Dahua and ONVIF authentication

patters

n3wb
Reaction score
There are two official apps with DMSS in the name. They were released back in the Windows Phone 8 days. On Windows 10 Mobile, one app does not work at all, the other (might be the one you suggest) works but it loses its entire config each time it restarts so you have to configure the camera each time.

TVT73

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I am absolutely sure, that my customer didn´t loose his app settings on his nokia phone. But after a few weeks he changed to iphone. I am not 100% sure, but it was the version with the best camera, i mean this is lumia 920?
Does your one loses its config after app restart or after phone restart? With loosing you mean, that you need to configure and search the cam again, or that it wouldn´t start with a connected cam? this behaviour has also the android app. Because of this my favourite is also a free android app, tinycam monitor. But only with the manufacture app its possible to watch recordings.

patters

n3wb
Reaction score
Just tested out DMSS and wDMSS Lite apps for Windows 10 Mobile. Neither will even show the primary video stream (1080p). They don't offer the substreams which is disappointing. Looks like wDMSS Plus has even been pulled from the store.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
there is really little point in viewing a 1080p main stream on a mobile device..

patters

n3wb
Reaction score
I want to archive my motion triggered footage to the SD card at 1080p, because detail could be important. The main stream is the only one that can encode at 1080p so I have to use the main stream for this purpose, regardless of my mobile viewing preferences. That's why these apps are so limited. There is a mechanism to provide choice, and they fail to implement it. I have a 1440p mobile device btw, and often connect to the camera while at home just to take a peek if I hear that a car has pulled up.

By using VLC on my phone I can use the MJPEG if I'm on cellular connection, or the 720p 3rd stream for detail. But I lose PTZ control unless I fire off HTTPS POSTS.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
you can use 1080p MJPEG on a Cellular connection? what are you on 5g or something? I find that hard to believe.

patters

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm getting a bit tired of your abrasive attitude. Where in my posts did I mention the resolution of the MJPEG substream? Clue: it's not HD.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
still thats the most terrible encoding to use on a limited connection; but what do I know..

If you cant get DSS to work on Windows Phone, how are you accessing recordings off the SD card? via the WebUI?

your on a public forum; either deal with my attitude or leave.. cuz im not going anywhere.

patters

n3wb
Reaction score
Well we agree on that much. Sadly the IP CENTCOM app makes you have one H.264 and one MJPEG stream otherwise it doesn't work properly.

patters

n3wb
Reaction score
I have one camera because I chose to get a single PTZ rather than several fixed cameras. I can therefore do without an NVR or a software NVR on a computer. I had tried this before with a loan camera and found it slowed my NAS down quite a lot so the SD card is a great solution. If someone breaks into a car outside my house, I will use the WebUI to recover 1080p footage of that event.

But what do I know. I don't use the camera in the precise way that you anticipate so I must be doing it wrong.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
well you are definitely trying to make this as hard as humanly possible on your self, must be a masochist if your willing to write a custom interface just to keep your convoluted equipment/software and configuration.

you know a PTZ can only watch one thing at a time right? if its not looking at your car when someone breaks in then its not going to have anything usefull.. using a PTZ rather than a bunch of fixed cameras only really works well if your a security guard and always there to point it at whatever's most interesting.

ever thought about just buying a cheap android tablet for this role? there's numerous 3rd party apps that work just fine w/dahua PTZ's and the gDMSS app works acceptably for live view and playback even w/out a NVR... Sounds like most of your problems stem from your mobile OS has no apps worth a shit.

epcjay

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I googled and came to this thread. For anyone who cares about ONVIF on Dahua, what you need to do first is setup on the webgui to have no authentication first. Login using ONVIF Device Manager and you should not need a password with access to admin controls. Go to "user management" and it should already have an admin account created. I am guessing because this pre-made admin account has a blank password, it does not authenticate. For my own sake, I created a separate admin account under here with a password of my choosing. I then went back to the WebGUI and re-enabled authentication. I used the newly created admin account/password to login as ONVIF.

wall46

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm new here. And a bloody German with poor English :)

I own a Dahua SD22204T-GN and never managed it to run with ONVIFer on
my smart fones. (Moto E2015 and G4+)
Always plagued by the bloody "authentication error"
However tinyCam FREE worked all the time! But tinyCamFREE is very slow.
I've setup my cam with a modified PW to login via Dahua's webgui for
http/IE11/W7ultimateX86.
I never managed the onvifer test hurdle 'authentication' in my smart fones :(

After nearly 1 year searching for a solution in the net and hundreds of non
working tips, I stumbled in here. I understand nearly nothing from this thread,
when epcjay mentioned, to disable authentication and setup new passwords,
I got an idea:

What if Dahua didn't change passwords except the http one?

I tried to test it via onvifer with the admin/password combination
user/user and voila, it works like a charm and immediate!

I think, that Dahua webgui only modifies the password for http and
never for the other accesses like for ONVIF :(((

Hope it will work for others too :)))

Last edited:

adamg

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
What if Dahua didn't change passwords except the http one?

I tried to test it via onvifer with the admin/password combination
user/user and voila, it works like a charm and immediate!

I think, that Dahua webgui only modifies the password for http and
never for the other accesses like for ONVIF :(((

Hope it will work for others too :)))
Yes you are correct. However it is very inconsistent among a pool of Dahua cameras. For instance I am dealing with hundreds of the same model of Dahua camera, and about 10% of them, after changing the admin password, still require admin/admin for ONVIF connection (the other 85% use admin/(new password)). And a final 5%, neither admin/admin nor admin(new password) work for ONVIF login, and I have to create a dedicated ONVIF-type account for ONVIF login.

wall46

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes you are correct. However it is very inconsistent among a pool of Dahua cameras. For instance I am dealing with hundreds of the same model of Dahua camera, and about 10% of them, after changing the admin password, still require admin/admin for ONVIF connection (the other 85% use admin/(new password)). And a final 5%, neither admin/admin nor admin(new password) work for ONVIF login, and I have to create a dedicated ONVIF-type account for ONVIF login.
So better not to change the password :((( It might be a solution for small home projects... But for big business?
Shame on Dahua!

wall46

n3wb
Reaction score
Just for the records here my version:

\ SD22204_inf.txt wall20180906

Device Type
DH-SD22204T-GN

Software Version
2.422.0000.3.R.4.484, Build Date: 2016-11-21

WEB Version

ONVIF Version

S/N
3E07556PAM00172
\ ---
Hopefully this info helps a little bit on investigation. Seems it belongs to the 10% admin/admin group. :eek:
THX for your help.