Dahua 4k Starlight with 1/2 sensor (CVI only for now)

sirotkaslo

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,
I like this 2831 model, whats the current price on it? Seems its a better overall option than the 5231R-ZE?
thanks

tomw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Looking at buying some of the new 1/1.8" sensor domes from Andy.

I want the IPC-HFW1831E but in a dome as the reviews are great (I can not see one on the dome version?).

Before I get all excited, is the IPC-HDBW1831R the dome version of IPC-HFW1831E ??

Here (not Andy) Free Shipping Security IP Camera 8MP WDR Waterproof IR Dome Network Camera With POE IP67 IK10 without Logo IPC HDBW1831R-in Surveillance Cameras from Security & Protection on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
and https://www.dahuasecurity.com/products/productDetail/21477

If confirmed it is the same sensor, I'll email Andy to ask if he can get a couple. kingsecurity2014@163.com

Last edited by a moderator:

tomw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
ok, answer is yes, it's the same sensor in a dome form factor. Andy does not stock it....but I assume could order it especially - but he mentions that it has the usual dome issues (IR flare on dome etc).

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
They are pretty good. A definite improvement over older 4K models of similar price, but 2MP starlights are still a definite improvement over these in very low light.

sirotkaslo

n3wb
Reaction score
I got myself one of those and they perform really well.
Excuse the mess, house not finished yet, so I have everything imaginable in my garage during the winter.

Only tested it in my garage, these are iphone screenshots using idmss plus and everything set to default.

Zoomed out
IMG_2860.PNG

zoomed in
IMG_2861.PNG

Low light color
IMG_2862.PNG

low light B&W
IMG_2863.PNG

Iphone 8 pic:iphone.jpg

Tuan

n3wb
Reaction score

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I got myself one of those and they perform really well.
Excuse the mess, house not finished yet, so I have everything imaginable in my garage during the winter.

Only tested it in my garage, these are iphone screenshots using idmss plus and everything set to default.
You call that a mess?!? I wish my garage looked that good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

sirotkaslo

n3wb
Reaction score
You call that a mess?!? I wish my garage looked that good!
Yeah, I usually have a much neater garage :D

Which bike do you like best?
huh, they are two completely different bikes, but if I had to pick one, I'd go with the Ducati any time. There just is something about the L-twin engine that makes my heart race everytime I start it up.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Any update yet as to when a turret version might be available?

sirotkaslo

n3wb
Reaction score
I have issues with email notifications and I saw that there is a bug in the FW, is there any recent version that fixes this issue? thanks

MikeyTech8

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@CCTVCam

A7s is a fairly old camera announced back in 2014. There is already A7SIII on the market. I wouldn't compare it to any CCTV cam, as its a full frame sensor camera. Its sensor area is 35 times larger than 1/2.5 inch sensor from for example HDW5831R-Z. Also consider that while the sensor in A7s has 4240 x 2832 pixels, it is recording only fullHD video. Downsized video is averaged from the whole sensor area. Thanks to this the noise level is a bit lower. The video material was post processed with Neat Video, which is a widely used noise reduction plugin. Some shots on the beach were shot at ISO80000 and f1.4 lens. For a full frame sensor it is not a big deal to go that high and get decent result. With my 4239T-ASE I would get identical brightness of this scene with 70% gain, which is an equivalent of ISO40000 plus f1.0 lens.

I have to agree, the bitrate is too low for 4K cams from Dahua. A maximum of 10Mbps is not enough to keep up with all the details the camera is delivering. However after turning on smart codec I noticed a significant improvement of the quality. So I highly recommend using smart codec for a 4K cam. The A7s uses 50Mbps codec. My Panasonic FZ1000 uses 100Mbps for 4K video.
Hey, I did you suggestion and turned on smart codec for the 4k camera IPC-HFW2831T-ZS. However, it automatically switches from CBR to VBR..Should I go ahead and switch back to CBR while smart codec is on ? and then set the bitrate to 8000+? sorry for the nuisance.