Daft question, but bear with me ....

BigFoot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Got a new IP camera and the default IP address is 192.168.1.13

In changing my network setting so that I can log into it (and thereafter change the IP address to that of my system) what setting should I use for :

IP Address

Subnet Mask

Default gateway

Sorry to appear dim but its been a long day & my mind has just gone blank -- though some would say its pretty empty most of the time anyway ;)

haz87

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi.
Set your computer up address to something like 192.168.1.10, subnetmask would auto fill to 255.255.255.0 and default gateway to 192.168.1.1 but this shouldn’t matter if only camera and computer are connected.

Hope this helps.

H.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Got a new IP camera and the default IP address is 192.168.1.13
For any future new cameras - maybe worth knowing that Hikvision and Dahua both have 'device search / initial network config' tools that work across IP address ranges, so no need to temporarily change the PC.

But that default IP address suggests a camera running Xiongmaitech firmware.
If so - it's riddled with easy exploits, so whatever you do, don't allow inbound access from the internet (ie port forwarding) so you can see it when not at home.

BigFoot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
For any future new cameras - maybe worth knowing that Hikvision and Dahua both have 'device search / initial network config' tools that work across IP address ranges, so no need to temporarily change the PC.

But that default IP address suggests a camera running Xiongmaitech firmware.
If so - it's riddled with easy exploits, so whatever you do, don't allow inbound access from the internet (ie port forwarding) so you can see it when not at home.
Hello Alastair

Thank you for the additional information - the camera is a Uniview (aka Zhajiang Uniview Co Ltd) - once installed it will be a sealed system running both software & hardware firewalls and won't be connected to remotely

I've tried a Hikvision camera & its SADP tool - really didn't like it so I'll be selling that one on

By the sound of recent news it would seem that Hikvision has a number of easy exploits, not least when the camera's seem to be able to connected to remotely on a seemingly secure system. Rather frightening really

Thanks again

BigFoot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yes, quite ...... its like all those in equally blissful ignorance about things like the Alexa device :)

I wouldn't have one in my home !

BigFoot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Still having no joy with the original question

Totally unable to connect to these Uniview camera's ........ its really p*ssing me off :)

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Can you ping the IP address that you believe is the default?
If not - what IP address do you have the PC set to?
And presumably the PC and the camera are just wired to the normal switch/router ports and - apologies - does the switch/router show a link detect for the camera??

BigFoot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Can you ping the IP address that you believe is the default?
If not - what IP address do you have the PC set to?
And presumably the PC and the camera are just wired to the normal switch/router ports and - apologies - does the switch/router show a link detect for the camera??
Hi Alastair - thank you for your kind reply

I have tried setting the IP address of 3 different PC's to the same IP as listed in the camera instructions. The switch shows both lights illuminated above the RJ plug, and if I cover the lense the IR illuminator activates

I have tried EZStation (Univiews own software), the SADP tool, Angry IP scanner and 3 different browsers (IE 11, SeaMonkey & Chrome with IE tab) and none of them will connect or even detect the camera

I have also tried BI 'add camera' with the PC in its native IP and also with its IP changed to match the camera

On all the PC's I have disabled the firewall and disabled any antivirus - I have also unplugged my other camera's so that only the Uniview is running through the POE switch

I am really at a loss for what to do aside from request a refund. It is bloody frustrating !

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Alastair - thank you for your kind reply

I have tried setting the IP address of 3 different PC's to the same IP as listed in the camera instructions. The switch shows both lights illuminated above the RJ plug, and if I cover the lense the IR illuminator activates

I have tried EZStation (Univiews own software), the SADP tool, Angry IP scanner and 3 different browsers (IE 11, SeaMonkey & Chrome with IE tab) and none of them will connect or even detect the camera

I have also tried BI 'add camera' with the PC in its native IP and also with its IP changed to match the camera

On all the PC's I have disabled the firewall and disabled any antivirus - I have also unplugged my other camera's so that only the Uniview is running through the POE switch

I am really at a loss for what to do aside from request a refund. It is bloody frustrating !
HI @BigFoot

Has the vendor provided any support? Maybe the documentation is out of date?

I would try something like nmap and do a port scan on the subnet to see what ports are open and answering.

( fyi - nmap is available for windows, there also maybe a similar windows version - Windows | Nmap Network Scanning)

BigFoot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
HI @BigFoot

Has the vendor provided any support? Maybe the documentation is out of date?

I would try something like nmap and do a port scan on the subnet to see what ports are open and answering.

( fyi - nmap is available for windows, there also maybe a similar windows version - Windows | Nmap Network Scanning)
Thank you @mat200 - I've never heard of that port scanner - I'll give it a go

It is public holidays here at present (4-day Easter Weekend), I will try the vendor & the UK importer/distributors on Tuesday

Thank you for your kind reply

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
If you feel like messing with your Windows configuration ...
Wireshark ( Wireshark · Download ) even without a NIC configured for promiscuous mode, or a switch that does port replication / mirroring will capture the likely broadcasts that a device will do on startup to determine if the IP address it would like to use is already occupied.

The power-on capture can be a bit hard to interpret if you are not used to it - in which case attach the file here for responses from helpful forum members.
But there is a good chance you would spot a clue to the IP address in use by this elusive camera.

BigFoot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If you feel like messing with your Windows configuration ...
Wireshark ( Wireshark · Download ) even without a NIC configured for promiscuous mode, or a switch that does port replication / mirroring will capture the likely broadcasts that a device will do on startup to determine if the IP address it would like to use is already occupied.

The power-on capture can be a bit hard to interpret if you are not used to it - in which case attach the file here for responses from helpful forum members.
But there is a good chance you would spot a clue to the IP address in use by this elusive camera.
Alastair - that sounds .... way over my head, but I'll have a look into it and see how I get on :)

Thank you so much to you, and everyone else, for endeavouring to help me

It really is very very appreciated - I cannot thank you all enough

BigFoot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
OK, I've downloaded Wireshark ..... its looks like a cross between NASA & James Bond !!

What setting/s do I need to configure to get a start up capture that will be of use for you to interpret & how do I do it

I'm not thick (honestly) but this is way outta my comfort zone :)

Actually .....

I'm kinda learning all the time & its a steep learning curve

If I open wireshark, disconnect my 2 existing cameras, unplug my other pc's from the switch, disconnect my router

Then start a capture and plug in my camera (so its the only thing connected to my poe switch) would that produce a capture of use ?

I know it sounds low-tech (or even no tech :) ) but all the YT video's I've watched about filters & configs has my mind boggled .....

Last edited:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, just start a capture as you've suggested, power on the camera, wait maybe a couple of minutes, stop the capture, save the file.
Zip it up and attach it here.
We might be lucky and find what you're looking for.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Is the enclosed what you were talking about ?
That's perfect.
Here is what that capture shows :

The device with MAC address - Zhejiang_9c:4a:66 (48:ea:63:9c:4a:66) sends a DHCP request 6 times but receives no reply - presumably as your router/DHCP server is disconnected.

That same device issues an ARP to see if any device is using the IP address 192.168.1.13
There is no response, which is good, as it presumably would like to use it in the absence of a DHCP response.

That same device, now using IP address 192.168.1.13 broadcasts it's ONVIF discovery profile to any device on the network that cares to listen.
Within that profile is information that shows :
/name/IPC3614LR3-PF40-D onvif://www.onvif.org/manufacturer/UNV

So - the Uniview camera does appear to have a fixed IP address of 192.168.1.13 in the absence of a DHCP-assigned address.
Suggestions :

With everything connected up again as normal, including the router, power cycle the camera and it should be issued an IP address on your LAN address range, which looks like 192.168.178.x
You should be able to find the assigned address (check for the MAC address 48:ea:63:9c:4a:66) in the router's 'connected devices' list, and point the browser at that address.
This will not be the 192.168.1.13 address, but one issued by the DHCP server in the 192.168.178.x range.

Alternatively - with the router still disconnected, power cycle the camera.
Set the PC IP address to, say, 192.168.1.100 and point the browser at the 192.168.1.13 address
Log in, and in the network configuration section, change the IP address to one of your choice in the 192.168.178.x range.
Put the PC network configuration back as it was, and access the camera at the new address that you have set.

I believe the problem will be that the default 192.168.1.13 address is only used in the absence of a DHCP-assigned address.
So when your router/DHCP server issued an address, it would no longer need to use the default address, and any attempt to access that address would not work.

BigFoot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
That's perfect.
Here is what that capture shows :

The device with MAC address - Zhejiang_9c:4a:66 (48:ea:63:9c:4a:66) sends a DHCP request 6 times but receives no reply - presumably as your router/DHCP server is disconnected.

That same device issues an ARP to see if any device is using the IP address 192.168.1.13
There is no response, which is good, as it presumably would like to use it in the absence of a DHCP response.

That same device, now using IP address 192.168.1.13 broadcasts it's ONVIF discovery profile to any device on the network that cares to listen.
Within that profile is information that shows :
/name/IPC3614LR3-PF40-D onvif://www.onvif.org/manufacturer/UNV

So - the Uniview camera does appear to have a fixed IP address of 192.168.1.13 in the absence of a DHCP-assigned address.
Suggestions :

With everything connected up again as normal, including the router, power cycle the camera and it should be issued an IP address on your LAN address range, which looks like 192.168.178.x
You should be able to find the assigned address (check for the MAC address 48:ea:63:9c:4a:66) in the router's 'connected devices' list, and point the browser at that address.
This will not be the 192.168.1.13 address, but one issued by the DHCP server in the 192.168.178.x range.

Alternatively - with the router still disconnected, power cycle the camera.
Set the PC IP address to, say, 192.168.1.100 and point the browser at the 192.168.1.13 address
Log in, and in the network configuration section, change the IP address to one of your choice in the 192.168.178.x range.
Put the PC network configuration back as it was, and access the camera at the new address that you have set.

I believe the problem will be that the default 192.168.1.13 address is only used in the absence of a DHCP-assigned address.
So when your router/DHCP server issued an address, it would no longer need to use the default address, and any attempt to access that address would not work.
Thank you @alastairstevenson , that is really appreciated.

I'm just on my way to work (6am to 2pm) but will give in a go later up my return.

I'll let you know how I get on