of 1000' of cable. I figured it was a no brainer to future proof the cabling a little more. If you already have the cable, then 5e is fine. :) I just generally suggest 6 if you don't already have cable as the specs are better, its a little heavier and the cost difference is minor.

1000FT Cat6 Bulk Bare Copper Ethernet Network Cable UTP, Solid, Riser Rated (CMR), 500MHz, 23AWG, Blue - Monoprice.com

Don't plan on having those 2 extra ports for devices. Some switches use those SPF ports for uplink and downlink only. Meaning you can use them to connect 2 switches together, but they may not work as expected for a standard device. (Also there is no POE on those ports.) I use the SPF ports on my switches for uplink between switches, which is very nice and saves me a regular port that does have POE on it. Some SPF ports also support faster speeds than the gigabit ethernet of the standard ports. That depends on your switch though.