Dahua 4MP Starlight Lineup

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
What can I expect from this 5MP wedge camera, compared to the 2MP one? I already have the 2MP, but I haven't installed it yet. Better daytime images and that is about it?

Night-Owl

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hello All,

Is their a upgrade to the IPC-HFW5231E-Z5 ?.

I have the above and its the only camera i am aware of that could get a good facial picture at say 30 metres using only the cameras built in ir and as such was going to recommend to someone who has this criteria to buy one but before i do, i was interested if a newer model is available that replaces this. He would be using as an additional camera onto an existing lorex 4k cctv kit, like i do. Thank you

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm surprised this model hasn't been mentioned before, good find

Here is a mini-dome wedge camera I found interesting. It has the 1/1.8" sensor and is 4MP. It can fit in a corner.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello All,

Is their a upgrade to the IPC-HFW5231E-Z5 ?.

I have the above and its the only camera i am aware of that could get a good facial picture at say 30 metres using only the cameras built in ir and as such was going to recommend to someone who has this criteria to buy one but before i do, i was interested if a newer model is available that replaces this. He would be using as an additional camera onto an existing lorex 4k cctv kit, like i do. Thank you
Take a look at the one below (IPC-HFW5442E-Z4E). The zoom is a little different (8mm-32mm vs 7mm-35mm) but it's 4MP (vs 2MP) and the bigger image sensor (1/1.8") should do better in low-light than the 5231 (1/2.8")

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Time to update the OP again :p

Night-Owl

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Take a look at the one below (IPC-HFW5442E-Z4E). The zoom is a little different (8mm-32mm vs 7mm-35mm) but it's 4MP (vs 2MP) and the bigger image sensor (1/1.8") should do better in low-light than the 5231 (1/2.8")

Thank you, i will get a qoute for one

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score

I have two of those cameras and they are excellent with very good night vision.

Night-Owl

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have two of those cameras and they are excellent with very good night vision.
Thank you for Advising I have asked Andy for a qoute including shipping to the UK. I note the AI part and am thinking i will be wasting this function as i have no nvr etc that could make use of it, i have only a simple 4k lorex nvr and view footage on my mobile using gdmss lite. Anyone making use of this function ? Could you take a face shot and then point some software at a list of social media sites and it would scan all those sites to see if the face appears on them ?. That would be a great feature.

Reaction score
I have six Dahua IPC-HDW3441TM-AS on order that should be here by the end of next month. The price was less than the IPC-HDW2431T-AS-S2's I bought last week by about $6, the only downside is having to wait but I don't mind. I'm coming from an old analog Lorex DVR system so everything is an improvement.

It should be noted that Dahua lists the same model number twice with two different specifications. One is listed with "1/2.7”4Megapixel progressive CMOS" and the other is listed as "1/3” 4Megapixel progressive CMOS"... weird?

Last edited:
Reaction score
The ad stated it was 1/2.7" in the written features and in the description. I will probably take them apart to check the sensor and if it's not I will dispute it.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
DIsclaimer: a 4MP, 1/3”, 1/2.7" CMOS image sensor is not in the same league as the 4MP 1/1.8" Sensor

Reaction score
Ha, I'm jumping ahead of myself here, thanks for stressing on that, lol. Sensor Size is obviously a bigger deciding factor when it comes to choosing between the Lite and Pro series; obviously the 1/1.8" sensor is a win in my books :D

Now we wait for a 4mp 1/1.8" Starlight Turret ;)
Any ideas or rumors on when these will be available? I'm not in any rush and have some time to wait. Getting a turret with the biggest sensor and best possible night vision capabilities is a top priority.