Dahua DMSS App.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
These days a mobile/tablet is a choice to review footage on any CCTV system. Especially if you do the right thing and hide the DVR/NVR in the loft space or Atic (for USA) where no monitor is attached. I just wish Dahua would up the game and provide a basic usable application. It's been a fail and embarrassment for CCTV installers for many years. HIK slightly better for mobile applications but don't prefer the kit. Smart PSS is also hit and miss with functionality, but indeed optimum but somewhat lacking.

Dauha does not really focus on customer end level even they do offer some customer level products on thier line.

They are more of a commercial end camera manufacturer where they expect businesses to have some type of security room loaded with monitor and NVRS to monitor from. They also sell lower end for smaller business but again normally it would be in small business owner's office behind a steel cage box with monitor and mouse nearby for a quick review when needed.

Dauha had never done well on customer level product and I don't expect them to invest a whole lot time and money into it anyway. They only sell out to distributors which in turn only do business with authorized Dauha installer. We are lucky that there are distributors who are willing to sell to dealers who turn around to sell to DIY'er folks like me unless we want to buy from rebrand dealers with a markup in prices since they will be responsible for support on their own rebranded products not the manufacturer.

I could be wrong but this is how I see it.

paul@austins.tv

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Good points Bill.
I really do not understand why the lack of a decent mobile (Apple/Android) application from Dahua. Their sales via whatever means will be consumer/domestic customers as in the UK. I personally moved from Hik to Dahua some years ago as I prefer the kit. As a installer it's a pity for such poor software for the Dahua brand

cal2vin

n3wb
Reaction score
The SmartPSS should have array of thumbnail to quickly scan all motion detected screenshot that you can pick ones that look suspicious to review the video on.
Could you elaborate on this? I have not found how to see thumbnails for motion. When I search a channel for motion I can pull up the toolbar on the right by hitting the little arrow and then it has all the different motion triggers listed but just with a little yellow icon with a person indicating motion. No actual thumbnails.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Could you elaborate on this? I have not found how to see thumbnails for motion. When I search a channel for motion I can pull up the toolbar on the right by hitting the little arrow and then it has all the different motion triggers listed but just with a little yellow icon with a person indicating motion. No actual thumbnails.
I went and checked. You're right my mistake. Sorry!

The SmartPSS only flag all events occured in the timeline below but you can select it to only flag the iVS or the motion events in timeline..

It is the NVR web management where you can view an array of thumbnail of events to look over however there is a bug with pagination. The next page chervon button doesn't always work so you need to manually enter the page number to get to the next page of thumbnail array. Screenshot below

I am always testing so many different software and apps so I forget which has which features. :p

Screen Shot 2020-06-01 at 11.17.59 PM.jpg

cal2vin

n3wb
Reaction score
I went and checked. You're right my mistake. Sorry!

The SmartPSS only flag all events occured in the timeline below but you can select it to only flag the iVS or the motion events in timeline..

It is the NVR web management where you can view an array of thumbnail of events to look over however there is a bug with pagination. The next page chervon button doesn't always work so you need to manually enter the page number to get to the next page of thumbnail array. Screenshot below

I am always testing so many different software and apps so I forget which has which features. :p

View attachment 62935

Ahhh thanks for the info! In all your testing of software and apps have you come across a way to live scrub through footage recorded on dahua NVRs? I downloaded a 30 min clip from smartpss and once I had it downloaded and could scrub the whole thing by dragging the cursor and see everything move as I moved the cursor I could investigate that footage in 30 seconds instead of 15 min doing it through the point click load and watch repeat method of the smartpss or Dmss app!
Thanks in advance for your info!

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Ahhh thanks for the info! In all your testing of software and apps have you come across a way to live scrub through footage recorded on dahua NVRs? I downloaded a 30 min clip from smartpss and once I had it downloaded and could scrub the whole thing by dragging the cursor and see everything move as I moved the cursor I could investigate that footage in 30 seconds instead of 15 min doing it through the point click load and watch repeat method of the smartpss or Dmss app!
Thanks in advance for your info!
Not I know of. Other than downloading it and scrub it from there, there no real way to scrub it through the network because it need to decode the video to a format that can be easily scrubbed first.

That why downloading it to mp4 take time since it need to transcode to mp4 which take time for a processor in NVR to process during the download.

Scrubbing it directly from the NVR is the best way to scrub thorough many videos very quickly and it how I do it.

psycik

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I’m sure I picked this up on its preview, but it’s not a universal app, is iPhone, allowed on iPad....expecting to be stretched. Yuck. IDMSS plus, was designed for with iPhone and iPad, and adjusted size accordingly.

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So far, I really like the new app. The IVS alerts (messages) is much better/easier to navigate than the old gDMSS app. I like how it breaks it down by day too.

Also, note, I have a dahua NVR and the NVR is the only device I added (instead of adding each camera individually).

On the old app, ivs alerts broke one day after an update so I had to allow one port (forget which one it was) thru my firewall (didn't port forward, I just have my NVR and all cameras blocked from accessing the internet on my router, had to add a rule above that one to allow this one port access so the videos would go thru. I will stop that rule and see if it's necessary anymore)

I also have only used the dahua app to view ivs alerts. I always use Tinycam for live view (thru a VPN hosted on my NAS). with how fast this new app loads videos, I may change that as it's much faster than before and definitely faster than Tinycam.

Edit: added photo of rule set. It's port 443, rule #1 allowed outbound.

Rule 2 blocks all camera/other NVR internet access

Rule 3 blocks all IoT devices on my network form phoning home

Attachments

Last edited:

Baldcamman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me how to stop tripwire alerts to stop sending 4 to 6 clips of the same timeframe on same camera ?

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me how to stop tripwire alerts to stop sending 4 to 6 clips of the same timeframe on same camera ?
Do you have multiple trips set up? It could be sending one when the first trips, then another when the second trips....

Reaction score
Has anyone figured how to resolve issue of where IVR push notification shows the channel number rather than the name?

Baldcamman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Do you have multiple trips set up? It could be sending one when the first trips, then another when the second trips....
I do on some of the cameras.
I will go to the time frames on playback and watch. See if I can tell.

Spudz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
How do you get push notifications setup on this new app? It is totally different then the iDMSS app. On iDMSS app it was in messages tab at top left with a bell and a plus icon on it. This icon does not exist in DMSS. However I did find it by going to the device details of the nvr and then clicking notifications. But when I turn on notifications for the nvr and then choose face detection for one of my cameras I get a pop up that says “no alarm”

If only Dahua had as good of software as they do hardware it would be amazing.

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
How do you get push notifications setup on this new app? It is totally different then the iDMSS app. On iDMSS app it was in messages tab at top left with a bell and a plus icon on it. This icon does not exist in DMSS. However I did find it by going to the device details of the nvr and then clicking notifications. But when I turn on notifications for the nvr and then choose face detection for one of my cameras I get a pop up that says “no alarm”

If only Dahua had as good of software as they do hardware it would be amazing.
Go to post #15 in this thread.

cal2vin

n3wb
Reaction score
Go to post #15 in this thread.
new Updates shows “notification” instead of alarm subscription I think. The alerts work well to push tot he phone and will show up in your phones list of notifications. But unfortunately as of now they do not save a list of them under the messages tab in the DMSS app unless you actually have the app open when the event occurs. Which is obviously useless.
They do stay on the messages list in the app if the device is added as a cloud device. But then it takes away the differentiations between alert types. It’s either on or off. Also they are under each individual camera if it’s an NVR when using cloud mode. Not device details on the NVR from the home screen.
I’m running the latest firmware on the NVR from Andy. These are 4208 and 4108 NVRs.

Attachments

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Because your home wifi network us on the same network as your NVR/cameras. Once you leave your home you are no longer connected to your home network. You need to setup a vpn

cuz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is there a way to save a default camera order when viewing an NVR?

I can bring up the nine cameras easy enough, but they are always in order from 1-9. I can shuffle them to my preferred order, but I can’t save that view. When I restart the app it defaults back to original order.

Saving a preferred view order would be a great option to add to the Favorites.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk