Dahua 2MP Starlight Lineup

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
verify with your seller that the NVR you want includes IVS support; if it does it should be pretty simple to hook a strobe up @ the NVR and have the camera's linecross trigger it for a few seconds.

IVS is an optional feature for most NVR's, if you dont double check before buying you might not get it.

Thank you for the head up, I will check with seller first

What are your thought on 4231 as a front door camera? Do you think the 3.8mm lens is wide and close enough to cover the front door entrance way?

I plan to put 5231 on the corner of the house pointing to the walkway of the front door when more come in stock. But only the 4231 will be my trigger point to alert us someone at the door before they ring our doorbell (We have a light flasher when door bell is pressed).

Any feedback or advice is greatly welcomed!

Thank you
Bill

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
verify with your seller that the NVR you want includes IVS support; if it does it should be pretty simple to hook a strobe up @ the NVR and have the camera's linecross trigger it for a few seconds.

IVS is an optional feature for most NVR's, if you dont double check before buying you might not get it.
Thank for the warning.

I just chatted with the seller and he said this model does not have the IVS. He said only the Ultra models NVR have the IVS. And the cheapest Ultra model NVR is the NVR608-32-4KS2 which cost 540.00 . He said there no 16 or 8 channel NVR with IVS.

Maybe I will just use Sandisk memory card to store recording temporary until tax refund time to get the NVR608-32-4KS2. At our old house, we been using Sandisk to store recordings and an android streaming box with TinyCam apps to monitor the doors.

Bill

j4co

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thank for the warning.

I just chatted with the seller and he said this model does not have the IVS. He said only the Ultra models NVR have the IVS. And the cheapest Ultra model NVR is the NVR608-32-4KS2 which cost 540.00 . He said there no 16 or 8 channel NVR with IVS.

Maybe I will just use Sandisk memory card to store recording temporary until tax refund time to get the NVR608-32-4KS2. At our old house, we been using Sandisk to store recordings and an android streaming box with TinyCam apps to monitor the doors.

Bill
Are they correct ?

IF you check the wiki pages: USA/NVR/Pro/DHI NVR52A16 16P 4KS2 - Dahua Wiki
a 5A16 4Ks2 (USA) should support things like tripwire etc as well.
An 6A08 modell (USA) is having same icons for IVS function: USA/NVR/Super/DHI NVR6A08 32 4K - Dahua Wiki

From discussion on this forum it is more the firmware version that activates IVS or not, even in same hardware types..
So perhaps Nayr means your supplier needs to confirm he has firmware which activates IVS.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Are they correct ?

IF you check the wiki pages: USA/NVR/Pro/DHI NVR52A16 16P 4KS2 - Dahua Wiki
a 5A16 4Ks2 (USA) should support things like tripwire etc as well.
An 6A08 modell (USA) is having same icons for IVS function: USA/NVR/Super/DHI NVR6A08 32 4K - Dahua Wiki

From discussion on this forum it is more the firmware version that activates IVS or not, even in same hardware types..
So perhaps Nayr means your supplier needs to confirm he has firmware which activates IVS.
I just sent PM to several different sellers to see if I can find one who know what they talking about on the IVS features

In one other post, one of the member posted that he did upgraded firmware which removed the IVS features that he had to downgrade to get it back

Maybe Dahua is changing their product lines and what features it includes in future NVR production

Bill

j4co

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
It is a bit sad that this is so unclear.

I once was lead to believe only camera modells with I in the name (link GNI at the end) support IVS.
This turned out to be false, as the SD22204 mini ptz i have supports IVS with the firmware it came with.

The first search i just did give this link to a review of 4216-4K nvr which has IVS clearly: Dahua 16CH NVR4216 4K - Dahua CCTV - CCTV & Surveillance Systems Viewtech Vehicle & Survelliance Technology

So i think it must indeed be firmware that enables this, and it is very wise to have seller confirm he will deliver the correct firmware.
Hopefully they are skilled enough to even test that (i found the EU sellers i mailed to lack knowlegde)
So that was one of the reasons i choose the aliexpress sellers. If no support, better buy the cheapest one :)

LittleScoobyMaster

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This covers the new 1/2.8" Sony Exmor-R powered cameras that are considerably more affordable than the previous 1/1.9" Sony Exmor Starlight lineup...
How do the 1/1.9" Starlights compare in terms of light sensitivity? Curious if they are pretty close or not to the newer 1/2.8" versions. For example, this one is the older style:

wholesale DAHUA IPC-HF8281E - DAHUA IPC-HF8281E 2MP Starlight Ultra-smart Network Camera IPC-HF8281E review

Is there a percentage amount of which the new ones are more sensitive? Sometimes the lux levels don't always show the whole picture. Curious if the older starlights might be close or not for those who can't wait for the turret to get in stock.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
1/1.9 Starlight = IMX185 Exmor (specs)
1/2.8 Starlight = IMX290 Exmor-R (specs)

On spec sheet the 1/1.9 is slightly more sensitive, but not enough to justify the cost premium.. You'll get further combining a $100 Standard Dahua with $60 IR Cannon money wise; but for that kind of money you should just hold your horses and get one of these at the same price that includes varifocal and better image quality.

Check out the: IPC-HFW8630E-Z | Dahua Technology its not as sensitive as the 2MP Starlights but its the same IMX178 found in the Longse Low Light destroyer and it comes with a 16mm varifocal lens.. If your looking for a UHD Camera that's good in low light then its the best option on the market.

Last edited:

morpheus

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
btw. I've ordered the Dahua IMX178 dome some weeks ago. :)

LittleScoobyMaster

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
1/1.9 Starlight = IMX185 Exmor (specs)
1/2.8 Starlight = IMX290 Exmor-R (specs)

On spec sheet the 1/1.9 is slightly more sensitive, but not enough to justify the cost premium.. You'll get further combining a $100 Standard Dahua with $60 IR Cannon money wise; but for that kind of money you should just hold your horses and get one of these at the same price that includes varifocal and better image quality.

Check out the: IPC-HFW8630E-Z | Dahua Technology its not as sensitive as the 2MP Starlights but its the same IMX178 found in the Longse Low Light destroyer and it comes with a 16mm varifocal lens.. If your looking for a UHD Camera that's good in low light then its the best option on the market.
Man these IMX sensors are all over the board in terms of which one is the best. I wish they would have labeled them in a way that makes a little more sense.

For example, if you want one of the best GPU's, you could know that all you really need is almost any GTX1080.

With the IMX chips, they are a little more confusing.

Is IMX178 better than IMX185?

I know the IMX also have resolution variations as well which is part of the problem.

Also, I thought Exmor R was replacing Exmor. Is that the case?

Why are the newer 1.8's not as sensitive as the older 1.9's?

Virag Jain

n3wb
Reaction score
Anyone know how much are the IPC-HFW5231E-Z and if they are shipping yet? Apologies if asked and answered already, my search came up empty.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Many thanks Looney. Is this seller known on these boards like empire candy? I do have a message out to him as well.
It's EmpireTecAndy (Empire/Tec/Andy). Many folks including myself here ordered Starlight IPC and Dahua NVR from Andy. I haven't received mine but I can see that Andy had provide good service to other here and he was honest on what he had in stock or if he was out of stock etc.

Also Andy seem to be on top things when it comes to new products or firmware.

Andy's store is at --Starlight 2MP - Shop Cheap --Starlight 2MP from China --Starlight 2MP Suppliers at Empire Technology Co., Ltd on Aliexpress.com and it have good rating.

Bill

Virag Jain

n3wb
Reaction score
I have no knowledge of this seller. But the ratings at the top of the page is good.
Many thanks again, I do have a reply from Andy and he is top rated and selling for $170. You rock for taking the time to answer!

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
My IPC-HDW4231EM-AS and NVR5216-4KS2 arrvied. I ordered both from Andy on Dec 13th and received it yesterday which is 19th so that a total of 6 days from China to Missouri, USA. Thank you Andy for speedy shipping!

My first choice was IPC-HDW5231R-Z but it was out of stock everywhere and I wanted a camera now to test it with the NVR5216. I still plan to order the 5231 when it's back in stock to install around the perimeter of the house.

I probably will put the 4231 which I received yesterday inside my garage since anytime anyone open the garage door, the lights come on.

Bill

MakoMillenium

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Turrets and water ingress. I spent today sealing up leaks on 4 turrets. Two were leaking on the black ring interface that separates the lens glass from the IR glass. I used UV cure clear adhesive. Another with a single IR was leaking via the IR glass, same fix and the last was a HDCVI turret leaking via the zoom and focus adjuster shafts, dried it out and plugged the recess with lanolin (had it handy) but I suspect temperature differtential may pop it out so I may have to vent the body. Off topic but mentioned above re turrets.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
the starlight turret I received had a silica packet shoved inside; but Ive seen problems like that with camera imports.. often you need to let them acclimate to the new environment since humidity and air pressure changes had to occur since it was assembled in China.. I get poped seals because of the less dence air a mile high all the time; buy a bag of chips at sea-level and drive it up here and if it hasent exploded it'll be super-inflated and ready to pop open with the slightest disturbance.. stupid K-Cups explode in the package all the time; and those bastards are not cheap.

MakoMillenium

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Also IR when on, warms the camera significantly then rain wets and cools it and water is drawn in.