Dahua 4k Starlight with 1/2 sensor (CVI only for now)

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

I'm still waiting for someone to try out this 4 lens monster mentioned by @Arjun ! :wow:
It's not cheap and it's not small. I see sites listing it for $1,400 or so but Andy said he could ship it for under $700. (..but wife said that is not happening for me. :nervous:)

I'm not sure how you would be able to usefully view it though.
It produces a long panorama blend of the 4 cameras. I don't think it has an option to connect to each of the 4 camera feeds individually.
So trying to watch it on a monitor, much less my BI phone app may not work well or at all I imagine.
It would be really cool though to have one camera image to monitor a whole yard overview in one image.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
I think it would take up too much of screen real estate, lol

On another note, would be great if they can fit a 1" sensor instead. I wonder how much more the price would be at that point, haha

I'm still waiting for someone to try out this 4 lens monster mentioned by @Arjun ! :wow:
It's not cheap and it's not small. I see sites listing it for $1,400 or so but Andy said he could ship it for under $700. (..but wife said that is not happening for me. :nervous:)

I'm not sure how you would be able to usefully view it though.
It produces a long panorama blend of the 4 cameras. I don't think it has an option to connect to each of the 4 camera feeds individually.
So trying to watch it on a monitor, much less my BI phone app may not work well or at all I imagine.
It would be really cool though to have one camera image to monitor a whole yard overview in one image.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
If the specs are true then it should be just barely better at low light than the existing 2MP starlights. They're showing "0.005Lux/F1.5, 30IRE, 0Lux IR on" for the 4K varifocal turret versus "0.006Lux/F1.4 ( Color,1/3s,30IRE)" for the 2MP varifocal turret. So I am afraid that $300-400 each is probably accurate. Though if it comes in somehow below $300 then I'll probably buy two to start with, maybe more in the future. Lower than $200 and my poor Blue Iris server is going to melt.
Surely just matching existing low light performance in a higher mp format is a step forward atm, although I'm sure we all want better performance and crave the type of performance seen in some digital SLR's. It will be interesting to see which sensor is used, when someone finally gets their hands on one.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
These look like the next round of higher picture quality cameras. I started out with cameras that had a 1/3" sensor. I have replaced all of those with the starlight type 1/2.8" sensors. I am in the process of replacing some of those with a 1/1.9 or .8" sensor. If these cameras pan out I will be having a 4th round of replacement. Hahahahaha

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
There's a video or 2 of the DAHUA 4K CVI - HAC-HFW3802E-Z camera on Youtube, which uses the 1/2" CMOS STARVIS:

This 1st video doesn't look impressive at 1st glance until you pause it and realise that despite the speed, you can perfectly read the number plates of the cars passing under the camera. eg. I paused it at 6 secs and could perfectly read both the van and car number plates.

The demo of the low light capability in this vid, is also quite impressive (1st camera up is 720p non starvis):

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks for the youtube links.. looks great, and cant wait for the POE ip versions....

Jmtyra

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've got a large area to cover that would be great for a high resolution camera like these 4k starlights. Assuming, like others said, the price is right for the WAF part lol. ;)

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Looks good as far as daytime is concerned, pack a lot of pixel density in those high-dens cams
There's a video or 2 of the DAHUA 4K CVI - HAC-HFW3802E-Z camera on Youtube, which uses the 1/2" CMOS STARVIS:

This 1st video doesn't look impressive at 1st glance until you pause it and realise that despite the speed, you can perfectly read the number plates of the cars passing under the camera. eg. I paused it at 6 secs and could perfectly read both the van and car number plates.

The demo of the low light capability in this vid, is also quite impressive (1st camera up is 720p non starvis):

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Not sure what would be an appropriate setting for mounting this, protrudes out a lot, haha
Its like 3 cams in 1 :lol:

I like the "ePTZ" setting display on the multi sensor model

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I wonder how that compares to the 3x and 4x 2mp starlight IP versions for eptz and night view?

Reaction score
Is there any way to find out if Dahua is using the Sony IMX334 in any of its cameras? This would be really exciting if confirmed!

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
CVI / IP side by side comparison...

One thing worth noting about CVI- no lag. Notice the slight lag/delay on the IP cams. Ive noticed this on my own systems.

apmonte

n3wb
Reaction score
Definitely interested in these in an POE IP configuration. I've been holding off on completing my camera setup until something starlight came out in higher resolution. These look to fit the bill.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Definitely interested in these in an POE IP configuration. I've been holding off on completing my camera setup until something starlight came out in higher resolution. These look to fit the bill.
they wont be cheap...be prepared to pay 300+

toolazyforalogin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
+1. I just ordered 4 x IPC-HDW5231E-ze from Andy and was going to order 3 x
IPC-HDW5831E-ze after this first order arrived. Now I might hold off until these are available.

I know they have not been officially released yet but if you were going to anticipate when these might be readily available based on similar circumstances in the past, when would anyone guess we could get our hands on these?

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Why 5MP? Why not just 2,4,8 options etc?

Does the "starlight" tech make any difference when in B|W IR mode or is it only when in color \ no IR mode?

Reaction score
Most of the starlight cameras I've seen don't have IR cut filters, so it usually acts as a replacement rather than supplementary. Although if you have *really* low light/no light conditions, I think you'll need something with IR.

EDIT, this was misinformation so I crossed it out

Last edited: