Dahua forgotten admin password - want to do a factory reset - help please.

jaykay1975

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi everyone

I recently purchased 5 Dahua IPC-HDW4300C cameras, and thought it was good practice to change the admin account password from 'admin' to something else on each of the camera's. Unfortunately the change didnt seem to take effect for some reason on any camera. 4 of the camera's still work on admin / admin, but one of the camera's simply will not login with admin / admin. I've of course tried admin / [new password], 888888 / 888888, 666666 /666666. Nothing seems to work. And ofcourse each time I enter a wrong password 3 times it locks the account and I have to wait 30 minutes.

Any idea how I can get this particular camera back to factory reset? I read somewhere that there is a daily password generator, however I've tried the formula posted by a few people 8888 x the day x the month x last 2 digits of the year, resulting last 6 digits is your password.) and it also didn't work. I cant get support from anyone, Dahua simply don't reply to e-mails.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Appreciate your time.

JayKay

jaykay1975

n3wb
Reaction score
ok managed to fix it. I had the Chinese seller online and he explained that I needed to open up the camera and find the reset switch. Did that and everything was set back to factory default. The only pain was that I then had to take the camera off my network, configure my laptop to be on the same 192.168.1.x network as the camera before I could change its IP address to the one I wanted.

ruddj

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi JayKay,
Do you have any more details on how to reset to factory default?
I have just received a new IPC-HDW4300C but none of the default passwords (admin:admin, 888888:888888) will let me in. The seller has been unable to assist and is now recommending sending the camera back to China for replacement. I would much rather a local reset but I have been unable to find any info about it online.
Thank you.

jaykay1975

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi ruddj

Firstly, I believe my problem occurred because I changed my password from the original admin password to something rather too complex, and perhaps some of the character I used conflicted with the character set recognised by the software / firmware. In any case the advise that I received from my (very helpful) Chinese seller, from his contact at Dahua, was that it was impossible to reset the password without opening up the camera. Sounds drastic, but with the right size screw drivers it is in fact very simple.

1. Remove the 4 screws that hold the 'ball' (main body of camera) into the base, you can locate these screws by turning the camera upside down, and turning the base (screwing action) until you see each screw individually.

2. Once the base is removed, you can then take out the ball, and again you will find 3 screws that hold the ball together, remove those screws and open the ball.

3. Now you are inside the camera itself. Look at where the microphone wires conect to the circuit board and you will see a black reset switch next the mic contacts.

4. Now plug in the camera so that it has power. And once powered up, press and hold down the reset switch for 10 seconds.

5. Thats the hard reset done, everything has now gone back to default. However, I would recomend that you dont yet put the camera back together. First connect to it using the camera web interface http:\\192.168.1.8, login with admin:admin, and the first thing you should do (on all your camera's) is create a new user with admin privalages, just incase you forget the admin password or have issues with it in the future.

[A small side note: After reseting my camera, I found that the Dahua software could not find it on my network, which is 192.168.0.x rather than the camera 192.168.1.x range. To fix this I had to change the IP address of my laptop to the 192.168.1.x range and then the software picked up the camera, I then changed the IP address of the camera to that of my network, and all was good].

6. Now that you are confident that your camera is successfully reset, put it all back together, and the jobs done.

It all sound very long winded, and believe me, trying to acquire all of the above knowledge took a lot of messing about, but if you follow the instructions you'll be done in about 30 minutes.

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:

ruddj

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you very much JayKay. That has reset the password and I am now able to access the camera.
Only problem was when I changed the Device Name everything changed to Chinese and I had to do the reset over again. I'm very glad I followed your advice about not re-assembling straight away.

Thanks again for the great information.

Reaction score
For me work this formula (8888 x the day x the month x last 2 digits of the year, resulting last 6 digits is your password.) on Dahua 5104 dvr, was locket admin and 888888 to, now is unlocket and i change all passwords on defaults. Thank YOU jaykay1975. :peaceful:

Reaction score
8888 x the day x the month x last 2 digits of the year, resulting last 6 digits is your password

EX: 8888 x 26 x 12 x 15
= 41,595,840 = 595840

albertom

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi ruddj

Firstly, I believe my problem occurred because I changed my password from the original admin password to something rather too complex, and perhaps some of the character I used conflicted with the character set recognised by the software / firmware. In any case the advise that I received from my (very helpful) Chinese seller, from his contact at Dahua, was that it was impossible to reset the password without opening up the camera. Sounds drastic, but with the right size screw drivers it is in fact very simple.

1. Remove the 4 screws that hold the 'ball' (main body of camera) into the base, you can locate these screws by turning the camera upside down, and turning the base (screwing action) until you see each screw individually.

2. Once the base is removed, you can then take out the ball, and again you will find 3 screws that hold the ball together, remove those screws and open the ball.

3. Now you are inside the camera itself. Look at where the microphone wires conect to the circuit board and you will see a black reset switch next the mic contacts.

4. Now plug in the camera so that it has power. And once powered up, press and hold down the reset switch for 10 seconds.

5. Thats the hard reset done, everything has now gone back to default. However, I would recomend that you dont yet put the camera back together. First connect to it using the camera web interface http:\\192.168.1.8, login with admin:admin, and the first thing you should do (on all your camera's) is create a new user with admin privalages, just incase you forget the admin password or have issues with it in the future.

[A small side note: After reseting my camera, I found that the Dahua software could not find it on my network, which is 192.168.0.x rather than the camera 192.168.1.x range. To fix this I had to change the IP address of my laptop to the 192.168.1.x range and then the software picked up the camera, I then changed the IP address of the camera to that of my network, and all was good].

6. Now that you are confident that your camera is successfully reset, put it all back together, and the jobs done.

It all sound very long winded, and believe me, trying to acquire all of the above knowledge took a lot of messing about, but if you follow the instructions you'll be done in about 30 minutes.

Good luck.
Hy, i have open the camera but the reset button there isn't !!! I have a dahua 4300s v2 and i have forgot the admin password ( i have just tested the other password in the forum

Please help me

Thank you

Alberto

ruddj

n3wb
Reaction score
Hy, i have open the camera but the reset button there isn't !!! I have a dahua 4300s v2 and i have forgot the admin password ( i have just tested the other password in the forum
Hi Alberto, The instructions are for the 4300C not the S. Have you searched for how to factory reset that camera? I just found this link http://www.cam-it.org/index.php?topic=6359.0 which mentions there is a reset button near the lens. "take the lens cap off and u will see the reset button"

Reaction score
Hi Alberto, The instructions are for the 4300C not the S. Have you searched for how to factory reset that camera? I just found this link http://www.cam-it.org/index.php?topic=6359.0 which mentions there is a reset button near the lens. "take the lens cap off and u will see the reset button"
That applies to the v1 only which is pretty old at this point and probably not being sold any more. v2 does not have any reset button on that circuit board. I am in the same boat with the same cameras. It is not taking what I think should be the password and there is no obvious way to reset it. I contacted the chinese seller hoping they can provide me with instructions. There has to be some way to do a reset without logging into the camera.

UPDATE: In my case I had added the cameras to Blue Iris and was able to extract the passwords from that software. They are not stored in plain text but pretty easily retrievable. In BI they are stored in the registry under here:
HKLM\Software\Perspective Software\Blue Iris\Cameras\Camera Name\ippw
Then if you take that value and enter it in here: https://www.base64decode.org/ it will give you the password.

Still don't know about any kind of reset without the password - will update if I hear anything positive back from the seller.

UPDATE #2: According to the seller there is no way to reset other than sending it to Dahua.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
ok managed to fix it. I had the Chinese seller online and he explained that I needed to open up the camera and find the reset switch. Did that and everything was set back to factory default. The only pain was that I then had to take the camera off my network, configure my laptop to be on the same 192.168.1.x network as the camera before I could change its IP address to the one I wanted.
Please tell me how you managed to reset it, I want to know the detailed steps or if you have any pdf or images for that.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Step 1. Open the camera up
Step 2. Locate the hidden reset switch
Step 3. Press the switch and hold while providing power until the camera has booted.

The specifics of 1 & 2 are unique to each device, and not documented.. you'll have to figure this part out on your own, good luck.. taking things apart is easy, putting them back together is the trick :)

werner

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Everyone, Does anyone know how to reset the password of a dahua ipc hdw4431C-A?. This camera has no reset switch inside

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
it'll have pads then that you'll have to physically short