Dahua Cameras Going Offline and Other Questions!

gengar

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
My setup is four DH-IPC-HDW3849HP-AS-PV-0280B-3 connected to a NVR DHI NVR4104HS-p-4KS2. The NVR is connected to my router. Note sure if this is an issue but my router handles the IP addresses and I have given the NVR an IP of 192.168.1.202. The NVR in turn handles the IP of the 4 cameras (10.1.1.65 to 10.1.1.68). I use the DMSS app via p2p.

(1) The issue I have is the cameras randomly go offline. There is no pattern. Sometimes its for a few minutes and sometimes for a few hours. Probably happens once every couple of weeks on average. The last time it happened the log would have "Channel 1 Network disconnected, Channel 1 User Logout, Channel 1 User logged in, User logged in <127.0.0.1>, User logged out <127.0.0.1>". Everything goes back fine after a reboot of the NVR. Seems my sitaution is to this (Help needed! Recording outages with Dahua NVR) but there doesn't seem to be a solution so wanted to see if there specific errors in my setup.

(2) Also is there a way for an alert to be pushed out to my phone via DMSS whenever of the cameras go offline? I tried looking around but couldn't find anything.

(3) Lastly is there a way for me to reboot the NVR via DMSS rather than logging in to the NVR? I don't know why but sometimes when i try to login to NVR via browser it times out.

Thanks for all your help!

oh6hfx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have noticed the same that especially in these new NVR 4.0 systems, cameras are sometimes dropped off without a reason. Last was just yesterday, and reboot helped.

I would suggest you to use separate PoE switch to power the cameras and leave NVR poe ports empty. Connect swith to your router and also NVR ethernet port. Then assign static ip addresses for cameras and add them in NVR camera list.
That way it is also easier to access cameras web UI with browser to set image settings more deeply than via NVR.

gengar

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have noticed the same that especially in these new NVR 4.0 systems, cameras are sometimes dropped off without a reason. Last was just yesterday, and reboot helped.

I would suggest you to use separate PoE switch to power the cameras and leave NVR poe ports empty. Connect swith to your router and also NVR ethernet port. Then assign static ip addresses for cameras and add them in NVR camera list.
That way it is also easier to access cameras web UI with browser to set image settings more deeply than via NVR.
Good to know I am not the only one with this error. Maybe as u say it's the nvr 4.0 systems. Hopefully a firmware update fixes it. At the moment I don't to buy a poe switch just for this. What are the other benefits of having a dedicated poe switch as opposed to using the poe integrated in the nvr?

oh6hfx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Good to know I am not the only one with this error. Maybe as u say it's the nvr 4.0 systems. Hopefully a firmware update fixes it. At the moment I don't to buy a poe switch just for this. What are the other benefits of having a dedicated poe switch as opposed to using the poe integrated in the nvr?
If cameras are connected to separate PoE-switch and are in same subnet as NVR and PC, it is easier to adjust all camera settings via browser. Via NVR you cannot adjust all image settings (exposure shutter/aperture etc) and especially in PTZ cameras a direct browser access is needed to adjust all necessary PTZ settings.

However, accessing cameras via NVR is possible in NVR 4.0 if you choose "virtual host" in network settings. Then you can access cameras which are connected to NVR PoE-ports like <nvr ip>:10080 (this would be channel 1, 10081 channel 2 etc).

Also if you want cameras to "see" internet, then it should be better to put them in separate PoE-switch so they can be reachable also from Dahua p2p and with SmartPSS "link to web" you can connect to the web ui with browser also remotely.

gengar

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If cameras are connected to separate PoE-switch and are in same subnet as NVR and PC, it is easier to adjust all camera settings via browser. Via NVR you cannot adjust all image settings (exposure shutter/aperture etc) and especially in PTZ cameras a direct browser access is needed to adjust all necessary PTZ settings.

However, accessing cameras via NVR is possible in NVR 4.0 if you choose "virtual host" in network settings. Then you can access cameras which are connected to NVR PoE-ports like <nvr ip>:10080 (this would be channel 1, 10081 channel 2 etc).

Also if you want cameras to "see" internet, then it should be better to put them in separate PoE-switch so they can be reachable also from Dahua p2p and with SmartPSS "link to web" you can connect to the web ui with browser also remotely.
Can you explain this virtual host a bit more? Is it a setting in the nvr?

I don't need the cams to see the Internet so probably stick with the nvr poe for now. Thanks again!

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
How are the cameras connected ?

All of that can be done via the NVR PoE ports, except exposing the cameras to the internet. Which is a good thing

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Virtual host = the internal switch on the PoE NVR that assigns the cameras to their own subnet 10.1.1.x

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I dont believe it to be the 4.0 FW at all. I have many running as do others.

I believe it could have something to do with overloading the internal PoE switch capabilities but there are a number of things that could produce the same problem, the most common being bad cable connections.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
More times than not, this comes down to bad cables, bad crimps on cables, or not properly waterproofed outdoor connections.
Make sure you use 24AWG or 23AWG cat5e or cat 6 solid copper cable, and not copper clad aluminum wire. No flat ethernet cables either.
WaterProofing Connections

NightLife

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
More times than not, this comes down to bad cables, bad crimps on cables, or not properly waterproofed outdoor connections.
Make sure you use 24AWG or 23AWG cat5e or cat 6 solid copper cable, and not copper clad aluminum wire. No flat ethernet cables either.
WaterProofing Connections

I use some flat Cat7 cables for various things within the house (not outside). Is there an issue with them, or are you referencing an outdoor rule of no flat cables?

---

I believe my camera used to cut out once in a while. Seems healthier now. I checked a few boxes - I have the camera reboot once a week at a set time, and I also told it how to behave if it disconnects .. to reboot in n minutes etc.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Flat cables in general should be avoided if you expect proper network operation.
They are much more prone to interference from EMI, they have very small diameter wires, all of this will cause issue's for POE Ip Cameras due to not able to transfer the proper power, and dropped packets.