Dahua IPC-HDW4431C-A trying to make outside connection

marigo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have noticed that this IP camera from Dahua is trying to make outside connections to the following ports and IP addresses:

• 114.55.152.165 9084 TCP
  • 115.29.249.74 8800 UDP
Are these connections specific for this camera model or do other camera's from Dahua also trying to make outside connections?

I am blocking the ports in the firewall to prevent it from making the connections and forward traffic.
There doesn't seems an option to disable this behavior.

I know that a few IP camera brands are using this to make life easier for people that want to use an App on there phone to see the live video from the cam, but this is also worry me that there is this traffic which you can't control.

marigo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi nayr,

Have checked the DDNS setting, but it's disabled.
I don't see a "P2P" setting in my Dahua in the network settings.

Any other suggestion?

Regards

Attachments

cyberwolf_uk

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Just for the record... ANY IP camera should be blocked from accessing the Internet and any P2P, DDNS and UPNP should be disabled... It's VPN all the way! If you can't implement these you should really think hard about your other setups!

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I entirely agree w/@cyberwolf_uk, its best to use external network security to secure the cameras than rely on the camera its self.. in theory the camera could re-enable or bypass anything you set on it, but it cannot bypass externally enforced security policies.

here's the location of p2p:
Screenshot 2016-12-24 12.58.14.png

marigo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
All those services you mentioned are disabled and VPN services are enabled. :)
Just wanted to know if anyone has seen this and know a fix for it to unload my firewall.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
ah this is one of those china market models, you can brand out options and they may be configured to enable p2p and disable the UI option.. I think @cor35vet made a firmware for these cameras that re-exposed the option so it could be disabled.

might also be some govt mandated backdoor since the cameras are intended only for local Chinese consumption.

marigo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Aha, You are right! This one comes from Aliexpress.
I am going to search for this firmware. :)

Meanwhile the firewall (Untangle) is blocking the traffic (> 50000 events a day) that comes from the camera.

@nayr/cyberwolf_uk,
Thanks for support

Attachments

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I wanna get more than one and yeah EmpireTec is promising me a nice discount that it'll make worth waiting.

with winters here the way they are doing installs this time of year requires patients anyhow, most outdoor work may require waiting to spring depending.. Ive learned good things come to those whom wait; especially w/dealing w/AliExpress.. im usually purchasing months before installing, that way I dont go insane waiting for components heh.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I wanna get more than one and yeah EmpireTec is promising me a nice discount that it'll make worth waiting.

with winters here the way they are doing installs this time of year requires patients anyhow, most outdoor work may require waiting to spring depending.. Ive learned good things come to those whom wait; especially w/dealing w/AliExpress
Will that be a deal specific to you? Lol weather is good here, I just have the problem of putting up cams in a rental house haha

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
yes, in exchange for rights to use media from my reviews for commercial gain.. pretty sweet deal as Aliexpress vendors have historically ripped off our reviews w/out giving a shit.. Since I want to upgrade my whole system with this generation I'm going to take all the savings I can get.. I have the previous 3 gens of dahua cams (at least) on hand to compare em with.

if you want to go ahead and get it from wherever you can go for it; all the varifocal models share the same optics and hardware, just in different layouts and with different size constraints that dictates what features can be included (like alarm IO).. I'm confident it'll perform as well as the turret, hence why im buying multiples even through shipping is free.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
yes, in exchange for rights to use media from my reviews for commercial gain.. pretty sweet deal as Aliexpress vendors have historically ripped off our reviews w/out giving a shit.. Since I want to upgrade my whole system with this generation I'm going to take all the savings I can get.

if you want to go ahead and get it from wherever you can go for it; all the varifocal models share the same optics and hardware, just in different layouts and with different size constraints that dictates what features can be included (like alarm IO).. I'm confident it'll perform as well as the turret, hence why im buying multiples even through shipping is free.
Know anything about this seller? I've messaged Andy to ask when he's getting them in but no response yet. Online Shop Free Shipping DAHUA Security IP Camera 2MP Full HD WDR Waterproof IR Network Bullet Camera with POE without Logo IPC-HFW5231E-Z | Aliexpress Mobile

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
deliver time is: 23 days, indicating they also dont have it in stock.