Dahua 2MP 25x Starlight IR PTZ Network Camera (SD49225T-HN)

marklyn

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Best practice is, if it's not broke, don't fix it.
Agreed. but since I'm new to Dahua, I wanted to ask about both files and PAL vs NTSC difference. Andy already answered that if/when I upgrade I can do PAL and the PTZ file. I'm not the first to upgrade, I let voluntary beta testers do that for me :), unless there is an issue I'm wanting to correct.

stevep

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi guys, still learning every day thanks to this forum..... can I power this ptz from a NVR5216-16P-4KS2E ??? Or do I need an injector? Many thanks

Steve

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi guys, still learning every day thanks to this forum..... can I power this ptz from a NVR5216-16P-4KS2E ??? Or do I need an injector? Many thanks

Steve
This is what the specifications say.
PoE: Max 25.5W for single port , 130W total rated power, 80% control for protection . Here is what the camera is rated at. 13W,20W (IR on). I don't think this rating is for the heater.

I have a Hikvision 8 channel NVR and I ran it straight out of the port with no problems. Later on a got a little worried and bought a power injector.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks Parley, what made you worried?? Thanks
Steve
The camera was getting close to the maximum power output of my POE port. The run is one of the longer ones I have and I wanted to insure that the power was more than adequate at the camera itself. It is possible to eventually burn out the camera if the power is not adequate.

Gilean

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I am planning to dive straight to the deep end, that is, going to this world of surveillance cameras from start. I have been overwhelmed about how much choices about brands and models there are, but finally come into conclusion that Dahua is probably the best brand and this SD49225T-HN is the "best bang for the buck". I have read this whole thread, and that took me few days lol :) But I am still wondering about what to get and from where. So I have a couple of questions for you hobbyists/professionals:

1. You all seem to encourage ordering straight from Andy. I have understood that he gives good service and all, but IF I find this camera cheaper, say, in Amazon Europe, is there some reason I shouldn't order it from there? As living in EU, it would be easier to sort out problems etc, or at least one would like to think so... I have ordered quite a lot of stuff from AliExpress and usually everything has gone well, but nothing this expensive (there will be customs etc).

2. We have quite strict laws here, and they strictly prohibit individual home-owners from positioning camera in such way that neighbour's yard or even public street (or especially people there) will be shown on camera, even potentially! And of course I have neighbours and streets all around my yard... I have read that at least some cameras (or NVR's ?) have these privacy masking tools that you can blur/blacken some areas from camera's view, so I could for example mask my neighbours' yards so that they are not going to be on my recordings. But does that work at all with PTZ cameras, especially with this one? I mean, if my neighbour is in west but not in north, can I somehow set it up so that when camera pans from west to north, it blocks my neighbours yard from view when it is heading west, but doesn't keep that black box when it turns and faces north? If you know what I mean?

3. Because these things are quite expensive, and I will probably need several cameras anyway, I have thought that initially I will buy one PTZ camera (this one) and one turret camera (HDW5231R-Z, I guess this is the best cheap one?), and then I can try them in different positions to see how many more of those cameras I still need. And for NVR this one: NVR4104-P-4KS2. Would you recommend this set or something else? I have this impression that all three equipment are quite good.

4. I have understood that it would be best to go for PoE cameras if possible, but I am in situation where it could be easier to go with Wifi cameras and NVR as it's very difficult to draw cables around my house (and shed outside), and I am probably going to move anyway after 2-3 years. Is that wifi solution going to work at all? Or at least if I get to drawing cables around my house, then could I add 2-3 cameras around my shed (that place would have a great view across my backyard etc) and all those cameras would be wireless? Or would having several WIFI cameras block my wifi network completely?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I am planning to dive straight to the deep end, that is, going to this world of surveillance cameras from start. I have been overwhelmed about how much choices about brands and models there are, but finally come into conclusion that Dahua is probably the best brand and this SD49225T-HN is the "best bang for the buck". I have read this whole thread, and that took me few days lol :) But I am still wondering about what to get and from where. So I have a couple of questions for you hobbyists/professionals:

1. You all seem to encourage ordering straight from Andy. I have understood that he gives good service and all, but IF I find this camera cheaper, say, in Amazon Europe, is there some reason I shouldn't order it from there? As living in EU, it would be easier to sort out problems etc, or at least one would like to think so... I have ordered quite a lot of stuff from AliExpress and usually everything has gone well, but nothing this expensive (there will be customs etc).

2. We have quite strict laws here, and they strictly prohibit individual home-owners from positioning camera in such way that neighbour's yard or even public street (or especially people there) will be shown on camera, even potentially! And of course I have neighbours and streets all around my yard... I have read that at least some cameras (or NVR's ?) have these privacy masking tools that you can blur/blacken some areas from camera's view, so I could for example mask my neighbours' yards so that they are not going to be on my recordings. But does that work at all with PTZ cameras, especially with this one? I mean, if my neighbour is in west but not in north, can I somehow set it up so that when camera pans from west to north, it blocks my neighbours yard from view when it is heading west, but doesn't keep that black box when it turns and faces north? If you know what I mean?

3. Because these things are quite expensive, and I will probably need several cameras anyway, I have thought that initially I will buy one PTZ camera (this one) and one turret camera (HDW5231R-Z, I guess this is the best cheap one?), and then I can try them in different positions to see how many more of those cameras I still need. And for NVR this one: NVR4104-P-4KS2. Would you recommend this set or something else? I have this impression that all three equipment are quite good.

4. I have understood that it would be best to go for PoE cameras if possible, but I am in situation where it could be easier to go with Wifi cameras and NVR as it's very difficult to draw cables around my house (and shed outside), and I am probably going to move anyway after 2-3 years. Is that wifi solution going to work at all? Or at least if I get to drawing cables around my house, then could I add 2-3 cameras around my shed (that place would have a great view across my backyard etc) and all those cameras would be wireless? Or would having several WIFI cameras block my wifi network completely?
Welcome,
1-Andy knows how to deal with the different countries tax situations. If you haven't yet, read the Cliff Notes in the Wiki at the top of the page. When buying from Amazon or Ebay, you have to careful and not purchase China Region versions.

2-Yes. Typically better for more cams inplace of a PTZ.

3-That's only a 4ch NVR, an 8ch or 16ch will only cost a few dollars more, future proof.

4-WiFi is not reliable for security cams, after one or two cams, you overwhelm the Wifi network, and have all sorts of problems.
Use wire.

RicRat2009

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

2. Masking stays where applied.

IMG_1059.jpg
IMG_1060.jpg
IMG_1061.jpg

Gilean

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Welcome,
1-Andy knows how to deal with the different countries tax situations. If you haven't yet, read the Cliff Notes in the Wiki at the top of the page. When buying from Amazon or Ebay, you have to careful and not purchase China Region versions.

2-Yes. Typically better for more cams inplace of a PTZ.

3-That's only a 4ch NVR, an 8ch or 16ch will only cost a few dollars more, future proof.

4-WiFi is not reliable for security cams, after one or two cams, you overwhelm the Wifi network, and have all sorts of problems.
Use wire.
Thanks! I had read those Cliff Notes before I found this thread. A lot of good info there! And yes, I will definetely go for at least 8 channel version. Too bad if Wifi is not reliable though. I wonder why they even make Wifi cameras then if those block your wifi Network so easily? I thought I read someone using Wifi versions successfully (don't know if there was more than one wifi camera though). Would be so much easier to install those around my shed, where power is available easily but for PoE I would need to dig Network cable under my lawn across my yard...

2. Masking stays where applied.
Excellent! Thanks a lot for those pictures, that's exactly what I meant, didn't thought it was possible though as I thought it takes too much processor power for cameras to handle that when camera rotates... But I am glad that works! Yellow squares are not pretty but they will do their purpose... I don't suppose there is freehand tool for masking instead of squares? :)

RicRat2009

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Excellent! Thanks a lot for those pictures, that's exactly what I meant, didn't thought it was possible though as I thought it takes too much processor power for cameras to handle that when camera rotates... But I am glad that works! Yellow squares are not pretty but they will do their purpose... I don't suppose there is freehand tool for masking instead of squares? :)
Just rectangle or square that I saw, but you can choose different colors, black if you prefer.
I believe you are limited to four masking zones.

Gilean

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Just rectangle or square that I saw, but you can choose different colors, black if you prefer.
I believe you are limited to four masking zones.
Thanks! Four masking zones is not much for PTZ camera that can potentially see a lot, but then again, I guess it will be enough as I can basically just draw one big square across my neighbours yard on one side and then another big square to another side :)

trauts14

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I thought it was. I just moved it down the the 16 Port POE+ Ubiquiti switch in the basement and it fired right up and I was able to connect. I guess the 8 port wasn't strong enough
glad it worked. don't some of the 802.3at unifi switches require you to set the port to POE+ via the unifi controller?

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I wonder why they even make Wifi cameras then if those block your wifi Network so easily?
In some environments, a WiFi camera may work well. But when it doesn’t, troubleshooting WiFi (in-depth) isn’t the easiest, and it ends up frustrating most people.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I wonder why they even make Wifi cameras then if those block your wifi Network so easily? :)
Because people buy them. If you only have one or two, then you can typically get them to work. But I bet we'd be surprised at how many of them end up in the trash after 6 months.

SkyLake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I had to get one of these camera's, and i'm in love with the quality it has.

I still have to mount it, so i'm now bench testing all the features etc. But i have a question for the people who have mounted this camera.
I have a textured brick wall. They have multiple
wave forms and depth / height differences, so th
e seal it comes with will not be tight against the wall in my opinion. Mounting it on the PFA151 corner bracket is an option with the seal against the bracket, but the extra holes in the bracket will still be open. How did you guys weatherproof the cable bundle (alarm, dc socket, audio cables) to prevent it from getting wet or condensed? I was thinking about putting the cable inside a waterproof electrical housing, and put it right next to the camera. But the whole cable does obviously not fit thru a cable gland that will compress the round rubber seal small enough to get tight around the smallest part of the cable.

Maybe you could post any pictures of your solutions. This would be nice.

Thanks in advance, SkyLake

EDIT: I have maybe found the solution for the junctionbox. A split gland :D

Last edited:

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
A person needs a PoE+ for this to work right? I have a regular PoE switch with still some open ports. Is there a single device I could buy that I could add to an open port to make it work without buying a new switch? How much power does it need from the swtich?

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
That is pretty reasonable for sure. I did find a BV-Tech 8 port PoE+ for $93 on Amazon. I may want to look at that also I guess. Not too bad of a price.