Dahua cam dropping off the network each night.

Ronnie Bailey

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My entertainment center is in the living room. The other cat 6 cable is going to the basement and connects to the 8 port switch.
The router has been swapped from my Asus to my Trendnet. The 16 port switch was replace a week of so ago, thinking it was my problem. The 8 port switch is the basement has been replaced ( I applied the 48 volt power supply to it, boom!!).

Most of the devices have been take offline for about a week. When everything was connected to the network, all my (Linux) based devices would also drop of the network. That included my LibreELEC and CoreELEC devices.

Euly

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Alright, I probably spelled some stuff wrong, but here is your layout:

Euly

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What model is the Dahua camera? What version is the firmware?

Ronnie Bailey

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What model is the Dahua camera? What version is the firmware?
System Version2.640.0000002.0.R, Build Date: 2018-05-23
WEB VersionV3.2.1.582554
ONVIF Version16.12(V2.4.3.574996)
S/N4E0589DN6G5F7xx

I am looking for the model number. I don't see it using the web access.

Model number IPC-HDW2231R-ZS
Ordered it on 7/26/2018 from Andy Wang

Last edited:

Euly

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Since it's the 2.640.0000002.0.R, it's probably compatible with the newer 2018-8-13 firmware. Try updating it.
Latest New 20180813 Firmware for DH_IPC-HX5X3X-Rhea
I was having a similar issue with an older Dahua dropping off my network for a couple years. I thought it was just going bad, but I was only using it for live viewing, so I let it sit. The other day I found newer firmware for it, and it stopped dropping. That doesn't explain your other HDhomeRun dropping out, but perhaps it something in the configuration that's allowing some set of broadcasted packets to bug out the device.

Ronnie Bailey

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Since it's the 2.640.0000002.0.R, it's probably compatible with the newer 2018-8-13 firmware. Try updating it.
Latest New 20180813 Firmware for DH_IPC-HX5X3X-Rhea
I was having a similar issue with an older Dahua dropping off my network for a couple years. I thought it was just going bad, but I was only using it for live viewing, so I let it sit. The other day I found newer firmware for it, and it stopped dropping. That doesn't explain your other HDhomeRun dropping out, but perhaps it something in the configuration that's allowing some set of broadcasted packets to bug out the device.
There are two files, one indicates that it is English, is that the one I use?

Edit: I tried to flash this firmware, but it failed to install...... DH_IPC-HX5X3X-Rhea_Eng_P_Stream3_V2.622.0000000.31.R.180813

Euly

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Try the other, it's also English (NTSC), but the camera is probably not compatible

Ronnie Bailey

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Try the other, but the camera is probably not compatible
Maybe, I had better not try it. But it did not drop off the network until the last couple of weeks. So it ran OK for about 6 or 7 weeks, without any issues..... Once I had it running, I did not touch it.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The devices with the red star are the ones that keep going offline. I removed the HDHomeRun connect last night and today, the IP cam dropped off the network, today.

View attachment 33663
Don't run everything back to your router. Instead connect everything you can to the 8 port switch by your router.
That way when you have to reboot your router, your LAN stays alive. Also many routers can't handle anywhere close to 1gbps of lan to lan traffic.

Ronnie Bailey

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Don't run everything back to your router. Instead connect everything you can to the 8 port switch by your router.
That way when you have to reboot your router, your LAN stays alive. Also many routers can't handle anywhere close to 1gbps of lan to lan traffic.
Thanks, I will give that a try.

Ronnie Bailey

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You may ave something, I used to have everything ran to that 8 port switch, and only had my computer and that switch connected to the router. What I don't remember is WHEN I moved the other ables back to the router, was it trying to solve this issue??? I just don't remember.

Ronnie Bailey

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Tonight, I powered down/ disconnect all the devices at the entertainment center except an older HDHomeRun tuner that I replaced today with the one I removed yesterday.

In the basement connection, I left all 5 cams connected, and the cable that feeds my microPC in my bedroom, which I am typing on now.

I will see if my cam drops off the network tonight.

Last edited:

Ronnie Bailey

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Good news to report this morning. My Dahua IP camera and my HDHomeRun tuner were still online this morning. As I stated last night, I powered down or disconnected almost everything, including my WD and Synology NAS's. One thing that I did power down, that I don't recall powering down before, was my Vorke V2 that I use as my PLEX and Emby servers (Windows 10 microPC). I left running my Tronsmart Ara X5 Windows 10, microPC. Also, left my 4 other IP cams and NVR running.

Will leave the same situation tonight and see what happens.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Alright, I probably spelled some stuff wrong, but here is your layout:
It looks like most of the switches, and the main PC, are all hooked in to the router.

Suggestion:
Don't burden the router with unnecessary traffic - only send internet traffic though it.
Router switch ports are secondary to the routing function and are not always implemented well.
Does the wiring allow the switches to be hooked up together, and just one connection to the router from one of the switches?
Also - can the Main PC be easily hooked up to a switch instead of the router?

Euly

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Keep an eye on it before you declare the problem solved. I still recommend you upgrade the firmware on the Dahua. If the pattern is the two devices disconnect when the Vorke V2 is connected to the network, then you know that two things are happening; one, the Vorke is broadcasting something at a specific time that can cause instability in other devices, and two, at least two devices are affected by abnormal network traffic.
The easiest solution would be to take the Vorke V2 off the network permanently, but drilling down to the problem could mean the Vorke simply has corrupt NIC drivers, or set to do something improperly configured at a specific time, or worse, it has some malware baked into its hardware.

Ronnie Bailey

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It looks like most of the switches, and the main PC, are all hooked in to the router.

Suggestion:
Don't burden the router with unnecessary traffic - only send internet traffic though it.
Router switch ports are secondary to the routing function and are not always implemented well.
Does the wiring allow the switches to be hooked up together, and just one connection to the router from one of the switches?
Also - can the Main PC be easily hooked up to a switch instead of the router?
I have my router, 8 port switch, Ooma VOIP phone, and HDHomeRun Extend on my desk, so I can easily move around my cables. Right now, I have my desktop computer, 8 port switch, Cat 6 cable going to my 16 port switch at my entertainment center, and one cat 6 cable going to an 8 port switch in the basement.

I will wait a couple more days to see if the problem still exist, and then I will move all my devices from my router to the switch on my desk. I had it that way at one time, don't remember when I changed it or why.

The router is just laying there temporarily.

router.jpg

Ronnie Bailey

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Keep an eye on it before you declare the problem solved. I still recommend you upgrade the firmware on the Dahua. If the pattern is the two devices disconnect when the Vorke V2 is connected to the network, then you know that two things are happening; one, the Vorke is broadcasting something at a specific time that can cause instability in other devices, and two, at least two devices are affected by abnormal network traffic.
The easiest solution would be to take the Vorke V2 off the network permanently, but drilling down to the problem could mean the Vorke simply has corrupt NIC drivers, or set to do something improperly configured at a specific time, or worse, it has some malware baked into its hardware.
Yes, I will keep everything as is for a couple of days until the cam and tuner no longer drop connection. I will wait until I am satisfied that the problem is solved before I update the firmware.

Also, those are not the only 2 devices that drop the network connection. When I have ALL my devices connected to the network, several of my Linux based devices ALSO drop connection when my tuner and cam drop connection. I just have had them disabled for a week or more.