Dahua integration in Google Hub

xavi2503

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am quite new in to this all and hope you van advise me.

So i have a dahua nvr4116-4ks2 along with a IPC-HDW2431T-AS-S2. Within my home i have also a Google Hub and would love to stream the video from the selected camera on to the hub. After long searching i found out that the standard app DMSS would not provide me that option.

So i checked a few apps now and found One called Imou. The app works perfectly with the NVR and Camera and i can synchronize it with my Google Hub. Unfortunally when i want to stream it Only shows the text Smart Home Camera.

Does anyone have experience with this particular issue ?

Attachments

toliman

n3wb
Reaction score
I think it's early days, to be honest. I've never seen IMOU before, so IDK.

What you want to look for, is "Google Assistant" as that's the Smart Home integration needed to control devices like thermostats, blinds, lights, cameras, etc.

There is a list of "Assistant" integrations ... a very, very long list

I'd advise using a Hub to integrate a series of known devices if you have a blend of cameras and other devices ... like
Home Assistant Hass.io | Google Assistant
Homebridge Homebridge | Google Assistant
OpenHAB openHAB | Google Assistant ,
Node RED Node RED Smart Home Control | Google Assistant

etc.
Because while Dahua has some integration, you don't really want a public RTSP stream accessible, or you get possible Xiaomi Mi Home "problems"
Google shuts down Xiaomi access to Assistant following Nest Hub picking up strangers' camera feeds (Update: Fully resolved)

The steps involved are a bit of a hassle.

Which is why a bridge / Smart Home application is often needed, wether that's Blue Iris, Home Assistant (hass.io) etc.

Part 1: getting the ONVIF or camera RTSP stream from a camera, intercom or doorbell or camera, to a redirector URL,
Part 2: you also have to convert RTSP, the stream from the camera, into HLS, a format for streaming h.264 with AAC audio, so it can be viewed in a chromecast/Google Nest Hub format. This will perhaps require a buffer or transcode of the video stream,
Part 3: create an event or notification with the MJPEG or HLS link embedded so that Chromecast / Goole Nest Hub can display it, as well as show up in your phone / tablet.

And perhaps, you can also get the same thing happening in reverse, accessing the Nest Cameras on the Hub Max or Nest doorbell as an RTSP stream as a NVR camera ... the Smart Device Management API from Google Nest is only just opened up to developers