Dahau NVR5208 with USB wifi dongle.

Nick70068

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Andy,

Do you have any recommendations for using a USB wifi dongle on the Dahau NVR5208-8P-4KS2 I purchased from you?

I bought the dongle from a guy in Ireland that advertises that these work with Hikvision and Dahau NVRs.

It is a Ralink RT5370 USB wifi dongle, and when plugged into the NVR it picks up all the routers in the vicinity. I entered all of my security information and it will not connect to the router. I tried both static and DHCP, and neither would connect.

Any information is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Nick

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Andy,

Do you have any recommendations for using a USB wifi dongle on the Dahau NVR5208-8P-4KS2 I purchased from you?

I bought the dongle from a guy in Ireland that advertises that these work with Hikvision and Dahau NVRs.

It is a Ralink RT5370 USB wifi dongle, and when plugged into the NVR it picks up all the routers in the vicinity. I entered all of my security information and it will not connect to the router. I tried both static and DHCP, and neither would connect.

Any information is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Nick
You must hardwire the NVR. Wifi on the NVR is just asking for problems.

Nick70068

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Andy,

Once again, thanks for your wisdom. I went ahead and used power line adapters between the NVR and router. I had to use them at my other house and they have worked out great.

Thanks,
Nick

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Andy,

Once again, thanks for your wisdom. I went ahead and used power line adapters between the NVR and router. I had to use them at my other house and they have worked out great.

Thanks,
Nick
I work for a very large communication companies that install video phones all over the USA. I work as a outreach technician going every location and we often use powerline adapter while it great to use when customer don't want to install ethernet cable due to leased location but I must warn you that powerline adapters are know to drop connectivity. Good powerline adapter will attempts to restore the connectivity asap. This may be fine with video phone since caller can just call back when connection is lost but it would be a risk for home camera securities if there is no sandisk in your camera to restore those missing footage in NVR if the connectivity was temporary cut off.

Nick70068

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have been using a TP-Link powerline adapter on an old DVR for several years and it has never dropped connection. The few times I lost power once the power is back on it reconnects without a problem.