Dahua IPC-HDBW4431R-ZS - Buy Log / Review

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So no matter what your computer IP is, SmartPSS will find a camera on your network?

beingaware

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
So no matter what your computer IP is, SmartPSS will find a camera on your network?
Yes, it will see the Camera Broadcasting it's IP.
Take note of it, eg 10.1.1.50, change your LAN IP to 10.1.1.51, log into the camera and update the IP to your usual range, e.g 192.168.1.150 etc.
Then put your computers LAN IP back to what ever it was before.

beingaware

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I was going to send it all back but being the start of the holidays tomorrow there is not much point at the moment.

I'm getting even more confused

I had both camera working separately directly plugged into the router the other day using 192.168.1.108 . has the NVR or something else changed the IP?

I have tried the config tool and it displays the NVR - I log into that but it wont get any camera info it says "failed to get video effect"

I have also tried a single camera into the router using the config tool but nothing is displayed

As I have said if I log into the router via web I get the 2 cameras details displayed under "setup" "remote" but no preview or camera configuration details are available

How do I purge the plugins and start again

What do I have to do to use Smart PSS to find the cameras as it finds the NVR but has nothing under the tree

Can the modded firmware you referred to work under win7 and if so what program do I use to open it?

In smart PSS, use the auto discover under device discovery.

Also you cannot have 2 active devices sharing the same IP.

Re the router, what do you mean via the web?

Have you port forwarded the cameras or nvr?
If so, delete the port forward/upnp/etc as that can break things with being attacked Internet side.

Plugin wise?
You mean the browser?
Just delete the plug in from Firefox or chrome or IE and then flush your history.

Or just use another PC.

Re firmware, you can upload it via the cameras web console when you get it back. :)

beingaware

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'll just update you,

I don't have any internet at the moment so haven't even thought of forwarding (im here using Phone data)

well, I have now got my turret working by the method you suggested connect to router only and reset the IP to default (192.168.1.108) and now working on the dome

using the same technique the dome does not seem to work

router ip address 10.1.1.60 dome 10.1.1.66

I am just so absolutely fed up with this whole experience I was just hoping to plug it in and it work

I'm sick of having to change the cameras IP , change the routers IP, change the NVRs IP

is there a simple guide for this?
Don't change the routers IP, just your computer so you can get to them.

I suggest avoiding setting any camera or nvr to 192.168.1.108 so you don't have conflict issues.

Set your first camera to 192.168.1.150, next camera to 151, 152 etc
Set your NVR to 192.168.1.200
Set your router to 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.254

Usually these systems are pretty plug and play to get them going but they do require adjustment to get them perfect.
Ask @CaliGirl she managed to get them setup. :)

beingaware

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Well it appears that my NVR must have set the cameras to 10.1.1.65 and 10.1.1.66

the only way to see the turret camera was to change the router but I am still mystified as to why the NVR detects the cameras but cant see anything or change anything

still cannot access the dome

Do I change my router, NVR and camera to static or DCHP?
Well if it's changed the IPs, you can log into them and change them back.

If the NVR is on a different IP range it won't talk to it but will see them there.

Let your router do DHCP from 192.168.1.50 to 192.168.1.100
But statically set your cameras and NVR in their configurations.

As I said, start at 150 for the first camera and go up from there.

You'll slowly get there. :)

The dome is an odd one, it might be bricked if you can't find it with smart pss or the config tool.
Leave it on for awhile and try again.

PS where abouts are you?
Saw you mention AU once?

SyconsciousAu

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Ok so I've now had three of the 20 cameras in my batch go down with the same issue. I do not know what's causing it but they just stop talking to the network for reasons unknown. One was attached to an NVR and the other two were hooked up to a BI machine. The issue does not appear to be IP address related, unless the camera has decided to change it's own IP address to something random. In each case I've fixed the issue by factory resetting and then flashing with @cor35vet 's excellent firmware mod kit.

Dahua Firmware Mod Kit + Modded Dahua Firmware

I didn't think of using the camera discovery tool, as has been helpfully suggested by @beingaware ,to see if I could locate the camera that way first. Unfortunately I had already fixed the issue before I logged in, and hadn't really considered the possibility that the camera may have chosen a random IP. I might give it a crack if any more go south though I suspect it will not work in my case due to the lack of any inter VLAN routing to whatever random IP the camera selects, if that is what is going on.

A bit of a tip that saved me a lot of work. In my case I created a new VLAN on the 192.168.1.1/24 range and allocated two of my POE ports to that so I could both power and talk to the camera after I reset it. All my camera's are in a very different IP range normally. If your switch doesn't have the ability to do that, and you are working from an IP range other than the 192.168.1.1/24 I would recommend having a cheap POE injector lying around to facilitate powering a direct link with the camera until you have been able to flash the firmware and get its IP address settings fixed. It is a lot less work than taking down the camera entirely to power it from 12V.

Frogg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have 4 of these cameras, a 5232 NVR, and an AT&T RG cascaded to a Nighthawk R7000 router. The Nighthawk router handles all of my devices, with addresses 10.0.0.XX. When I hook up a new cam, using ConfigTool, I give the cam an available 10.0.0.xx IP address, and then immediately go into the router settings and reserve this IP address. So far this has worked well for me. I do use a PoE injector to initially set up the cam, and then have a PoE switch in the attic feeding the cams when they are mounted.

Last edited:

srs

n3wb
Reaction score
Does "Face Detection" work on this camera? I'm using the latest modified firmware available here, but the "Setup" button under working period doesn't work, and neither does anything under "Target Filter". Wondering if this camera supports it?

DATS2LS

n3wb
Reaction score
I've read multiple times to avoid the chinese versions of this model as you are unable to update firmware (as well as other reasons). Does anyone know where to buy the non-chinese versions of these cameras.

Aliexpress lists multiple items with English firmware, but when I ask the sellers if the firmware can be updated... They all say no.

mclain1

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've read multiple times to avoid the chinese versions of this model as you are unable to update firmware (as well as other reasons). Does anyone know where to buy the non-chinese versions of these cameras.

Aliexpress lists multiple items with English firmware, but when I ask the sellers if the firmware can be updated... They all say no.

Good question... i just bought FWF4431R and same thing... english firmware but they told me not to upgrade it... what does that mean future firmware upgrades?

beingaware

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

Pretty much.

They are decent cameras out of the box but if you need to update, you'll need to download the modded firmwares from here: Dahua Firmware Mod Kit + Modded Dahua Firmware

DATS2LS

n3wb
Reaction score
Well I found a seller on Aliexpress who assures me this is the genuine dahua English version which can be easily updated with any future firmware releases from dahua websites.

Purchased 8 of them for around the au$96 mark each. Most other sellers had them for about the au$75-85 mark. So I'm hoping when they arrive they are as reported without any Chinese firmware with English hacks on them.

I was wondering about bandwidth settings and storage requirements. I bought the English version of the Nvr5216-16p-4ks2 from a different seller. Has 2 sata ports and was looking at the wd purple range of hdd.

What bandwidth settings have you guys used for various resolutions... Running h265 compression
(4mp = 8mbps?)
(3mp = 6mbps?)
(1080p = 4mbps?)

And what frame rates have u set?

I have looked at calculators for hdd sizes but for 24/7 recording (if I opt that way) something like 12tb required for just a week...

beingaware

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Well I found a seller on Aliexpress who assures me this is the genuine dahua English version which can be easily updated with any future firmware releases from dahua websites.

Purchased 8 of them for around the au$96 mark each. Most other sellers had them for about the au$75-85 mark. So I'm hoping when they arrive they are as reported without any Chinese firmware with English hacks on them.

I was wondering about bandwidth settings and storage requirements. I bought the English version of the Nvr5216-16p-4ks2 from a different seller. Has 2 sata ports and was looking at the wd purple range of hdd.

What bandwidth settings have you guys used for various resolutions... Running h265 compression
(4mp = 8mbps?)
(3mp = 6mbps?)
(1080p = 4mbps?)

And what frame rates have u set?

I have looked at calculators for hdd sizes but for 24/7 recording (if I opt that way) something like 12tb required for just a week...
Hahahahahahahaha hahahaha
The model is Chinese only, so they lied to you.

But recording wise, I manage 4 weeks recording 16 cameras at 4K.
12TB worth.

DATS2LS

n3wb
Reaction score
What do you mean only Chinese? I've seen multiple articles on a Chinese version and an English version.
There was a YouTube video showing the firmware upgrade process, and how logging into the camera there's a region setting. The guy had an English region camera and a Chinese region camera... Can we post YouTube links in this forum?

beingaware

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You find us the actual model on dahua's English website.

Then find the actual firmware on the English website, then load it, let's see how you go.

DATS2LS

n3wb
Reaction score
You find us the actual model on dahua's English website.

Then find the actual firmware on the English website, then load it, let's see how you go.
FML... So yeah... Bugger...

Moving on... About the bandwidth settings?

DATS2LS

n3wb
Reaction score
Bit of help advice guys please,

Have the Nvr5216-16p-4ks2, with 8x IPC-HDBW4431R-ZS.

Had camera 1 sitting on a shelf with a short ethernet cable to test my screen hdmi etc.

Just finished installing the other 7 cameras which also popped up immediately on the nvr. Plug and play almost.

When I unplugged cam 1, and moved it to my installed location nothing. The ir LEDs light up but the camera is not being found by the nvr anymore. Nor the config tool on my pc which used to find it. I can't log into the camera via ip address it doesn't appear.

It's not the cable, I tested it twice, reterminated ends, then moved the camera back to the shelf and short patch cord... And still nothing.

If I factory reset them they will go to Chinese which is what someone else said on the forum...

I'm at a loss... Not sure what to try next. Any suggestions?

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

DATS2LS

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok so I found out the hard way that you don't push the factory reset button on these cams unless you speak Chinese. Managed to get locked out of one of the cameras when I was setting up the monster in law's system so I factory reset the camera to get the default password and got chinese as well. All seemed to work fine plugged into the MIL's NVR but now that one has gone down for reasons unknown.
Hi there,
Having an issue with one of my cameras. Can't find an ip address with the dahua config tool or smart pss. It did come up initially but now it's lost. I wanted to do a factory reset on it
I can see a button on the base circuit board but it doesn't do anything...
How did u factory reset the camera

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

mclain1

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Have you look through your router for all connected devices..? Perhaps the IP changed accidentally.