Dahua day/night switch utility - DahuaSunriseSunset

Ssayer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Ok, I tried reading through everything and searching. PTZ/Shutter via the dropdown menu doesn't work for these cams (or at least my B4442E-ZE), correct? Just checking before I set up a bunch of presets for my preferred shutter speeds (maybe 1/90 and 1/120, but for sure 1/250,1/500 and 1/1000) without having to be going via a browser into the cam's setup so that I can then schedule changes as sunrise and sunset approaches. I plan on doing similar for Brightness and Contrast (it'll work for all of the picture settings). Unfortunately Gain is still eluding me as it gives wonky results. Have I simply missed someone's post on it?

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Gain zero in the day or maybe 10 if area shaded towards dusk and thus profile switchover. Never more than 50 at night. Exact figure varies camera to camera. Shutter 1/250 = 4 ms. If you want to know the shutter speed it's as simple as doing the math - 1 divided by 250 = 0.004 = 4ms. Most say shutter between 0-12ms. Personally I never found 12, or 8 ms totally froze motion. Alot will depenmd on your camera and how well it sees under the light conditions as well.

Ssayer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I get that. I just want the opportunity to keep the shutter as fast as conditions allow, which is why I'm setting up presets...

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm playing with this to put a script on a router running OpenWRT. When I send the following command to a 2431-S-S2 camera, it comes back with an error:

wget -v [4] 1292863

Redirecting output to ‘wget-log.7’.
VideoInMode[0].Config[0]=1: command not found
[4]+ Exit 8 wget -v
Is this camera using a different set of API commands?

rhwd2003

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have had the day night switcher service running for a few months and working perfectly, I have been configuring my settings to tune them in over the last couple of weeks and now my day night switcher is not working for my older camera (screenshots attached). What is the correct profile management setting for the two cameras? My newer camera is switching, the older camera is now staying in Day mode but the colors look like night mode. If I do a manual reboot the camera comes back perfectly looking in day mode? I have tried to stop the service, uninstall the service and even simulate sunrise/sunset to no avail?

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have had the day night switcher service running for a few months and working perfectly, I have been configuring my settings to tune them in over the last couple of weeks and now my day night switcher is not working for my older camera (screenshots attached). What is the correct profile management setting for the two cameras? My newer camera is switching, the older camera is now staying in Day mode but the colors look like night mode. If I do a manual reboot the camera comes back perfectly looking in day mode? I have tried to stop the service, uninstall the service and even simulate sunrise/sunset to no avail?
You have to have it set to full-time as @samplenhold shows.

The Day/Night option you chose uses the sensor to decide when to go into infrared/B/W mode, but as you see it simply picks a profile and runs with it and simply switches color or B/W based on light conditions.

And since that Day/Night mode doesn't work the way we would expect it to (it should use day profile and night profile instead of simply switching between color and B/W) is the reason why this utility was developed to force the camera to use DAY profile during the day and NIGHT profile at night.

rhwd2003

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You have to have it set to full-time as @samplenhold shows.

The Day/Night option you chose uses the sensor to decide when to go into infrared/B/W mode, but as you see it simply picks a profile and runs with it and simply switches color or B/W based on light conditions.

And since that Day/Night mode doesn't work the way we would expect it to (it should use day profile and night profile instead of simply switching between color and B/W) is the reason why this utility was developed to force the camera to use DAY profile during the day and NIGHT profile at night.
Thanks but what about the newer model with the different UI:
Day/Night Switch?
Customized Scene
Self-adaptive

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks but what about the newer model with the different UI:
Day/Night Switch?
Customized Scene
Self-adaptive
Based on my experience, and that of others, at least some of the models with the new GUI are exhibiting the day/night switch working as we would expect, but I would suggest trying and confirming for your camera and firmware.

If you want performance, don't use self-adaptive as that will slow shutters and increase gain to favor a bright static image over motion.

rhwd2003

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Based on my experience, and that of others, at least some of the models with the new GUI are exhibiting the day/night switch working as we would expect, but I would suggest trying and confirming for your camera and firmware.

If you want performance, don't use self-adaptive as that will slow shutters and increase gain to favor a bright static image over motion.
So I have the same issue again this morning. Profile Management is set to Full Time but my camera says its in Day mode but the camera is stuck in black & white. My other camera is switching just fine... if I manually reboot the camera it comes back in color and is perfect!

1698505792004.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So I have the same issue again this morning. Profile Management is set to Full Time but my camera says its in Day mode but the camera is stuck in black & white. My other camera is switching just fine... if I manually reboot the camera it comes back in color and is perfect!

View attachment 176318
Look at the utility log and confirm that the camera is actually receiving the command and is not throwing an error.

jrbeddow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

View attachment 176318
Also, make sure under the Day and Night tab settings it isn't locked to Black and White.

rhwd2003

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Look at the utility log and confirm that the camera is actually receiving the command and is not throwing an error.
No errors in the logs?

10/27/2023 6:55:58 PM TriggerSunsetActions
10/28/2023 6:06:43 AM TriggerSunriseActions

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
No errors in the logs?

10/27/2023 6:55:58 PM TriggerSunsetActions
10/28/2023 6:06:43 AM TriggerSunriseActions
That is weird. Maybe the firmware is corrupt and a factory reset will fix it.

I dont see a setting for black and white under either tab?
Under the day and night option, take it off of auto and force the day to color and the night to B/W.

Kyle

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

View attachment 176318
Are you using 12 or 24hr time?

CaptainCrunch

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have two z12e cameras pointing in opposite directions. I've got them about 75% dialed in. They focus on both of them seem to drift between day and night. The left drifts more but, perhaps due to the shorter distance and/or better angle, it stays in focus well enough day and night. The right one is unreadable at night and focused during the day. Will using this over the camera's built in schedule help with the zoom issue?

The person who wrote the software hasn't updated it in about 2 years. (Although if it works, that doesn't really matter.) The author also moved to a different method. Which one is the preferred method?

I'm considering replacing one with the 5241-Z12E-S2 (link to mini-review). And I may get one of the two proper anpr cameras to try out in the other direction. But in the meantime, I'm hoping this will fix my issue.

lpr_right_day.jpg
lpr_right_night.jpg

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have two z12e cameras pointing in opposite directions. I've got them about 75% dialed in. They focus on both of them seem to drift between day and night. The left drifts more but, perhaps due to the shorter distance and/or better angle, it stays in focus well enough day and night. The right one is unreadable at night and focused during the day. Will using this over the camera's built in schedule help with the zoom issue?

The person who wrote the software hasn't updated it in about 2 years. (Although if it works, that doesn't really matter.) The author also moved to a different method. Which one is the preferred method?

I'm considering replacing one with the 5241-Z12E-S2 (link to mini-review). And I may get one of the two proper anpr cameras to try out in the other direction. But in the meantime, I'm hoping this will fix my issue.

View attachment 176465
View attachment 176466
Yes this will work.

Keep in mind for many of us, the focus is a different number day and night. Some distances the infrared focus is different than visible light.

My one LPR is the same focus day and night while the other the focus is 10 different than the day setting.

You need to stop a car in the field of view at night and get a good focus on it and then use the utility to get the focus number to input into the utility.

CaptainCrunch

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yes this will work.

Keep in mind for many of us, the focus is a different number day and night. Some distances the infrared focus is different than visible light.

My one LPR is the same focus day and night while the other the focus is 10 different than the day setting.

You need to stop a car in the field of view at night and get a good focus on it and then use the utility to get the focus number to input into the utility.
I wish I had seen that utility a while ago. I set it up during the day with the same zoom for both day and night. Of course, the night was blurry. So I changed the shutter to 1/3, got a general focus, then went back to 1/500. I plugged the new focus into the utility and it looks good enough for government work. I'll get my daughter out there in the next night or two to fine tune it. Now I may be able to skip the s2 and just look at the anpr models. I want to test them as a proof of concept for the hoa.

Alaska Country

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If you are using an older cameras with Web 4 then the BI Windows sunrise/set utility works fine. However, for the newer Web 5 cameras it will not function.

One work around for Web 5 is to use the PTZ BI hack or use a home automation system to process the HTTP API GET (SET) codes for camera mode switching from day to night, etc.