Dahua 4K PTZ DH-SD8A820WA-HNF

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
I adjusted the focus a little more to bring objects in the fore ground a little clearer. However the distant objects are a little less clear. Maybe I need to tweak it some more for a better balance. It is a fine line. This is one interesting camera.

Camera 6F 04022020 Refocus.jpg

Last edited:

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
That looks spot on very detailed all over, I think you have nailed the focus.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Only way I could see of making it better would be a slight tweak of the white balance at night. Still a slight yellow cast from the street lights. Other than that, excellent.

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
I loved it that you manually seem to have dialed in the focus. It definitely looks much more sharper and crisp !! Like the quality of the camera both in day and night !

Quick question how do you keep the focus on a PTZ ?

I mean if I manually dial a focus. Then when thru out the day when PTZ Preset changes depending on the sunset and sun rise it will be looking at different area and also when it auto tracks.. at times.. So How do you keep the Focus on every preset If you are using the PTZ functions ?

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
I will have to wait and see on the focus. So far so good. Now the Hikvision PTZ would sometimes get out of focus, but not all that often. All I had to do was zoom in and then hit the "home" preset. As to the white balance, I will have to look into that. That is something I have not done before. I am still in the learning mode with this camera.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Is there anything wrong with autofocus that doesn’t adapt to your liking? Are there profiles that you can choose to dial in for the autofocus settings that suit for different situations? At this price point, something like that sounds appropriate to put in place. I feel like it should tie in with the AI Dahua is trying to promote

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Is there anything wrong with autofocus that doesn’t adapt to your liking? Are there profiles that you can choose to dial in for the autofocus settings that suit for different situations? At this price point, something like that sounds appropriate to put in place. I feel like it should tie in with the AI Dahua is trying to promote
The auto focus seems to work. It is just in the "home" position that I have to fine tune it. It wants to adjust for something further out like where the camera is pointed and then the near focus is not quite what I would like. I am trying to have it both ways. :) I was playing with it and the NVR and now the NVR has setup 2MP for this camera as the highest setting again. I will play with it tomorrow. I have the white setting on auto. Maybe I should set it to outdoors. Something I have not played with before.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Well, this camera sure has been a learning curve. I increased the bit rate to 9600 for the 265 compression that I am using. I changed everything to outdoors. Things are getting better. I also lowered the speed of the focus and zoom just in case I still need to fine tune. As to the color, there is vivid, normal and soft. I left it in the normal setting. Here is a picture from this morning with the NVR showing 4K again. :) I am feeling real good about this camera. Hell, even the back of the stop sign is now in focus. Hahahaha

Dahua 4K Focus Adjustment 04042020.jpgDahua 4K Focus Adjustment 04042020.jpg

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
I loved it that you manually seem to have dialed in the focus. It definitely looks much more sharper and crisp !! Like the quality of the camera both in day and night !

Quick question how do you keep the focus on a PTZ ?

I mean if I manually dial a focus. Then when thru out the day when PTZ Preset changes depending on the sunset and sun rise it will be looking at different area and also when it auto tracks.. at times.. So How do you keep the Focus on every preset If you are using the PTZ functions ?
I only have one preset and that is what I call the home position. If I want to zoom in on an object it will automatically focus.

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
I only have one preset and that is what I call the home position. If I want to zoom in on an object it will automatically focus.
Thank you Parley ! That is what I thought I was like will ask anyways maybe you have figured out of way to have manual focus on multiple presets.

I have multiple presets which changes camera direction thru out the day. But I am glad you like the camera. I really am tempted to get this one but will hold specially rite now with this Shelter in place going on. Thank you so much parley for putting out the pictures and giving all of us a look at it. It looks awesome ! I do know one thing though my street lights are way less than your area. If I get this camera, It be interesting to see how it does on my street again Congratulations !

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Id take bitrate to 14,410 and ease it down little by little if a high bitrate is a concern to you for some reason, until you see image degradation. Even 9600 seems low for that camera.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Id take bitrate to 14,410 and ease it down little by little if a high bitrate is a concern to you for some reason, until you see image degradation. Even 9600 seems low for that camera.
From another post and using the H.265 standard. "I used the calculator and it gave me a bitrate of 8192bps for a 4k, highest quality and 15fps with H265 encoding."

I am using 18FPS and I saw a chart with something like 92xx for the bit rate and a 4K camera. I cannot seem to find that chart for the moment , but I fudged that number up a bit . Now if I was using H.264 I would need to be around 17000 to be safe. Also if I up the FPS than I would definitely need to bump up the bit rate to the level you recommend. So far so good and thank you for that thought. ;)

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Sounds good. I'm a more is better guy until proven otherwise, so I start with max everything and tone down until I see a difference. ;) Often n CCTV I see suggested specs that are primarily recommended to conserve bandwidth and/or storage not necessarily image quality.. Having neither problem, I crank things up!

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Sounds good. I'm a more is better guy until proven otherwise, so I start with max everything and tone down until I see a difference. ;) Often n CCTV I see suggested specs that are primarily recommended to conserve bandwidth and/or storage not necessarily image quality.. Having neither problem, I crank things up!
I will definitely keep that in mind. ;)

mech

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Depth of field will go up as you reduce the aperture, so if you're in the mood for experimentation, try taking the aperture down to like 30% open for the daytime mode. If it were me, I would definitely max out the bitrate.