Dahua 2MP 25x Starlight IR PTZ Network Camera (SD49225T-HN)

Brian Martin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks. That IR coverage is pretty amazing especially when zoomed in across the street.
I am pretty happy with it so far. Been trying to get some
Critters on camera but nothing has been around the past two nights.
Zooming in on the grass is really clear. No doubt this will give a clear picture of a human subject. I will do a few tests in a few days once the nights warm up a little!

mpbcam

n3wb
Reaction score
I braved the rain/snow and got my camera mounted the other day (SD49225T-HN). It replaced a Reolink RLC-423 and the first thing I feel worth mentioning is the auto-focus at night is remarkably better than the Reolink... like, doesn't even compare.

The Reolink would hunt/seek for a decent focus, and I would sit and watch it after zooming in on something, and it would go right past the best focal plane. Sometimes it would continue all the way through the range and then "snap" to the best focus it found, but more often than not it wound up focusing on... I don't know what. I'd have to manually tweak the focus near/far and it was so sensitive that it was just painful. Sometimes I could pan over where there was less foreground to confuse it and then pan back. But don't touch the zoom or the auto-focus would decide it needed to do something even if it was fine.

This Dahua though, I mean, yeah you'll see it hunt for the right focus, but it does so fairly fast and I haven't had a failure to focus in my testing.

This is only it's second night on the corner of my house... night one I switched it to color mode just to give the starlight feature a run for it's money. It's very impressive to see my dark cul-de-sac with only a few porch lights and some landscape lights to illuminate things, yet I can see at least as good as my old cam could in night vision.

For tonight I'm going with black-and-white and tweaking some gain values, backlight compensation, etc. Right now I've got it pointed at the interesting part of the street and it's lit up pretty good. The foreground of the frame, maybe 50 feet away, is nicely illuminated (the top of my driveway), and meanwhile I can see the side of my neighbor's garage across the street, maybe 150', and it's also lit just fine to where I can make things out pretty well, see the cars in his driveway, etc.

It's a tricky thing because in the foreground, taking nearly half of the frame, is a tree. I would just avoid it but my truck is parked on the street and I wanted to be able to see it through the branches (won't be able to do that come springtime). But even with those branches lit up, it's still doing a good job of keeping the rest of the image lit well, and it didn't focus on just those foreground branches, but really did seem to set the focal plane probably right in the middle of the street, if I had to guess. I'm only zoomed in about 1.5x (it says "1" but it is zoomed in a bit, just not x2 yet). So the focus isn't really a big problem at that zoom level anyway. But I can zoom in on specific features like license plates of cars parked and it'll pick it up just fine at different ranges.

A couple of things worth mentioning... of course using color mode at night means a slower shutter speed so you'll get motion blur. But still cool. I haven't tweaked shutter speeds in IR mode so I'm not sure just how fast a shutter I can get to avoid the blur and still get a nicely lit image, but I'll be testing that out over the next few nights.

I did find myself wishing this had a higher resolution... the 25x zoom (instead of the 4x like the Reolink) makes up for that a LOT but in it's "default" preset during the day, I do see the difference.

Also, the Reolink at 1x seemed to have a wider field of view than the Dahua at 1x.

The RLC-423 says it's 100° at 1x and the SD49225T-HN is only 59.2° so you really should keep that in mind when considering placement.

For me, the narrower FOV is a bummer, but I have coverage with other cameras and this one is mostly to capture the street but also be able to PTZ around to capture other things. So, while I can no longer see the street *and* my front porch from the corner of my house, I can still view the street and let my porch cam cover the front door. At some point maybe BI will have motion tracking and can follow delivery people down the driveway to my door, but that's just extra if/when that happens. The front door cam is going to be better at getting their faces anyway since they come up the steps and basically have to "smile for the camera" on their way up.

Mounting the camera to my house... the corner trim I have is only 3" wide and then goes to your basic lap siding... not great for trying to mount this on a corner. The RLC-423 wasn't much wider than 3" so I just attached half to the trim and the other half I used longer screws that reached the lap siding. Looked a little funny, but only up close, and it really couldn't "see" around the corner totally to see that other side of the house.

For the Dahua, I decided it really should extend out more, so it could see around the corner. I considered fashioning a metal bracket or buying one, but I didn't see anything that would really work for my situation. In the end, I went with a "keep it simple" solution and just took a ~ 6" x 6" x 1" thick piece of wood, painted it the same color as my trim, and predrilled some holes for the bracket arm to attach, and also pre-drilled holes where I'd attach that board to the existing trim.

Being ~ 6 inches wide, it sticks out from the corner of the house about 3" which is enough for the dome to easily see around the corner. Good... now I can spy on the meter reader when he pops by, from a weird overhead angle. :)

I like how it looks... I mean, it's a big dome sticking out from my house, but a corner bracket would have been even more "sticky outy" and I like that it's the same color as my trim, it was easy to make (I used extra wood/paint/screws/bolts I already had, so... free!) and easy to install.

Maybe I'll post a picture later if anyone was curious.

In summary, awesome camera, glad I got it. Wish lists would be "higher megapixel and wider 1x FOV" but I guess only if it didn't cost an arm and a leg for those.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I braved the rain/snow and got my camera mounted the other day (SD49225T-HN). It replaced a Reolink RLC-423 and the first thing I feel worth mentioning is the auto-focus at night is remarkably better than the Reolink... like, doesn't even compare.

The Reolink would hunt/seek for a decent focus, and I would sit and watch it after zooming in on something, and it would go right past the best focal plane. Sometimes it would continue all the way through the range and then "snap" to the best focus it found, but more often than not it wound up focusing on... I don't know what. I'd have to manually tweak the focus near/far and it was so sensitive that it was just painful. Sometimes I could pan over where there was less foreground to confuse it and then pan back. But don't touch the zoom or the auto-focus would decide it needed to do something even if it was fine.

This Dahua though, I mean, yeah you'll see it hunt for the right focus, but it does so fairly fast and I haven't had a failure to focus in my testing.

This is only it's second night on the corner of my house... night one I switched it to color mode just to give the starlight feature a run for it's money. It's very impressive to see my dark cul-de-sac with only a few porch lights and some landscape lights to illuminate things, yet I can see at least as good as my old cam could in night vision.

For tonight I'm going with black-and-white and tweaking some gain values, backlight compensation, etc. Right now I've got it pointed at the interesting part of the street and it's lit up pretty good. The foreground of the frame, maybe 50 feet away, is nicely illuminated (the top of my driveway), and meanwhile I can see the side of my neighbor's garage across the street, maybe 150', and it's also lit just fine to where I can make things out pretty well, see the cars in his driveway, etc.

It's a tricky thing because in the foreground, taking nearly half of the frame, is a tree. I would just avoid it but my truck is parked on the street and I wanted to be able to see it through the branches (won't be able to do that come springtime). But even with those branches lit up, it's still doing a good job of keeping the rest of the image lit well, and it didn't focus on just those foreground branches, but really did seem to set the focal plane probably right in the middle of the street, if I had to guess. I'm only zoomed in about 1.5x (it says "1" but it is zoomed in a bit, just not x2 yet). So the focus isn't really a big problem at that zoom level anyway. But I can zoom in on specific features like license plates of cars parked and it'll pick it up just fine at different ranges.

A couple of things worth mentioning... of course using color mode at night means a slower shutter speed so you'll get motion blur. But still cool. I haven't tweaked shutter speeds in IR mode so I'm not sure just how fast a shutter I can get to avoid the blur and still get a nicely lit image, but I'll be testing that out over the next few nights.

I did find myself wishing this had a higher resolution... the 25x zoom (instead of the 4x like the Reolink) makes up for that a LOT but in it's "default" preset during the day, I do see the difference.

Also, the Reolink at 1x seemed to have a wider field of view than the Dahua at 1x.

The RLC-423 says it's 100° at 1x and the SD49225T-HN is only 59.2° so you really should keep that in mind when considering placement.

For me, the narrower FOV is a bummer, but I have coverage with other cameras and this one is mostly to capture the street but also be able to PTZ around to capture other things. So, while I can no longer see the street *and* my front porch from the corner of my house, I can still view the street and let my porch cam cover the front door. At some point maybe BI will have motion tracking and can follow delivery people down the driveway to my door, but that's just extra if/when that happens. The front door cam is going to be better at getting their faces anyway since they come up the steps and basically have to "smile for the camera" on their way up.

Mounting the camera to my house... the corner trim I have is only 3" wide and then goes to your basic lap siding... not great for trying to mount this on a corner. The RLC-423 wasn't much wider than 3" so I just attached half to the trim and the other half I used longer screws that reached the lap siding. Looked a little funny, but only up close, and it really couldn't "see" around the corner totally to see that other side of the house.

For the Dahua, I decided it really should extend out more, so it could see around the corner. I considered fashioning a metal bracket or buying one, but I didn't see anything that would really work for my situation. In the end, I went with a "keep it simple" solution and just took a ~ 6" x 6" x 1" thick piece of wood, painted it the same color as my trim, and predrilled some holes for the bracket arm to attach, and also pre-drilled holes where I'd attach that board to the existing trim.

Being ~ 6 inches wide, it sticks out from the corner of the house about 3" which is enough for the dome to easily see around the corner. Good... now I can spy on the meter reader when he pops by, from a weird overhead angle. :)

I like how it looks... I mean, it's a big dome sticking out from my house, but a corner bracket would have been even more "sticky outy" and I like that it's the same color as my trim, it was easy to make (I used extra wood/paint/screws/bolts I already had, so... free!) and easy to install.

In summary, awesome camera, glad I got it. Wish lists would be "higher megapixel and wider 1x FOV" but I guess only if it didn't cost an arm and a leg for those.
it would definately cost an arm and a leg, i'd be interested to see the mounting though.

localdevjs

n3wb
Reaction score
If you want to tweak settings via external scripts its totally doable; I change alot of settings via my home automation system..
That is awesome!

And you sir, are a gentleman and a scholar. Why this information is not displayed somewhere in the web interface is beyond me. I'd have never known that http interface existed had I not just randomly popped in and read your post.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
That is awesome!

And you sir, are a gentleman and a scholar. Why this information is not displayed somewhere in the web interface is beyond me. I'd have never known that http interface existed had I not just randomly popped in and read your post.

now come back and show us what you do with it so everyone can benefit lol.

gregbert

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Yeah, post some installation pics.

mpbcam

n3wb
Reaction score
it would definately cost an arm and a leg, i'd be interested to see the mounting though.
I'm sure in time (couple years?) there'll be a better camera at the same price point. Then I can relegate this current gem to another spot and treat myself to an upgrade. I mean, a camera like this just a year ago would have cost a pretty penny.

Here are some pics of my cheapo/simple mount.
front.jpg back.jpg full.jpg

wxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yeah, the FOV is definitely an issue worth taking note of...Fully zoomed out, the lens is 4.8mm which doesn't give a very broad FOV. A little more than the Huisun mini ptz (it was like a 5.1mm), but not significantly more...In hind sight, I probably should have went with the 30x version...Not because I needed more zoom, but because it's starting point is 4.5mm and would have given a bit broader FOV.....All a very significant difference from the 2.8mm fisheye lens and even a notable difference from my Hikvision 3mp cam that has a 4.0mm lens....

Also of note is that the resolution is 1920 x 1080 so horizontal FOV is going to be much more than vertical FOV....Whereas some cams (like the Hik 3mp) have a more squared image with more vertical FOV rather than the short/wide aspect ratio. That was definitely a benefit for the Hik 3mp in terms of using as a weather/nature cam because I could get my flower garden and a good amount of sky all in one picture...With the new 25x PTZ (much like the Huisun), I can only get one at a time; If I'm on the flower garden, there's no sky; If I'm on the sky, I can't see any landscape...In that sense, the PTZ can't exactly replace my fixed Hik 3mp; just added as a supplement for closer inspection and more directions.

For my situation, something like a 30x (lets say a 3.0mm to 90mm) would be ideal...Unfortunately, I've not been able to find anything like this with newer technology. I did have an analog cam years ago that was a 36x zoom (3.6 to 129mm) which gave me decent coverage range.

I'd love to build my own PTZ like I build my own computers...Unfortunately, past experimenting has proven to be difficult...Not that they're hard to put together, it's just difficult to find parts, especially compatible parts and to know that you're getting quality hardware....My current computer I put together with parts I purchased from American sellers on Ebay. Found a Mother board and a case big enough to fit it. Had detailed specs on what inputs it had, what all was compatible with it, etc...Didn't take long to find compatible parts and was a matter of snapping them together. With PTZ cams, what parts I could find were in China and only available through Alibaba. Specs were inaccurate and inconsistent/contradictory. No one could answer any questions on compatibility and could barely find anyone that spoke English. No brand name parts with any reviews to know if they're quality parts. I finally had to give up that project. PTZ assembly is apparently just a dead industry in America, which really is a shame! Could be a fun hobby and perhaps even make a decent career for some.

mpbcam

n3wb
Reaction score
And here's a video of my neighbor getting some trees cut down across the street. I got the camera up just the day before and while the trees were coming down I found myself playing with the settings. I tried WDR at first but when the sun came out it tended to make all the colors super vivid and cartoony (my red truck for example seemed day-glo). And then when the clouds moved in, WDR seemed to darken things WAY too much. In the end I just turned off the backlighting options... so you'll see some odd brightness changes during the timelapse.

Also, I don't know why but when I exported this from Blue Iris, it seems to play back jerky from the exported WMV. I've exported my time lapses before and they turned out fine so I don't know what's up with this. I tried it with keyframes every 2 seconds @ 1024Kbps and also keyframes every 1 second at 2048Kbps... buffer of 3000msec each time. Same result, it just seems to stutter.

When I play back using the BVR it looks fine... any tips? Since this is a timelapse of 1 frame every 5 seconds, I have re-encoding turned on (not direct-to-disc), but like I mentioned, I've done this before and never seen it being jerky on the export. Oh well... something to fuss with later.

EDIT: I tried again but set the buffer to 5000 msec instead and it's MUCH better. I think my computer running BI is getting sluggish with all the cams... poor little 3770K isn't as awesome as it used to be.

EDIT #2: Ick, it's still a little jerky later on. I'm done fussing with WMV and just exported as a larger MP4 and it's uploading to Youtube now. Sorry for the roundabout... it just doesn't show off the camera if my export is making it look lousy. I mean... the MP4 is 10x larger than the WMV, and heaven only knows what Youtube does to it when it re-encodes anyway.

Last edited:

wxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I tried WDR at first but when the sun came out it tended to make all the colors super vivid and cartoony (my red truck for example seemed day-glo). And then when the clouds moved in, WDR seemed to darken things WAY too much. In the end I just turned off the backlighting options... so you'll see some odd brightness changes during the timelapse.
How much WDR did you use? From what I was seeing, it looked like the WDR may have been set too high...I would try it between 5% and 20%...Anything above that will probably wash out too much and make things look unnatural..However, WDR is only for when you're trying to properly expose both very light and very dark conditions at the same time (such as the clouds in the sky along with the shaded areas of the ground). If the sky/clouds are not important, you could try turning BLC on and clicking "custom". This will give you a box on the screen that you can move/resize/redraw over the area you want properly exposed. You could draw this over the ground area and that would correct the exposure to make the ground and trees look normal (while the sky will likely turn solid white/overexposed)...

ldasilva

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
so the last few days i been noticing my presets have been drifting its gotten pretty bad have had to re-preset and today the color looks wayy off kinda like WDR is running or something ....im about to do a factory default to see if this fixes it

mpbcam

n3wb
Reaction score
How much WDR did you use? From what I was seeing, it looked like the WDR may have been set too high...I would try it between 5% and 20%...Anything above that will probably wash out too much and make things look unnatural..However, WDR is only for when you're trying to properly expose both very light and very dark conditions at the same time (such as the clouds in the sky along with the shaded areas of the ground). If the sky/clouds are not important, you could try turning BLC on and clicking "custom". This will give you a box on the screen that you can move/resize/redraw over the area you want properly exposed. You could draw this over the ground area and that would correct the exposure to make the ground and trees look normal (while the sky will likely turn solid white/overexposed)...
Oh... yeah, I guess I never took the time to really understand what the slider for WDR will do. I probably had it set to the default 50 when it had it's funky false color look.

Same with BLC... I did try it out at some point using the custom, and I didn't know what I'm supposed to do with the box. I thought maybe I needed to put the box over the source of the light I'm trying to compensate for...is that not right? Do I place the box around whatever it is I'm trying to highlight instead?

You could very well say to me "hey, read the manual!" and you'd be right, except the help for these never really seems to tell me "what" these things do, just "how" to adjust them. LOL

Well, thanks for the tips, I'll definitely try it later (once the sun decides to reappear). I have another Dahua bullet cam (IPC-HFW4300s) that has one of my porchlights in view... I'd tried the BLC custom with that too, putting the box on the light, not on my driveway. Turns out I've probably been doing that wrong which is why I wasn't happy with the results. :)

wxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
so the last few days i been noticing my presets have been drifting its gotten pretty bad have had to re-preset and today the color looks wayy off kinda like WDR is running or something ....im about to do a factory default to see if this fixes it
Haven't noticed any preset drift yet, although mine's only been up for a few days now. Time will tell..

As for the color, we've finally got a sunny day here and the white balance is extremely off in some scenes. It's leaning way too heavy on the reds and insisting my grass is horse-poop brown instead of greenish/beige. Looked so bad that I had to turn over to manual wb. There I've been able to correct it and with no clouds to shade things, it's worked well all day thus far...Obviously, once we start approaching sunset, it's going to crap out and need an adjustment. Maybe the auto modes will work fine then.

It's a great unit overall and can do great things with frequent manual adjustments, but definitely needs some work on the automation. The Hik 3mp was a "set it and forget it" cam for me and produces a great image all day regardless of conditions...This one can match the image of the Hik with manual adjustments, but I can't find any auto modes that will keep up with the changing conditions.

Same with BLC... I did try it out at some point using the custom, and I didn't know what I'm supposed to do with the box. I thought maybe I needed to put the box over the source of the light I'm trying to compensate for...is that not right? Do I place the box around whatever it is I'm trying to highlight instead?
The box goes over what you're wanting to look at...So if you want to see the ground, you draw the box over the ground.

wxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
So I've been trying the "sodium lamp" white balance..That seems to give a much more natural color for me in sunlight and removes some of the red bias...It works for a while, sometimes a few minutes, sometimes a half hour or so...but then randomly the whole image turns an extreme blue color. Nothing corrects it other than changing the white balance to another setting and then changing back to "sodium lamp"..Then it's normal again for a while...Maybe a firmware bug?

ldasilva

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
well a reboot fixed the color problem haven't done the reset yet
cam-life.JPG

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ive had options that seem to get stuck and usually a reset to default and reconfig fixed it; It seems playing with a bunch of settings all the time when you got your shiny new camera puts em in a condition that cause issues; our behavior would be really hard to test for sometimes.

for the longest time I'd have to manually kick WDR on my PTZ, thought it was a bug and wrote a script to toggle it on/off every morning after changing the profile.. one day I reset it to defaults and the problem was gone and my script started to make things worse heh

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Ive had options that seem to get stuck and usually a reset to default and reconfig fixed it; It seems playing with a bunch of settings all the time when you got your shiny new camera puts em in a condition that cause issues; our behavior would be really hard to test for sometimes.

for the longest time I'd have to manually kick WDR on my PTZ, thought it was a bug and wrote a script to toggle it on/off every morning after changing the profile.. one day I reset it to defaults and the problem was gone and my script started to make things worse heh
Haha, yeah my ptz is on the test bench so to speak right now in the living room and the night mode switch was spazzing out, I power cycled it, changed some settings back and forth and it seems calm now staying in night mode lol was starting to worry me

ldasilva

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

thats what i was thinking i just havnt had enough time to factory default yet
the reboot did fix what look like had WDR running so that was a +
maybe tomorrow when i get off work i can reset
by the time i get home from work my presets r driving me nuts lol

cryptelli

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Had a similar issue when adjusting the audio codec on the 2MP starlight turrets, was going between different sampling frequencies when I lost all sound, defaulted audio settings and was back in business.