Dahua camera going offline

im85288a

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Andy, Can you respond to my emails about the returns please. Thanks

1fxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I am having a similar problem, but, with one exception. I’m connecting 6 camera (paired in 2 ) using 3 cables split at both ends. 2 pairs are working fine. But the 2 that has the longest run, 1 keeps shutting down. On this pair is a fixed Dahua turret type and a vara focal Dahua turret. The vara focal is the one that keeps shutting down. Could it be that the run is too long? The camera is also fogged up. Any suggestions. Thanks

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Have you checked your connection to ensure that there is no moisture present inside the connection? You need to protect the wire run as well as camera from the elements. Make sure your camera contains moisture wicking bags

im85288a

n3wb
Reaction score
The Vari Focal ones (at least the models I have) are extremely flakey with network connections. If I could choose again I would avoid them and go for the newer fixed versions.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Same is true for the newer fixed versions as per some users here, reporting that the Ethernet wire exiting out of the rear end of the turrets are arriving in a kinked-like condition. That is something the folks at the factory needs to check before packaging. Same person can't be doing the same "uni"-task, can result in mixed QC.
Also if you order Ethernet cabling in bulk from companies like Monoprice, their wire also arrive in a mixed condition; the wires needs to be straighten / massaged out prior to running and making the connections.

However, "fogged up" certainly sounds like compromised seal / gasket on the camera or connection itself or even the lack of desiccant packs; or even sometimes mixed up with poor auto-focus

The Vari Focal ones (at least the models I have) are extremely flakey with network connections. If I could choose again I would avoid them and go for the newer fixed versions.

im85288a

n3wb
Reaction score
Same is true for the newer fixed versions as per some users here, reporting that the Ethernet wire exiting out of the rear end of the turrets are arriving in a kinked-like condition. That is something the folks at the factory needs to check before packaging. Same person can't be doing the same "uni"-task, can result in mixed QC.
Also if you order Ethernet cabling in bulk from companies like Monoprice, their wire also arrive in a mixed condition; the wires needs to be straighten / massaged out prior to running and making the connections.

However, "fogged up" certainly sounds like compromised seal / gasket on the camera or connection itself or even the lack of desiccant packs; or even sometimes mixed up with poor auto-focus
Fully agree, my order experience with Andy was not very good at all. Having reported my issues within a week trying to return the items was made as difficult as could be. All I wanted was replacement items but was told I would have to pay for the return and be subject to possible rejection if the items worked under his testing. Now as this was a problem that came and went it was something I could not guarantee would be an issue with his setup. Lessons learnt for me and I will only order from uk stock in the future.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Fully agree, my order experience with Andy was not very good at all. Having reported my issues within a week trying to return the items was made as difficult as could be. All I wanted was replacement items but was told I would have to pay for the return and be subject to possible rejection if the items worked under his testing. Now as this was a problem that came and went it was something I could not guarantee would be an issue with his setup. Lessons learnt for me and I will only order from uk stock in the future.
That is because Andy and other retailers have found that the majority of camera returns have absolutely nothing wrong with them, it was user error.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am having a similar problem, but, with one exception. I’m connecting 6 camera (paired in 2 ) using 3 cables split at both ends. 2 pairs are working fine. But the 2 that has the longest run, 1 keeps shutting down. On this pair is a fixed Dahua turret type and a vara focal Dahua turret. The vara focal is the one that keeps shutting down. Could it be that the run is too long? The camera is also fogged up. Any suggestions. Thanks
You are not using them in a normal manner. Don't double up on cables that way.
There are other solutions. Link
And this: Link
Make certain you are using Solid Copper Cables, not Copper Clad Aluminum no matter what.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

im85288a

n3wb
Reaction score
That is because Andy and other retailers have found that the majority of camera returns have absolutely nothing wrong with them, it was user error.
User error is easy enough to state, the facts are others are reporting similar issues and being faced with a similar conundrum. The vari focal cameras I purchased have a poor network connection that drops out at random times. Anyway as I mentioned I will not be purchasing from Andy or any other retailer outside of UK again, his customer service (or actually complete lack of once I tried to return the items leaves a lot to be desired)..strangely enough during the buying process he was super fast to reply!

1fxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
opened camera to clean out fog. It did have a desiccant pack in it. I have 4 other cameras running fine on the split configuration. I’ll have to check to see if the wire is solid copper or not. Didn’t think of that when I bought it on Amazon. Thanks for all the help.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
opened camera to clean out fog. It did have a desiccant pack in it. I have 4 other cameras running fine on the split configuration. I’ll have to check to see if the wire is solid copper or not. Didn’t think of that when I bought it on Amazon. Thanks for all the help.
Make sure the Ethernet wiring is not copper cladded, it should be solid copper

Also make sure your connections are protected against the elements. Water ingress can easily be prevented with proper care. Make sure to check to see that all seals are in place areas caulked as deemed necessary. Also doesn't hurt to drill a small hole under the junction box for water to escape.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Could it be that the run is too long?
Hard to answer without knowing how long the run is. I can contribute that I'm running a couple of "doubled up" cables to cameras, the longest being 275', and it works flawlessly. If there is a marginal cable connection I could see it failing with some switches and working with others. I've had a couple of cameras fail. First thing I do to troubleshoot is to bring it into the house and connect with a short cable to see if it works any different. Another strategy is to swap a solid working camera with a flaky one to isolate if the problem is with the camera or with the cable.

bam2413

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I literally just had this same problem. I opened the camera performed a hard reset and now it is working without issue. Give that a try if you haven’t already.

1fxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks all. I did take it’d down and connected with a short cable. Still no video. Green light comes on. Tomorrow, my next step is to push the little button inside the camera.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
User error is easy enough to state, the facts are others are reporting similar issues and being faced with a similar conundrum. The vari focal cameras I purchased have a poor network connection that drops out at random times. Anyway as I mentioned I will not be purchasing from Andy or any other retailer outside of UK again, his customer service (or actually complete lack of once I tried to return the items leaves a lot to be desired)..strangely enough during the buying process he was super fast to reply!
Your issue is related to a network issue. You did not properly test the cams. You must test with a short premade cable connected to a switch then to a pc, no other cameras/nvr/routers involved. This is why dahua doesn’t sell to end users. The fact that you ran CCA cable says it all.

bam2413

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You may know this, but make sure there is power to the cam when you do the reset. You'll see a green light on the board inside...hold the reset button down until that green light goes out you should be set

im85288a

n3wb
Reaction score
Your issue is related to a network issue. You did not properly test the cams. You must test with a short premade cable connected to a switch then to a pc, no other cameras/nvr/routers involved. This is why dahua doesn’t sell to end users. The fact that you ran CCA cable says it all.
Thanks for your analysis, I am the first to admit (as stated in my previous posts) that I did not test them properly initially. Once the problem reared its ugly head I followed all the advice here including changing the cables used.

Regardless of all of this it does not take away from the facts that when purchasing the items it clearly states there is a 10 day money back guarantee. This statement was not honoured by Andy.

The sign of good customer service is sorting things in the correct way when things go wrong. Weather you believe it or not I found the whole experience to be un professional.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for your analysis, I am the first to admit (as stated in my previous posts) that I did not test them properly initially. Once the problem reared its ugly head I followed all the advice here including changing the cables used.

Regardless of all of this it does not take away from the facts that when purchasing the items it clearly states there is a 10 day money back guarantee. This statement was not honoured by Andy.

The sign of good customer service is sorting things in the correct way when things go wrong. Weather you believe it or not I found the whole experience to be un professional.
You still failed to test the properly as I indicated in my post. This is 100 percent user error. Andy takes care of folks when there is an actual issue with the product.

im85288a

n3wb
Reaction score
Andy takes care of folks when there is an actual issue with the product.
So are you saying the 10 day money back guarantee is actually not true? You seem to be missing the point along with your followers. Regardless of if it is user error or not it clearly states there is a guarantee to get a full refund. It’s not that hard to understand but hope it’s clearer for you now. The fact is Andy did not fulfil his duty as a seller.