Dahua cam dropping off the network each night.

Euly

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Like software, I prefer to keep the firmware on my cameras as up to date as possible. There is an argument against updating firmware, but I see the matter as the potential to fix bugs and vulnerabilities.

In the picture you posted, that switch is a Trendnet Green, which concerns me slightly because it has "power saving" features. From what I understand about it, the switch will shutdown unused ports, but that implies it's shutting down the ports appropriately (to its discretion). I think you already ruled out that switch, but still, anytime I use equipment like that, I'm apprehensive as to how it saves power.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Like software, I prefer to keep the firmware on my cameras as up to date as possible. There is an argument against updating firmware, but I see the matter as the potential to fix bugs and vulnerabilities.
Note that a firmware update will do nothing with respect to vulnerabilities unless you foolishly port forward the cameras.

Euly

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Note that a firmware update will do nothing with respect to vulnerabilities unless you foolishly port forward the cameras.
What would be the point of a firmware update then? The changelogs often note fixes and additional features, so that's not correct?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
What would be the point of a firmware update then? The changelogs often note fixes and additional features, so that's not correct?
It may have fixes and additional features however at the same time can generate a new issue that was not present before. My point simply was that there is no security benefit with respect to vulnerabilities because the camera should never be exposed to the net from the get go.

Euly

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It may have fixes and additional features however at the same time can generate a new issue that was not present before. My point simply was that there is no security benefit with respect to vulnerabilities because the camera should never be exposed to the net from the get go.
That's a good point. My thought process was more on the internal side of the network, such as a vulnerability to something innocuous (not necessarily malicious), like incompatible requests that cause the camera to behave abnormally - which I suppose is more of a bug.

Ronnie Bailey

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

In the picture you posted, that switch is a Trendnet Green, which concerns me slightly because it has "power saving" features. From what I understand about it, the switch will shutdown unused ports, but that implies it's shutting down the ports appropriately (to its discretion). I think you already ruled out that switch, but still, anytime I use equipment like that, I'm apprehensive as to how it saves power.
will this be a better switch?? I am digging in my junk drawer now.

switch 2.jpg

switch 1.jpg

Ronnie Bailey

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

I have a bad habit of updating firmware's, that is why I have so many devices. Years and years ago, When I built my first computer, I flashed the bios firmware, and bricked my motherboard. Everyone I called for help, the first thing they asked was "Why did you flash your bios"? My reply was "because I can".. :)

Euly

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That D-Link will work.
I can understand your apprehension about updating the firmware. I've had the same experience. Some things change and others don't. We're seeing more fail-safe features now, but just as fenderman mentioned, firmware can fix one thing and break another. With my old Dahua IPC-HFW4300S bullet, it was constantly disconnecting from the network. I chalked it up to the camera slowly dying and only used it as a live feed. Then, I couple week ago, I stumbled on newer firmware for the camera. I updated the firmware and camera and it stopped disconnecting. I had troubleshooted that thing for days. I reset it back to factory settings multiple times. I tried everything I could think of. Nothing had changed with it for two years before it started disconnecting. So, as far as I'm concerned, the update gave it a new life.

Last edited:

Ronnie Bailey

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That D-Link will work.
I can understand your apprehension about updating the firmware. I've had the same experience. Some things change and others don't. We're seeing more fail-safe features now, but just as fenderman mentioned, firmware can fix one thing and break another. With my old Dahua IPC-HFDW4300 bullet, it was constantly disconnecting from the network. I chalked it up to the camera slowly dying and only used it as a live feed. Then, I couple week ago, I stumbled on newer firmware for the camera. I updated the firmware and camera and it stopped disconnecting. I had troubleshooted that thing for days. I reset it back to factory settings multiple times. I tried everything I could think of. Nothing had changed with it for two years before it started disconnecting. So, as far as I'm concerned, the update gave it a new life.
I will update, when I find my cause of this camera and my other devices dropping off the nework, it is not just this camera.

Edit: I went ahead and tried to update my Dahua IP cam, but it failed.

"File unmatch, Upgrade failed! Some functions have been closed,reboot device now?"

Last edited:

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
Are your cameras configured to get their IP addresses via DHCP?
If so, it smells like you have a rogue DHCP server on the network.

I would take a long-running packet capture using Wireshark.
overnight, or until one or more devices 'fall off', specifically looking at DHCP traffic...

Ronnie Bailey

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Are your cameras configured to get their IP addresses via DHCP?
If so, it smells like you have a rogue DHCP server on the network.

I would take a long-running packet capture using Wireshark.
overnight, or until one or more devices 'fall off', specifically looking at DHCP traffic...
All my devices have reserved IPs. Some else suggested Wireshark, but I am not familiar with it. It was also suggested that there may be another DHCP server on my network, but at this time I **think** I have eliminated any devices from my network that could possibility be a second DHCP server.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
reserved IP's are assigned via DHCP. STATIC ip's (configured manually on each device) may or may not be in the DHCP server's dynamic range...

here's an idea: when your Dahua cam next falls off, run the Dahua config tool and see if you can find it.
I'll bet it's at an IP address that's off your main network subnet. that would confirm the rogue dhcp server theory.

Then it's a matter of tracking that sucker down. My 2 cents is that one of your various Linux devices has a (mis-configured) DHCP server running,
and is occasionally assigning an address to devices when they go to renew their DHCP leases and it manages to respond first.

you could reduce the incidents by configuring your REAL DHCP server (router) to hand out LONGER DHCP leases.
that way devices will renew less frequently and be less likely to get a response from the 'rogue' server, but it
will still happen...

Ronnie Bailey

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
reserved IP's are assigned via DHCP. STATIC ip's (configured manually on each device) may or may not be in the DHCP server's dynamic range...

here's an idea: when your Dahua cam next falls off, run the Dahua config tool and see if you can find it.
I'll bet it's at an IP address that's off your main network subnet. that would confirm the rogue dhcp server theory.

Then it's a matter of tracking that sucker down. My 2 cents is that one of your various Linux devices has a (mis-configured) DHCP server running,
and is occasionally assigning an address to devices when they go to renew their DHCP leases and it manages to respond first.

you could reduce the incidents by configuring your REAL DHCP server (router) to hand out LONGER DHCP leases.
that way devices will renew less frequently and be less likely to get a response from the 'rogue' server, but it
will still happen...
Your theory is probably correct, and has been suggested before. I have turned off almost every device, except my 5 IP cameras, networked tuner, and one Windows 10 microPC in my bedroom. Last night is the first night that my IP cam and networked tuner did not drop off the network. The last thing that I disconnected yesterday, was my Vorke V2 microPC that was running my Plex and Emby servers, perhaps that was the cause, but too early to tell.

I run the Advanced IP scanner from Windows, and it finds all my devices and will tell me if any of my devices have changed IPs.

toolazyforalogin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
not sure if this helps or not but doesn't that TrendNet Green switch enter power save mode if the cat5 (or cat 6) cable is under 3 meters? I remember needing to use longer cables for switches sitting next to my computer or the switch would enter low power mode and devices would drop off.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
sure, that ip scnanner will find things ON your network, but may not find them once they are OFF your network (ie, been assigned an ip address that's not in your main subnet adress range). the dahua (and hik) camera-finding tools use a lower-level protocol that works to find camera's not on the network segment (tho physically connected)...

Ronnie Bailey

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
not sure if this helps or not but doesn't that TrendNet Green switch enter power save mode if the cat5 (or cat 6) cable is under 3 meters? I remember needing to use longer cables for switches sitting next to my computer or the switch would enter low power mode and devices would drop off.
Interesting, I learn more each day....... thanks.

Ronnie Bailey

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
sure, that ip scnanner will find things ON your network, but may not find them once they are OFF your network (ie, been assigned an ip address that's not in your main subnet adress range). the dahua (and hik) camera-finding tools use a lower-level protocol that works to find camera's not on the network segment (tho physically connected)...
Thanks for that information, I will use the tool to see if it is connected with a different IP address. But, when I cycle the power for the cam, why does it go back to the IP address that I gave it??

Ronnie Bailey

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok, I replaced my Trendnet Green switch with my cheapie D-link 8 port switch. I moved the cat 6 cable going to my entertainment center to the D-link switch. I also, moved the cat 6 cable going to the basement to the D-link switch from the router. So now my router only has the cable going to the D-link switch and my desktop computer.

To be noted, when I removed the cables from the router, and connected them to the D-link 8 port switch. Both my networked tuner and my Dahua IP cam came back online very fast.

Ronnie Bailey

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Good news today. When I got up, first thing I check is to see if my IP cam and networked TV tuner are still on the network, and they were. This is 2 NIGHTS and days in a row that they did NOT drop off the network.

The last thing I disconnected 3 days ago was my Vorke V2 (Windows 10 microPC) running Plex and Emby servers. I also removed and replaced the HDHomeRun networked tuner that was dropping off the network each night (and day) along with the IP cam.

Yesterday, I replaced my Trendnet Green switch with a D-Link 8 port switch. I then moved my Cat 6 cables that feed 95% of my devices from my router to that 8 port D-link switch.

So, at this point I still don't know conclusively what is causing my issue.

Almost all of my devices have been disconnected from my network, and I will start adding them back into the system one or two at a time.

Today, I will put my TV tuner that was dropping off the network each night and sometimes during the day, back into the system.